Do I Have My Information Correct?

I am a 50 year old American. I have $100 in a US Bank and I get $1,177 per month retirement.

I currently have a 1 year type o non immigrant mult entry visa that expires november 12009. I want to apply for a retirement visa and I want to know if my information is correct.

Please let me know:

When I am in Chiang Mai, I need to apply for my extension 30 days before the expiration of my current permission to stay on my O visa.

I think I have about 490K baht total annual income.

I will need a letter from the US embasy in Chiang Mai (if they do that service). I do not need to prove this income to the US embassy, they will believe me.

I ALSO need a Thai bank account which will total over 800K including my pension letter. So to be safe and considering exchange rates I should put at least 350K baht in the Thai bank account. I

can transfer that in shortly before my meeting at immigration; because I have a pension and I am exempt from the seasoning rule.

I am supposed to SWIFT transfer in the money to my Thai bank account from abroad. That means I will need some kind of wiring agreement with a US bank account.

Is this information correct, and is this all i need to do?

Joe :)

-- applying for the extension 30 days before the expiry of your current extension to stay is a safety measure for your sake. You are actually allowed to make the application much closer to the expiration date, even the last day, but that is very unwise because if anything is wrong that doesn't leave you any time to correct it.

-- To rephrase this for the OP: can someone in Chiang Mai confirm whether the US consulate there issues income letters for Thai immigration, or must he go to the US embassy in Bankok?

-- To someone in Chiang Mai, does anyone know how fresh the income letter needs to be?

-- To the OP, you also need to go to the bank just before your immigration appointment and get a letter verifying the balance (typical cost 100- 200 baht). At the same time, update your passbook and copy all the pages. This must match the balance in the letter exactly. Just before means just before, same day or day before is typical. If the letter is too old, expect resistance.

-- To the OP, you will need all the standard copies of the passport pages

-- to people in Chiang Mai, other details, how many copies, do they require proof of residence there for this application?

-- How does immigration determine exchange rate, is it the daily bank rate in the newspaper or do they guage it differently? For the OP, he should be aware he is dealing with a moving target because of exchange rates. If the total combined is one baht under 800K, that's no good. So why not take it easy and OVERFUND the bank account a bit, and relax?

-- to the OP, even though the US people do not require income proof, it is a very good idea to have some kind of proof for Thai immigration. They know the US is liberal about this and sometimes will ask for more proof from applicants at their discretion.

Edited by Jingthing

I notice you do not mention the criminal record check, or the medical certificate. In practice do they not bother with these, or is this because it is a renewal?

I plan to apply for a non-imm O, in Thailand in a few months. Never done it before, previously the 60 day TVs plus extensions have sufficed so am looking for whatever info/advice is possible.

Cheers

The records check is only for the OA visa you obtain in your home country. Most offices also do not require the medical for last few years; although you may still find an officer that does - should only take half and hour at a medical clinic and about 100 baht if they do.

We are talking about one year extensions of stay so not sure what you are saying when you say obtain a non immigrant O in Thailand - that can only be done if you plan to extend for one year. You will need to meet the income/bank requirements and be over age 50 but quite a simple process for most people.

lopburi3 thanks for your response, I am looking at the Ministry of Foregn Affairs webpage for non-imm OA (long stay) and it is slightly ambiguous but part 3 states that applications may be submitted in the applicants home/residence country or the Immigration Bureau at Soi Suan Plu. Although they don't state it perhaps they mean for renewals. Bank requirements and over 50 not a problem.

Regards

have $100 in a US Bank and I get $1,177 per month retirement.

$100 = 3480 baht $1177 = 41030 baht , so the OP has 3480 baht in a US Bank and an annual income of 492362 baht, unless I am missing a point somewhere the OP is far short of the 800,000 baht required for permission to stay (retirement)

The statement is not very clear about immigration.

What they should say is after your 1 year entry you get from the OA you can get an extension of stay at immigration.

This is when you need the money in the bank or proof income. You don't need the medical or police report for this,

But you don't have get the OA. You could get a single entry O from an embassy or consulate and then get the extension of stay or retirement if you meet the requirements.

The OA visa can only be issued in home country - you extend that at local Immigration. If you are in Thailand want want to do it here you obtain a non immigrant visa (2,000 to convert from tourist or visa exempt (21 days remaining or more)). That is then extended on a yearly basis for 1,900 baht using a TM.7 form. Money must be in Thailand or Embassy letter of income.

-- To rephrase this for the OP: can someone in Chiang Mai confirm whether the US consulate there issues income letters for Thai immigration, or must he go to the US embassy in Bankok?

-- To someone in Chiang Mai, does anyone know how fresh the income letter needs to be?

Just got one on Thursday at the Consulate here in CM. Cost-1,020 Baht.

They ( Immigration ) want a new one yearly.

have $100 in a US Bank and I get $1,177 per month retirement.

$100 = 3480 baht $1177 = 41030 baht , so the OP has 3480 baht in a US Bank and an annual income of 492362 baht, unless I am missing a point somewhere the OP is far short of the 800,000 baht required for permission to stay (retirement)

His Thai bank currently only has 100 dollars.

He plans to wire in money to bring the balance high enough when COMBINED with his pension income to be greater than 800K baht. There are three ways to qualify, bank account only (over 800K), income only, or the COMBO method. He is using the combo method, all quite legit.

I am going to assert another point. The OP is new to this and my feeling is he is rather anxious about this process and is concerned when he reads many people having different opinions about issues he isn't getting the authoritative, accurate information he needs. So I would like to suggest that this thread focus ONLY on the questions related to this OP's application and only those questions, so he can get through this without too much pain.

Edited by Jingthing

The $100 is missing 3 zeros (just a typo). I remembered a previous post by the member so I didn't say anything.

With respect, I think you are mistaken. The OP has told me personally his bank account now is very low and he plans to WIRE in money just before the application to bring it up to a level that when combined with the pension letter puts him over 800K.

A concern I have for the OP is that he needs to definitely confirm details of the actual baht conversion of his pension income so that he is sure to exceed the 800K baht needed.

Edited by Jingthing

One more note, I just turned 50 years old and could possibly get a retirement Visa but I do not want to put any money in a Thai Bank account. I currently get $1,171 per month retirement and have over $100,000 in savings.

I don't need to say anything.