"the Nation" Newspaper

pumpuiman

Is "The Nation" politically biased?  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nation is run by Suttichai Yoon, he apparently selected people with similar outlook towards democracy and progress. The flavor varies from one editor to another, and there are differences between opinion writers, but generally paper's overall content is fairly predictable.

Their own stance is that "neutrality" doesn't exist, that they have their own stand and they are not going to compromise on it.

Financially it's a publicly traded company, and once they fought off takeover bid by TRT ministers back in Thaksin's days.

Bangkok Post, btw, is a "side business" for Chirathiwat family, one of the richest in Thailand.

Just about every Thai paper has a politcal leaning one way or the other - it's more alot more "blatent" in the Thai language publications - if you can read Thai, read the Matichon or Kom Chad Luk for a week or 2.

An interesting and rather well written summary of Thailands press/media politcal leanings can be read at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_of_Thailand

At times, The Nation makes Fox News look like a paragon of journalistic integrity. The Nation is a dreadful, dreadful newspaper (and I use that word only out of habit); God only knows why this website chose to associate with such a third-rate rag.

Just about every Thai paper has a politcal leaning one way or the other - it's more alot more "blatent" in the Thai language publications - if you can read Thai, read the Matichon or Kom Chad Luk for a week or 2.

An interesting and rather well written summary of Thailands press/media politcal leanings can be read at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_of_Thailand

Thanks for that link, very interesting...and many good links contained within. I've got a couple of new favorites added to my list.

Overall, they are clearly biased editorially. So what?

Well for one thing........ :)

Sadly many folks believe what they read in a *newspaper*

Edited by flying

Most newspapers worldwide are politically biased.

for example in the UK it is well known that the Daily Mail is right wing and the Daily Mirror left wing.

So we choose to read the newspapers that report the news with more of a leaning to our way of thinking and views.

I won't express my views here...but please vote, lets see an overall opinion.

Thanks

I think that all newspapers are biased to a greater or lesser extent - they are run and written by human beings whose politacal opinions leave a mark on their work.

Two things I have noticed about the Nation though: The first is its drift to the yellow side, to the extent where it reads like a campaign brochure; the second is its deteriorating quality. Many of its articles, particularly those that appear on its website, are written in poor English and have a strident quality reminiscent of a low grade British tabloid. It's a shame, because the Nation used to be one of the best newpapers in the region, with insighful analyses on cultural, political and business issues. Now however, the Nation reads as if it is running out of time and money, and feels the need to scream to compensate for poor quality and make itself heard.

Edited by dbrenn

The Nation has opposed Thaksin's regime from the word go, from the days he was caught falsifying his asset statements and buying TV stations in the run up to the elections, from the days when he ordered secret and illegal investigation trying to prove that Nation editors are mafia engaged in all kinds of illegal activities and the hidden enemy of Thailand.

No wonder it has supported anti-Thaksin movement, though it was always sceptical of Sondhi.

As for poor quality - after attempted hostile takeover by one of Thaksin's ministers they were forced to restructure their Nationgroup that includes lots of other publications and what not. As a result The Nation, the English paper, was left financially on their own, without the support of the rest of the group, so they had to make severe staff cuts, so no proofreading of online breaking news, for example.

Every body is biased there's nothing wrong with having an opinion, taking a stand on an issue, and forget about giving every tin pot dictator the right to reply.

Do you really see any thing wrong with Hunter S Thomson's gonzo journalism, or John Pilger's one sided moral crusade's, and I don't like Pilger, but looking at the power government can unleash against its opponents, biased or distorted reporting may be the only way to get your message across.

I don't agree with distorting the news but that's the way the game has always been played.

The trick you must remember when reading the papers is this....

"Newspapers don't just deliver the news to you they deliver you to their advertisers and sponsors."

is the nation newpaper bias?

HEL.LLL YEAH !!!

they been brainwashing expats for years. and highly successful, just look at the mindless anti thaksin zombies on this forum who think Thaksin is the source of all woe and misery in Thailand lol.

the editors should be behind bars IMO for inflaming and brainwashing the masses, for incorrectly blaming a boogy man as the source of all and every problem in Thailand, and for shoddy journalism in general.

yeah i know almost every newpaper is guilty of bias in some way, but the nation excels at it.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation .

Edited by mc2

The Nation has opposed Thaksin's regime from the word go, from the days he was caught falsifying his asset statements and buying TV stations in the run up to the elections, from the days when he ordered secret and illegal investigation trying to prove that Nation editors are mafia engaged in all kinds of illegal activities and the hidden enemy of Thailand.

No wonder it has supported anti-Thaksin movement, though it was always sceptical of Sondhi.

As for poor quality - after attempted hostile takeover by one of Thaksin's ministers they were forced to restructure their Nationgroup that includes lots of other publications and what not. As a result The Nation, the English paper, was left financially on their own, without the support of the rest of the group, so they had to make severe staff cuts, so no proofreading of online breaking news, for example.

It obviously can't afford a proof reader for its website, as it publishes the most glaringly poor English. I don't suppose that bodes well for the quality of its reporting either, the good journalists would have moved on. Many newspapers are in demise to a greater or lesser extent, their advertising revenues have been eroded by the Internet, and also the state of the economy. The Nation seems one of the hardest hit, and reads more like a tabloid these days.

It's predictable that you blame the Nation's demise on Thaksin, but I think that if there were an earthquake you would probably blame that on Thaksin too :) .

It's predictable that you blame the Nation's demise on Thaksin, but I think that if there were an earthquake you would probably blame that on Thaksin too

Well, there's the case of Suriya's attempted takeover of the Nation that subsequently led to its financial difficulties as the boardroom strategy has shifted from providing better journalism to staking off potential predators.

I didn't make it up, and it happened long before PAD.

In my personal experience, the Nation has seriously eaten in Bangkok Post marketshare in the past decade, btw.

In my personal experience, the Nation has seriously eaten in Bangkok Post marketshare in the past decade, btw.

Who says I am supporting the Bangkok Post? Also a mere shadow of its former self, and on a bad day can be read cover to cover in minutes.

The Bangkok Post is also left leaning, but does occasionally present a balancing argument. The few reduced-size pages that remain are of a marginally better quality than the Nation's, and at least it's website passes a basic level of English grammar, with material that appears to have been written by reasonably educated adults.

All that other anti-Thaksin blathering as to why the Nation is so terrible, I won't bother to comment on. Thaksin has been gone for a while now, but the Nation's quality has continued to deteriorate beyond the level of a bellicose political campaign mag.

Edited by dbrenn

it's website passes a basic level of English grammar

You appear to be a Thai whose English is probably better than native English speakers themselves. Wow, I'm impressed. :) (I myself can't even tell what level of English grammar people are using on here.)

Dbrenn pen khon tee nai ler? Rean rongrean arai a? An tae nangsurepim pasa angkrit ler? Geng jang lery ner? :D

Reference:http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Double-Stand...html&st=100 post #111

I'm Thai too

:D

PS. My English isn't really good...but wasn't it supposed to be "its website" instead of "it's website"? I'm confused.

Edited by ThNiner

It obviously can't afford a proof reader for its website, as it publishes the most glaringly poor English. I don't suppose that bodes well for the quality of its reporting either, the good journalists would have moved on. Many newspapers are in demise to a greater or lesser extent, their advertising revenues have been eroded by the Internet, and also the state of the economy. The Nation seems one of the hardest hit, and reads more like a tabloid these days.

It's predictable that you blame the Nation's demise on Thaksin, but I think that if there were an earthquake you would probably blame that on Thaksin too :) .

MC2, why oh why your Thaksin Avatar??? That quirky smiling face kills me :D