Iphone 2g Versus 3g

bkkmick

Considering that I don't often travel outside of Thailand (thanks school fees) and that there is (at least at the moment) no 3G available is there much of a difference between the 2G phone (which is quite cheap now) and the 3G (which isn't).

I have a 2G myself, don't see a reason to upgrade right now.

The 3G has some advantages apart from the 3G:

- A-GPRS receiver so maps and directions will be much faster and better

- Louder ringer / speaker. The 2Gs ringer is really ridiculously quiet, there is no way you can hear that in a Thai shopping mall.

But off the top of my head, that's it. The 2G is easier to hack FWIW, but I'd try to get an officially unlocked one in any case and that's probably easier to get with the 3G. I don't think there were any officially unlocked 2Gs, actually.

Edited by nikster

There will be a new model released soon - better hold on until that one comes out before making your mind up. Apparently there will be substantial changes and upgrades, OTOH things we may see;

- 600MHz CPU Speed (up from 400MHz)

- 256MB RAM (up from 128MB)

- Digital Compass and FM

- 3.2 megapixel camera with auto focus

- 32GB size

Source via google translate

Good point pazey - new one is supposed to come out in June.... which makes sense as it's exactly 2 years after the first one. Better camera and faster processor will be great, and there'll be new software which will enable a whole new class of applications, I expect app development to explode even more than it did so far....