Two Days Sober Today

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 days :)

Congratulations! Keep up the good work. You've got a lot of folks rooting you on!

I've been sober 14 years in AA and it is the best thing I've ever done in my life!

"We absolutely insist on enjoying life!" Page 132, "Alcoholics Anonymous"

9 days :)

Shaking has stoped now, the ol' liver doesn't hurt as much, the fears still creep up on me though.

I had the best time with my son yesterday, I can now think about him and not how sick I am.

All the brilliant ideas I had a few weeks ago now seem like madness. I think my head is starting to clear a bit.

Thanx for the support all of you.

9 days :)

Shaking has stoped now, the ol' liver doesn't hurt as much, the fears still creep up on me though.

I had the best time with my son yesterday, I can now think about him and not how sick I am.

All the brilliant ideas I had a few weeks ago now seem like madness. I think my head is starting to clear a bit.

Thanx for the support all of you.

I can't imagine what you are going through. The story of your "tiff" reminded me of many times in the past when I gave up smoking - I was almost looking to manufacture a fight so I could say "I might as well have a bloody fag then! ".

I finally managed to stop smoking and have not touched the 'evil weed' for almost 6 years.

I wish you every success in your personal battle. Good luck.

Edited by Chaimai

Livinginexile,

I have the greatest respect for you, you have stuck to this and you are going to win.

I can only imagine how difficult this has been for you.

I was drinking 3 large Chang per day, and a lot of people would not consider that excessive. Medical professionals would say otherwise. I would occasionally have 3 or 4 days of no drinking to give my body a bit of time to recuperate, but these periods of abstinence were getting further and further apart.

I realised that I had not taken a break from drinking for more than 6 months and so I had to take a few days off. I actually found it very difficult this time, obviously, it was becoming too much of a habit.

So I managed a 3 day break and then decided to limit myself to 2 large bottles per day. After 3 days I was back on 3 a day and then I saw your first post "2 days sober". You encouraged me to resume the break, so I've not had a drink for a week now.

Thanks for that :)

4 days - well done

That's 4 BIG steps on the road to Jungwat "Take control of my own life"

Congrats.

Keep it up BIG man.

When you are feel you can try to go back to your local order a soft drink or water

(your mates should support you) if they dont they are not mates! have a couple when you go

out you will feel a great you can do it.

When you feel you have conquered it your next step is to go back to your local have a couple

of beers only! enjoy them and leave. You know you are in total control when you can have a

drink enjoy it and leave, it is hard but the only way to prove to your self that you are in total control

good luck you can do it

Doing this on your own is next to impossible. The above advice is beyond nasty. It's vulgar and evil. Stay as far away from any bars as possible.

Try to look at it as if the war that goes on in your head is one you'll never win, and get your ass to an AA meeting. Stay away from your old drinking buddies. Meet some winners. There's too much you're missing by doing it on your own. Three pages and only one person has told you to do this. Hard to believe.

Alcohol is a very destructive drug. Probably worse than most that are illegal. It's your worst enemy.

Livinginexile,

I have the greatest respect for you, you have stuck to this and you are going to win.

I can only imagine how difficult this has been for you.

I was drinking 3 large Chang per day, and a lot of people would not consider that excessive. Medical professionals would say otherwise. I would occasionally have 3 or 4 days of no drinking to give my body a bit of time to recuperate, but these periods of abstinence were getting further and further apart.

I realised that I had not taken a break from drinking for more than 6 months and so I had to take a few days off. I actually found it very difficult this time, obviously, it was becoming too much of a habit.

So I managed a 3 day break and then decided to limit myself to 2 large bottles per day. After 3 days I was back on 3 a day and then I saw your first post "2 days sober". You encouraged me to resume the break, so I've not had a drink for a week now.

Thanks for that :)

Hi Loong;

Firstly let me thank you for all the support you have given me over the past week, I allways look forward to seeing your posts. You and others have been a really strong support for me that I can honestly say it got me over the line a couple of times.

Gee mate, a week...thats great. A couple of years ago I too tried to moderate my drinking but as with yourself I would last a few days on "half rations" so to speak and then I would reward myself with a bender to celibrate my new found resolve. Only to find myself back on the merry-go-round once again.

For me, it's got to be total abstanance. I know beyond any doubt where that first drink will take me, back to missery for me and my family.

I'm off to an AA meeting tomorrow, I now feel well enough mentaly and physically to sit through 1 and half hours. I'm looking forward to it actually.

Good on you Loong and all the best.

The fact that you are planning to go to a recovery meeting tomorrow is a great sign. It proves that your motivation hasn't begun to wane. A problem that I had for years was that once I physically began to feel better after a few days sober my motivation would fall away. You do not seem to be falling into that trap - great.

I tried to quit 5 tmes on my own, then I got into a good quit and 4 months in, I was isolating and going a little nuts so I went to an AA meeting and it helped. It doesn't make sense but then again it makes all the sense in the world. I'm now over 1-1/2 years sober and it keeps gettting better.

Livinginexile, congrats on your time. Don't think of it as the rest of your life; do it one day at a time. I am coming up on 15 years. The bottom line is: I don't drink one day at a time. No matter what happens, I will not drink today. When I get up tomorrow, I start over. Good luck man. What you're doing is not easy, but it gets easier. I've found life to be much better sober.

For me, it's got to be total abstanance. I know beyond any doubt where that first drink will take me, back to misery for me and my family.

I'm off to an AA meeting tomorrow, I now feel well enough mentaly and physically to sit through 1 and half hours. I'm looking forward to it actually.

Wow, I think that you have just made such an important statement.

So many people look on alcohol as a friend, but you have actually declared it your enemy!

Alcohol is not a friend, it is not a crutch to help you through the bad times, it's a sneaky enemy that pretends to be your friend and kicks away any support that you may have.

The other day, you had a tiff with your wife and the little devil on your shoulder started to whisper in your ear " Go on, go on, go and buy a bottle, it will help you, you can drown your sorrows"

You did so well to resist this little devil and its lies and you stuck with your commitment.

If you have a little problem and this devil starts to whisper again, just remember......

You can't drown your sorrows - sorrows can swim.

I hope that you found the AA meeting useful.

I look forward to 11,12,20,100,etc days (although the thread may be a bit long by then)

Livinginexile, congrats on your time. Don't think of it as the rest of your life; do it one day at a time. I am coming up on 15 years. The bottom line is: I don't drink one day at a time. No matter what happens, I will not drink today. When I get up tomorrow, I start over. Good luck man. What you're doing is not easy, but it gets easier. I've found life to be much better sober.

11 days :D

Geez 15 years.

That seems like an eternity for where I am looking :D I guess thats what's difference about doing AA.

I went to a meeting last night and this guy said "it's actually not difficult to stop drinking, the hard bit is to stay stoped".

From my past experiences that little jem hit home.

I'm off to a family BBQ today, they don't even know I've stoped drinking. It's going to be the first time I've been around alcahol. I feel safe though, my resolve is still strong. My big brother is going to be pissed off that I'm not drinking. Should be interesting :)

"All day everyday",....was me too except I could completely stop for a month or two.Gradually the gaps got longer and the buzz of the first pint turned into the fear of getting back on the booze.Don't expect too much but as they say at AA your heading in the right direction. Good luck mate.

12 days :)

I was at a family BBQ yesterday, everyone was drinking beer as usual.

Suddenly out of the blue I felt like a drink, just like that. Boy it was a strong compulsion too.

I didn't drink but I tell you, when the compulsion comes up it comes up strong.

Anyway 12 days today and physically I am feeling fine.

You are doing so well, 12 days is like a lifetime in this situation, and I am so pleased you got through the family BarBQ ok, you have so much support here and I feel sure it must be helping.

We are all with you - you are in deed a big man with a lot of living to look forward too.

All the very best

14 days :)

When I was 2 days sober 14 days seemed like a long way off.

I still wake up in the morning feeling like a huge hangover but without the headache. Has anyone else experienced this in early sobriety?

Last night I had a drinking dream, very disturbing. My wife says I am very restless through the night.

Thanx for the suport guys.

I'll just try to keep it in the day.

I walked for miles and miles today with my son, it helped take my mind off the booze.

It's a hard one isn't it?

But I didn't drink today and that means everything to me.

Good work..try to rely on God,as left to our own devices we are often weak and led into tempation.You don't necessarly need the 12 step program.It works, however many people quit without AA, probably over 99%. Being a dry drunk is better than being drunk, but the goal should be to realize complete happiness and peace of mind, without the handicap of a few hours of fun for way more hours of misery.

Thanx for the suport guys.

I'll just try to keep it in the day.

I walked for miles and miles today with my son, it helped take my mind off the booze.

It's a hard one isn't it?

But I didn't drink today and that means everything to me.

Good work..try to rely on God,as left to our own devices we are often weak and led into tempation.You don't necessarly need the 12 step program.It works, however many people quit without AA, probably over 99%. Being a dry drunk is better than being drunk, but the goal should be to realize complete happiness and peace of mind, without the handicap of a few hours of fun for way more hours of misery.

should read "temptation"

‘One Day At A Time’. All of my life I would change my thinking and subsequently I would change my behavior. I tried for years to make it work with drinking. Then, I trusted some wise people who told me that if I changed my behavior, they would help me change my thinking. That was over 20 years ago, one day at a time.

14 days :)

When I was 2 days sober 14 days seemed like a long way off.

I still wake up in the morning feeling like a huge hangover but without the headache. Has anyone else experienced this in early sobriety?

Last night I had a drinking dream, very disturbing. My wife says I am very restless through the night.

At 2 days, 2 weeks was a long way off, it just proves how far you have progressed already.

Anyone know what to do in BKK?

I have an ex- colleague who is slowly killing himself.

He has done AA, and I think he has had anti-abuse tablets (??) in the past. The place in Kachanaburi is expensive it seems,. I don't think he will go to a Wat.

I am not qualified to say whether he needs to go in a ward, or if he can have tablets at home. Ideally he needs some kind of good psychiatrist in BKK, who will give him the tablets he needs and see him regularly. maybe Bumrungrad or somewhere, I was going to suggest that. But...I don't know which place does that stuff.

Any comments would be helpful.

thanks

P Ed

Hi Paul,

I believe there are some very good detox centres in Bangkok. Some are expensive, some are cheap. But your friend has to want to do this himself, he has to be ready otherwise it's a waist of time.

I never went myself, I only got as far as getting some details whilst I was in Thailand.

I can give you the details and contact numbers if you PM me.

Good luck with your friend

All the best

I see you are keeping up the good work. The best of luck.

Could you - or anybody who has information on detox centres/hospitals provide more detailed information, please.

Name, address, tel., Can I smoke ?, Bring a laptop?, Use a cellphone, Order fastfood (stupid question when you are dying from alcohol - I know), Bring my wife and kids, ????

And approximately price (with no complications). If I cannot afford it here, I have to leave for my home country.

Thanks