Two Days Sober Today

When you feel you have conquered it your next step is to go back to your local have a couple

of beers only! enjoy them and leave. You know you are in total control when you can have a

drink enjoy it and leave, it is hard but the only way to prove to your self that you are in total control

good luck you can do it

I'm not sure about this advice. Seems like tempting fate, especially so early on. I say keep yourself away from anywhere where there might be people drinking.

As soon as you have a couple it might be easy to rationalise in your head that what harm would one more do.... slippery slopes should be avoided!

Good luck and well done for getting this far. Keep it up.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you feel you have conquered it your next step is to go back to your local have a couple

of beers only! enjoy them and leave. You know you are in total control when you can have a

drink enjoy it and leave, it is hard but the only way to prove to your self that you are in total control

good luck you can do it

I'm not sure about this advice. Seems like tempting fate, especially so early on. I say keep yourself away from anywhere where there might be people drinking.

As soon as you have a couple it might be easy to rationalise in your head that what harm would one more do.... slippery slopes should be avoided!

Good luck and well done for getting this far. Keep it up.

gotta agree, you can't go back. My dad always jokes when people offer to buy him a drink, "You can't afford to buy me a drink".

He celebrated his 30th sobriety birthday a year ago. (oops, just dated myself! :) )

Well done livinginexile for making the decision and starting to carry it out. It wont be easy so you will need to make some small changes to your life to help yourself out.

For a start dont stop drinking, just change your drink. I drank soda water every time I wanted a drink and actually got to like it. It filled the need for a drink [and my belly] and at the time I stopped I had a bar and a restaurant, so I had plenty of opportunity to drink.

Then also try to change your life style a bit. The mates in the pub are not really the be all and end all of your life, do something different. Go different places. Think of some absorbing hobby. Try exercising more vigorously

But at the end of the day you will only stop drinking alcohol if you really want to do so. Not because of your wife or kids or health or whatever. Only if you have made the decision your going to stop. Even then that voice inside you will be trying to pull you down to break your confidence and resolve.

Keep telling everyone you stopped drinking and for how long and then keep face, it helps.

Good luck

Be aware, man - slipping is the easiest option.

Everything was arranged for my wife's sister to come and help taking care of the children (girl 2 y., boy 1mth.) so I didn't open the 6AM beer today. The plan was that I stay alone in another room (can you sober up - at 52 - with to babies, a nagging wife and thai TV 24/24?)

9AM the sister called - cannot come (sic).

I am afraid to leave my wife alone with the children - we have had domestic accidents already - in Europe it will be called 'negligence' or something.

So I opened a Heineken 9AM ... (and steated to figure out what do next time).

DO NOT LOSE THOSE 3-4-5-........ days!

I've been trying to get off the piss for 3 years and today I am 2 days sober.

Enough is enough, I choose life over a slow miserable death. That's what it's come down to for me.

Amazing how much better I feel after only 48 hours.

well done mate.if you need support PM me

Ive been sober 16 years

Its a blessing from God to me .

One day sober is great....

But if I can do it anyone else can also.

I was one of the worst...might I say, one of the best at drunks , but now I love life and living.

Edited by Americanmade

5 days :)

Hi all,

I feel a lot better today. The shaking has nearly stoped but the ol' nerves are still on end.

Suprisingly, except for a few brief moments, I haven't felt like drinking!

That can all change in a wink I know but up untill now the compulsion has gone.

Thanks to all of you for your suport. I feel there are too many people watching my progress to slip up now :D

I have the best wife in the world. She has been so suportive. I really could not have got this far without her.

Thanx again all y'all

Well done,

I'm happy to hear that you are feeling better today.

I'm sure that you will feel a little better and stronger with every day of your new life.

How does your son like his new Father?

What a great thread. I nearly lost everything to booze, but now have almost three years sober. My life has been wonderful since escaping my addiction. I sometimes think that life can't possibly get any better, but then it does.

Livinginexile, could i suggest that you find a suitable container and each day, put the money into it that you would have spent on booze.

Could even be one of those pots you have to break open (I forget the name).

At the end of 12 months you'll be able to take the family on a nice holiday which will in effect, be free.

I'd only put the money in at bed time, so that if you do slip, you won't be able to put it in & that in itself will then annoy you.

6 days today :)

I Still got the fears in the morning but othwise I feel good.

I'm going to take my son fishing today, we have a lot of catching up to do. It's amazing how perseptive a three year old is. I think he knows what's going on in his own little way. Makes me feel sad.

Good for you mate, keep going.

You, your wife, and son deserve the better life that not drinking will give you.

Life is too good to be spent in the blur of alcohol, hopefully each day will get easier for you.

You're putting good, quality years on your life by sticking with this decision you've made. Keep it up.

Good Man 1 Week Thats great

You can't slip now just think of all the stick you would get from Your TV Supporters.

Take a round of Applause Your Doing it. It's a big Hill but your almost at the Top thats for sure

Well Done

Stand up and take a bow.

You've committed yourself to this and you've stuck with it.

You should be feeling proud of yourself.

I'm sure that it will start to get a little easier soon.

Respect.

Well done mate,

I am so pleased that you are doing well.

I stopped drinking nearly 4 weeks ago and have never felt physically better.

It's a big "kick" for sure.

The only drawback is that I have to stop myself from visiting bars, because I still don't trust myself around booze and drinkers (its not them that have the problem, the problem is ME)

But apart from that life is GREAT isn't it?

I've been trying to get off the piss for 3 years and today I am 2 days sober.

Enough is enough, I choose life over a slow miserable death. That's what it's come down to for me.

Amazing how much better I feel after only 48 hours.

Best of luck LivinE.

One day at a time, seems to be best for me. I presume you're stopping for health reasons, and as I am, also.

I am over 1-1/2 years sober. I too recommend using a internet journaling site.

THe longer you stay the sober, the better things get.

The issue will be whether you can quit on your own or whether you need something (a plan or program) for you to change for the better so alcohol is not the solution anymore.

Anyone know what to do in BKK?

I have an ex- colleague who is slowly killing himself.

He has done AA, and I think he has had anti-abuse tablets (??) in the past. The place in Kachanaburi is expensive it seems,. I don't think he will go to a Wat.

I am not qualified to say whether he needs to go in a ward, or if he can have tablets at home. Ideally he needs some kind of good psychiatrist in BKK, who will give him the tablets he needs and see him regularly. maybe Bumrungrad or somewhere, I was going to suggest that. But...I don't know which place does that stuff.

Any comments would be helpful.

thanks

P Ed

Best of luck LivinE.

One day at a time, seems to be best for me. I presume you're stopping for health reasons, and as I am, also.

There's three reasons I'd like to give up drinking:-

- to avoid the loss of control and drunken stupidness and huge credit card bills and ATM receipts

- to wake up alert and at home in the mornings

- I suppose health as well; and also reduce spend on drink

SC

Well done mate,

I am so pleased that you are doing well.

I stopped drinking nearly 4 weeks ago and have never felt physically better.

It's a big "kick" for sure.

The only drawback is that I have to stop myself from visiting bars, because I still don't trust myself around booze and drinkers (its not them that have the problem, the problem is ME)

But apart from that life is GREAT isn't it?

Mate it sure is;

4 weeks huh? Well done.

Same for me too, no pubs for quite a while I fear. As with you, I don't trust myself.

Something happened today that maybe you can relate to it. I have been feeling great the past couple of days except for a bit of early morning anxiety attacks but today me and the Mrs had a small tiff in the car on the way home.

The first thing that came into my head was "stuff this, I'm off to the bottle shop". Just like that. Over a petty little tiff!

Five minutes later the compulsion left me but it was a strong reminder of how fragile I am. It's only 7 days and I know this is to be expected.

We just can't let our guards down for a second in these early days.

All the best comrade. Please keep me informed of you progress.

Anyone know what to do in BKK?

I have an ex- colleague who is slowly killing himself.

He has done AA, and I think he has had anti-abuse tablets (??) in the past. The place in Kachanaburi is expensive it seems,. I don't think he will go to a Wat.

I am not qualified to say whether he needs to go in a ward, or if he can have tablets at home. Ideally he needs some kind of good psychiatrist in BKK, who will give him the tablets he needs and see him regularly. maybe Bumrungrad or somewhere, I was going to suggest that. But...I don't know which place does that stuff.

Any comments would be helpful.

thanks

P Ed

Hi Paul,

I believe there are some very good detox centres in Bangkok. Some are expensive, some are cheap. But your friend has to want to do this himself, he has to be ready otherwise it's a waist of time.

I never went myself, I only got as far as getting some details whilst I was in Thailand.

I can give you the details and contact numbers if you PM me.

Good luck with your friend

All the best