"the Nation" Newspaper

pumpuiman

Is "The Nation" politically biased?  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

All that other anti-Thaksin blathering as to why the Nation is so terrible

That's a very strange criteria.

:) These people are just like their messiah. The more they keep their mouths running, the more they expose themselves of what deceitful lying bastards they are. :D You know, they just love democracy and got nothing to do with Thaksin. Blah blah blah. :D

Reference:http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Double-Stand...html&st=125 post #142

ThNiner, the difference between us seems to be that you obviously support the Democrat Party and dislike Thaksin's lot, whereas I dislike both sides. Look back and you will see that I do not have a high opinion of Thaksin.

All that I support are the principles whereby power is attained and retained through a majority mandate of the voting population, and that no government should retain power via a double standard, this being a recipe for resentment and consequent disaster.

:D

Edited by ThNiner

:) These people are just like their messiah. The more they keep their mouths running, the more they expose themselves of what deceitful lying bastards they are. :D You know, they just love democracy and got nothing to do with Thaksin. Blah blah blah. :D

Reference:http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Double-Stand...html&st=125 post #142

ThNiner, the difference between us seems to be that you obviously support the Democrat Party and dislike Thaksin's lot, whereas I dislike both sides. Look back and you will see that I do not have a high opinion of Thaksin.

All that I support are the principles whereby power is attained and retained through a majority mandate of the voting population, and that no government should retain power via a double standard, this being a recipe for resentment and consequent disaster.

:D

Your posts are getting ruder and ruder. Calling people who have an opposing political opinion 'deceitful lying bastards' is just the kind of authoritarian mindset, prevalent on both sides, that is causing all the division and violence in Thailand right now. We are all entitled to express our views, even if you don't personally share those views.

Try to assert your arguments, if indeed you have any left, in a polite and civil manner, without resorting to rude language and personal insults, if you want people to listen to what you have to say.

Edited by dbrenn

PS. My English isn't really good...but wasn't it supposed to be "its website" instead of "it's website"? I'm confused.

Well spotted! Just like the Nation, I also can't afford a proof reader. Brush up your English and you can apply for the job :)

Edited by dbrenn

Thaksin has been gone for a while now

Not even a full month yet.

I don't understand what you are getting at.

You said that the Nation's deterioration is all Thaksin's fault

I said that Thaksin has been gone for a lot more than a month, and the Nation keeps deteriorating

You now say "not even a full month yet"

Please explain further.

I would be interested to hear how members attempt to get " the real picture"

What publication(s) or websites are members reading to try to get to the facts?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Whatever publication/website you use you get bias information. Nothing gives facts or neutral analysis. People usually select the source of information that suits their own bias.

You said that the Nation's deterioration is all Thaksin's fault

I said that Thaksin has been gone for a lot more than a month, and the Nation keeps deteriorating

You now say "not even a full month yet"

Financially it's still in the same position Thaksin forced it years ago. They still can't afford qualified staff.

"Blabbering" about Thaksin is not a sign of deterioration, I thought you meant spelling mistakes on their website.

• 1 month later...

So we agree that the news reporting quality of the Nation is quite horrible, Thaksins fault or not, right ? Journalistic integrity, level of language, fact checking, independant reporting ? Nada. Poor sods can't afford good staff, pity on them, but not really my concern as I refuse to pay for such low quality journalism anymore.

I went to school with a Thai kid who was one of the smartest people I've ever met. He's now a senior bod with the BoT and writes an occasional column on the economy in The Nation. Biased or not, his opinion I would trust over anyone on matters Thai.

So we agree that the news reporting quality of the Nation is quite horrible, Thaksins fault or not, right ? Journalistic integrity, level of language, fact checking, independant reporting ? Nada. Poor sods can't afford good staff, pity on them, but not really my concern as I refuse to pay for such low quality journalism anymore.

I don't care,I have news of the World at my fingertips,biased this way,biased that way,unbiased,it's all out there.What I can't believe is that someone starts a poll and they want to withold their opinion but everybody dive in.

Every body is biased there's nothing wrong with having an opinion, taking a stand on an issue, and forget about giving every tin pot dictator the right to reply.

Do you really see any thing wrong with Hunter S Thomson's gonzo journalism, or John Pilger's one sided moral crusade's, and I don't like Pilger, but looking at the power government can unleash against its opponents, biased or distorted reporting may be the only way to get your message across.

I don't agree with distorting the news but that's the way the game has always been played.

The trick you must remember when reading the papers is this....

"Newspapers don't just deliver the news to you they deliver you to their advertisers and sponsors."

Clarification,please,just where do you stand.

Nation Group is a publicly traded company, they rely on selling their papers and advertising. I don't see how they represent anyone but the society we live in.

Ok, maybe not all segments of society, as I haven't seen ads for agricultural machinery or chicken feed, but they cover everything else from the middle class up pretty well.

Oh, and don't forget that they have a bunch of Thai language publications as well.