Why Did You Leave The Uk?

ukme

I'm an early 30's British male living in England. I have been pondering over making a move oversea's for some time now. Be interesting to know the reasons why my fellow Countryman made the move. Was it more the "push" to leave Britain, or "pull" of your adopted homeland, wherever that may be?

I know the U.K has many "good" points and nowhere is perfect but I can't help but think there must be happier/healthier/more relaxed lifestyles/cultures out there.

So for those that made the move, are you glad you did? What were your reasons? Any regrets? I'm not going to start running my Homecountry down, as I already mentioned I know it has it's good points, but sometimes I get overcome by very strong urges to up and leave.

Edited by ukme

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I left the UK around 10 years ago because i was offered work in Thailand. At that time the manufacturing started to move East and i decided to go with it, as it is all that I know. If I would have stayed in the UK i would not have been able to find work at the same level, but I don't look back in anger because i think that the circumstances did me a favour. I miss the UK sometimes and especially the family, but I also like to live in Thailand even with all the current problems. In general I have never met nicer people in the world than the Thais and I know that i will be slammed for generalising on this, but I believe that it's true.

I go back to the UK once a year and to be honest I don't like the way things are going there, I have a great life here as do many other ex pats.

Cheers, Rick.

For me the UK went down hill post late '60s. I did 12 years in the Army and felt that what I'd contributed to my home land wasn't worth the effort. I always had an urge to move to Aus, having been there. Given the oppertunity to retire early, I took it. Thailand was my start point to getting to Aus, but like most best made plans, it never worked and I never left Thailand. My advice is if you've got 'itchy feet' then move. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I visited Thailand for holiday 8 Years ago, fell in love with the place, rented my property out in the UK and moved here.

I have never regretted it, I love my life now, and I go back to the UK once or twice a Year, its so miserable, cold and seems like everyone has gone now.

The UK is not like it use to be.

I Love Thailand...

I Love Thailand...

Your still young. Travel a bit more and you'll find out how wrong you are.

I am not that young actualy !!!

I have travelled quite a lot but only ever lived in Thailand, I have no regrets at all like I previously said.

I Love Thailand. :)

Hi

Like most of the previous posters, i am very happy to be in Thailand coming from London. Sure the main attraction was meeting my (now) wife but neather the less as a self employed plumber, i felt that it was a struggle just to 'tread water.' As I have never had a single day claiming benifits, I felt it was not a good country for a (fairly) honest worker. Its only the best country in the world if you have nothing. I decided to take early retirement at the earliest opportunity.

Thailand for all its faults,gives you a far simpler life and I like the easy going attitute of the countryfolk. Sure I miss my family but am 200% happier where I am! The warm weather makes me feel healthy and younger than before too

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

I'm an early 30's British male living in England. I have been pondering over making a move oversea's for some time now. Be interesting to know the reasons why my fellow Countryman made the move. Was it more the "push" to leave Britain, or "pull" of your adopted homeland, wherever that may be?

I know the U.K has many "good" points and nowhere is perfect but I can't help but think there must be happier/healthier/more relaxed lifestyles/cultures out there.

So for those that made the move, are you glad you did? What were your reasons? Any regrets? I'm not going to start running my Homecountry down, as I already mentioned I know it has it's good points, but sometimes I get overcome by very strong urges to up and leave.

I never left the Uk - I've been here all my working life (and a large part of my childhood), but I have strong family connetcions back to the UK, and I travel there on a regular basis). The UK has many problems - its education system (at least at junior and high school level for kids) is shot through with errors and constant changes been made to catch up with the rest of Europe. More recently its politicions are getting a thorough going over for their conduct and the way they have exploited the generosity of the MP's benefits system (showing themselves to be no more honest than Joe Soap!), its an economy with a large partr of its economic asset base tied up in property prices - and the gap between the haves and have nots grows bigger and bigger. Its flooded out with immigrants - legal and illegal (whats the London figure? - something like 1 in 5 has no UK background).

What is the UK today? - a successful multiculturale society? In many respects indeed it is, but just what is the quality of life like for the average person? I never end round of bill paying (and worrying how to pay bills) - its as if you have to work to live.

Nope - there is nothing about 60million folk living in terraced houses on a small cold dark North Atlantic island that I find attractive (mind you, England can be very beautiful in summer).

If you have the oppurtunity - and oppurtunity means a job, finances, and all the other cuircumstances that make it possible - to include agremeent of wife and kids - to move out to somewhere like South East Asia, I'd grab it with both hands.

The problem is, none of the SEA countries make it easy for ex-pats to move in and participate on an equal footing (e.g. company and land ownership), and untill you've settled in and got the work permitt (or even better, the PR status), its a never ending run around to satisfy this and that departments paperwork requirements.

.... there's no generilastion: each persons circumnstances are slightyl different.

Go for it if you can - but don;t burn your bridges behind you.

Don't be shy 'PG'. I'm 56 and have no regrets revealing it. If you indicate your age, it gives an idea as to the governments you've had to endure. Edited by coventry

I joined the Army in 1975 and served all over the world, when I was posted to Hong Kong in 1990. At that point I fully intended returning to the UK to continue my career at the end of my 2-year posting. Instead I fell in love with Asia (my position entailed extensive travel throughout the region) and engineered a 1-year extension in Hong Kong, during which I signed off from the service finally leaving the army in 1993 after 18 years. I remained in HK a while as I was working for a security company there - I was moved to one of the subsidiary companies in Manila in 1994 where I stayed until 1999 when the company was sold and I was made redundant. I formed my own company and stayed in Manila working for myself a couple more years but it really ground me down and I decided to move my business to Bangkok at the end of 2000. I've been here ever since and now have my own companies registered in Hong Kong, Thailand, Cambodia and Dubai, with rep. offices in London, Los Angeles and Myanmar, with further expansion planned in the coming years if all continues to go well.

Sad to say there is really nothing I miss about England any more, though I do visit at least once a year to see my family. I am as patriotic as the next man, perhaps more so in many cases, but for me the England that I grew up in has gone, values have changed enormously, and I have no desire to move back whatsoever. I still believe Asia is a land of opportunity for those who are prepared to work hard and make short-term sacrifices for long-term gain.

So I'm approaching 20 years in Asia, and people tell me if I just stick around a bit longer I'll start getting used to it any day now...

Be interesting to hear from Brits that have spent a significant amount of time in many different Countries/culures, as well was their/my homeland...

Yep count me in.

But I think in terms of how I look at life in Thailand, more important that having lived in different cultures before coming to Thailand is having lived in Thailand then gone elsewhere before moving back again.

I'm on my 4th posting in Thailand, each interspersed with postings in other countries/cultures - My view of Thailand has changed considerably with each 'trip' as has my view of the UK.

I fully endorse Maizefarmer's last line

Go for it if you can - but don;t burn your bridges behind you.

Something that many expatriate Britons fail to acknowledge, or perhaps fail to mention is the fact that provided they themselves have not burned their own bridges they can always go home.

As a British Citizen you have a country that will have you back, will provide health care and welfare if you need it. That is a huge amount of security and offers real freedom of choice.

To me the answer is simple. I could not enjoy the life I have in Thailand in the U.K. for 50K Thai Baht per month.

So, quality of life in Thailand is much improved:

Restaurants, transportation, beer, no council tax, no TV licence, no insurance, cheap gasoline, house maintenance, fair utility bills, less VAT, cheap clothes, entertainment and nightlife, hot weather, lots of sunshine, cheap DVD's, cheap computer repairs, sport available on TV, most western food available, cheap healthcare and pharmacy etc etc.

In Britain, struggling with constant bills, ripped off left right and centre and fined for putting my wheely-bin out on the wrong day, jailed for swearing at vandals and gypsies, paying 4 quid for a single tube journey, Council tax 200 quid a month on top of 40% tax and 11% National Insurance.

I just can't get my head around life here. Guesthouse has pointed out the many benefits of being a British Citizen, all of which I am aware of, but nonetheless it feels like I'm living in an open prison - I just can't work out this Country of mine

Great replies BTW.

Hope i dont have to go back to the UK and get looked after,my wish is that i looka fter myself and family all my life and not rely on handouts.

Some posters feel the same way as me about the Uk,and i realy hope MY country gets better .

To me the answer is simple. I could not enjoy the life I have in Thailand in the U.K. for 50K Thai Baht per month.

So, quality of life in Thailand is much improved:

Restaurants, transportation, beer, no council tax, no TV licence, no insurance, cheap gasoline, house maintenance, fair utility bills, less VAT, cheap clothes, entertainment and nightlife, hot weather, lots of sunshine, cheap DVD's, cheap computer repairs, sport available on TV, most western food available, cheap healthcare and pharmacy etc etc.

In Britain, struggling with constant bills, ripped off left right and centre and fined for putting my wheely-bin out on the wrong day, jailed for swearing at vandals and gypsies, paying 4 quid for a single tube journey, Council tax 200 quid a month on top of 40% tax and 11% National Insurance.

I agree with Syd. Life's about living. As much as I don't want to be a whining pom, the UK has been trashed and I doubt it will recover in 20 years time.

Houses were too expensive . . . blah blah, in all honesty I'd never been happy there. Pathetic I know. But it's not a fight worth fighting.

Good luck to all the Brits who've stayed, I no longer have it in me.

Don't be shy 'PG'. I'm 56 and have no regrets revealing it. If you indicate your age, it gives an idea as to the governments you've had to endure.

I remember Maggie Thatcher the Milk Snatcher, she took my milk from me when I was at School..

I am not telling my age though :D

I kind of left years ago i.e selling property around the Europe.

And i've almost left on a 3 year contract which i find out about later this week.

1 Reason is despite making a living for a few years by default out of ludicrious UK property market, its unaffordable to buy property there, i had a decent deposit 2 years ago but i just wouldnt throw away my money.

2. I am for less governemnt and believe in personal FREEDOM, this is lacking in the UK now i can feel the cold hand of the govt on my shoulder at every opportunity.

3. There is going to be a huge tax tsunami, coming and i dont want to be working for the govt. and giving my proles money away for free.

I kind of left years ago i.e selling property around the Europe.

And i've almost left on a 3 year contract which i find out about later this week.

1 Reason is despite making a living for a few years by default out of ludicrious UK property market, its unaffordable to buy property there, i had a decent deposit 2 years ago but i just wouldnt throw away my money.

2. I am for less governemnt and believe in personal FREEDOM, this is lacking in the UK now i can feel the cold hand of the govt on my shoulder at every opportunity.

3. There is going to be a huge tax tsunami, coming and i dont want to be working for the govt. and giving my proles money away for free.

Yes, me too. Reasons 1, 2 and 3.

Didn't matter how much money you made/how hard you worked, property was so out of reach. I'm total debtphobic, couldn't even bare the thought of a mortgage. Glad now, becuase I've no work on and would be losing the house in the UK if I'd bought one.

I also don't want to pay for the indebted exuberance of other thanks. Or other things UK tax goes on . . . but I won't go there.

but don;t burn your bridges behind you.

Financially speaking im sure many havent, but if youre away for many years the bridges will crumble themselves i.e if people move on in life when they dont see one and other, and most people dont make the effort anymore its just how it seems to be.

That is a huge amount of security and offers real freedom of choice.

I used to be a decorator many moons ago, if i was to work on day rate doing 8-5 i'd be on 400GBP a week which just isnt enough to have a wife and kids, despite working hard i'd need governemt assistance to get a council house and raise a family, for me an honest hardworking guy should be able to do it on there own (in a self proclaimed civilised society). Before you say work harder i did and you can only work on price for so many years before it makes you ill. So there is absolutely no security or freedom there ..... i did get out of it but someone has got to do this job and similar back breaking manual jobs, if i had a wife and kids i wouldnt have been able to change career. (the first change took a huge gamble and for the 2nd one cost a lot of money)

And of course free education/ healthcare, worldclass but expensive transport infrastructure is good but i just cant see what the free choices are you speak of are anymore ... its turned into a country were people hide behind laws and bureaucracy and the government are at every corner ... stifling business with never ending laws.

But anyway after 3 years i'll probably go back as if ive a Mrs and Kids to enable them to get a UK passport that offers them the security you speak of, besides the food too fcuken good.

also don't want to pay for the indebted exuberance of other thanks. Or other things UK tax goes on . . . but I won't go there.

I will .... ive no problem paying tax so long as it would be spent on a world class education / health and transport system but its not .... the money is there but its just squandered ... rant over.

I remember Maggie Thatcher the Milk Snatcher, she took my milk from me when I was at School..

I am not telling my age though :D

30s i guess, she took mine aswell, i was chuffed to bits i used to like milk until the school thought it a good idea to give kids luke warm milk, i just couldnt drink the stuff ..... :)

Edited by sanmiguel

but don;t burn your bridges behind you.

Financially speaking im sure many havent, but if youre away for many years the bridges will crumble themselves i.e if people move on in life when they dont see one and other, and most people dont make the effort anymore its just how it seems to be.

That is a huge amount of security and offers real freedom of choice.

I used to be a decorator many moons ago, if i was to work on day rate doing 8-5 i'd be on 400GBP a week which just isnt enough to have a wife and kids, despite working hard i'd need governemt assistance to get a council house and raise a family, for me an honest hardworking guy should be able to do it on there own (in a self proclaimed civilised society). Before you say work harder i did and you can only work on price for so many years before it makes you ill. So there is absolutely no security or freedom there ..... i did get out of it but someone has got to do this job and similar back breaking manual jobs, if i had a wife and kids i wouldnt have been able to change career. (the first change took a huge gamble and for the 2nd one cost a lot of money)

And of course free education/ healthcare, worldclass but expensive transport infrastructure is good but i just cant see what the free choices are you speak of are anymore ... its turned into a country were people hide behind laws and bureaucracy and the government are at every corner ... stifling business with never ending laws.

But anyway after 3 years i'll probably go back as if ive a Mrs and Kids to enable them to get a UK passport that offers them the security you speak of, besides the food too fcuken good.

There is no security or freedom there, correcto! It's an illusion. I was self-employed, so no chance of ever claiming benefits if I was ill or had no work (which has happened). Only the responsibility of supporting a country to whom social justice is alien.

There is also little safety net for those on PAYE.

An old friend and colleague was made redundant a few years back. He was a civil engineer and senior contracts manager. Hideous debt due to a second marriage, he went to the DSS to see what he was entitled to. "We'll pay one months stamp" he was told. So the government would pay itself eight quid! He'd never been unemployed before and had been a higher rate tax payer for many years. A real contributor to society.

He now lives and works in Sydney.

also don't want to pay for the indebted exuberance of other thanks. Or other things UK tax goes on . . . but I won't go there.

I will .... ive no problem paying tax so long as it would be spent on a world class education / health and transport system but its not .... the money is there but its just squandered ... rant over.

When the bailouts started I'd had enough. The UK is bankrupt. The next Iceland.

My main reason was the respect people have for one another here, something that is clearly lacking in the modern day uk.

Tax, national insurance, council tax, TV license, road tax and insurance, petrol prices, extortionate train fares, speed bumps and cameras everywhere, expensive food, having to wait 6-12 months to see a specialist for a non life threatening injury in the 'free' health service then having to pay for vaccinations and prescriptions regardless, wheelie bin fines, hoodies and thugs outside of shops shouting abuse at people that you cannot touch because they are 15 yrs old, useless police force.

Apart from that I just felt frustrated with my life in the UK. I came out of University in a large amount of debt, despite earning reasonable money could only afford to rent some shared terraced sh!thole on a road full of chavs, thieves and druggies. Frustrated at people that get pregnant purposefully in order to get accommodation from the council while I pay and get nothing for being responsible and working for what I have. Fed up with people too lazy to get a job and claim benefits, again paid for by the taxpayer. Like an earlier poster said its the best country to be in if you having nothing - or dont want to work for anything. For those who are honest and want to get ahead in life you have to pay for the deadweights (and I am not talking about people who genuinely cant do anything). Going out for a beer and being punched for no reason by some thug(s). Life can be good in the UK but you do need to earn an enormous amount of money.

I was also fed up with the amount of immigrants taking up large estates of the UK with no interest in integrating or learning English or respecting British values. It just doesnt feel like the same England i grew up in and I am not even 30 yet.

Here I earn a modest wage and have a good quality of lifee, eat well and can walk around or go out at night and not have to worry about being punched for fun.

I really do miss my family and friends so much.

RIP UK