Architects In Chiang Mai

shopgirl

I would like to know if anyone has used a reliable architect in Chiang Mai for either large scale construction (e.g. hotel or spa) or for residential purposes and can recommend their services?

what are planning/thinking to build and in what style? there are many architects but depending on what style and what materials are you thinking about using would be a factor in your choice of architects unless you are just going to go with their ideas.

Edited by gatorhead333

You should talk to Khun Daeng at May 37.

He is an excellent architect; a local man who has worked all over the world including the US and UK including hotel projects.

He has lectured in architecture in the USA and speaks fluent, technical English. He is also an extremely nice man.

My advice is talk to several architects and find out whose style of work is similar to what you want, and also find someone you feel you can connect with. Put Jadet Lotoman on that list and find him at the Garden & Friends shop right next to the now open Global House. Some architects can be very inflexible while others truly do want to please you, the customer. Best of luck!

My advice is talk to several architects and find out whose style of work is similar to what you want, and also find someone you feel you can connect with. Put Jadet Lotoman on that list and find him at the Garden & Friends shop right next to the now open Global House. Some architects can be very inflexible while others truly do want to please you, the customer. Best of luck!

Well written... that is right on ...since you are in thailand many get kicked back by plugging in thier builders,millshops , landscape design crews etc etc you pay more to get typical substandard thai materials built with choppy little rooms sometimes . ask to see /talk to previous clients that are happy where you can go and see the architects work ,most important talk with owners ... more than one..

then and most important get their real cost for their end of the design work.

He is an excellent architect; a local man who has worked all over the world including the US and UK including hotel projects.

He has lectured in architecture in the USA and speaks fluent, technical English. He is also an extremely nice man.

Thanks - this is very helpful. I checked out their website and it looks promising. :)

Well written... that is right on ...since you are in thailand many get kicked back by plugging in thier builders,millshops , landscape design crews etc etc you pay more to get typical substandard thai materials built with choppy little rooms sometimes . ask to see /talk to previous clients that are happy where you can go and see the architects work ,most important talk with owners ... more than one..

then and most important get their real cost for their end of the design work.

I was using one for a condo, and found out that if the total cost is under 500K, that there is a 25% F factor that is added on to the bill. If over 500K, then the F factor is 15%. And yes, you do have to worry about kick backs. I made the mistake of telling them that I wanted the work to be a maximum of 300K, and behold, the quote came in at 300K! I was not impressed with a 50K baht quote to put plaster on some walls, but they had to make up that 300K some how. Needless to say, I did not use them for the construction, only the design.

Good advice - many thanks. :)

Yes try Mac. I have used him on three occassions. Not only is he by far one of the cheapest registered architects in Chiang Mai but also one of the the nicest I have found. He speaks good English is so giving of his time and knows architecure from a practical standpoint too. Which is essential here. Understands budgets and construction costs. Very popular amongst the expat community. Architectural fees vary but the national fee is 7% and some even charge 10%. A fair deal is 5%. But you can sometimes get it for less. But a good licenced architect is worth every baht. He recently did a German architects house and they were very pleased and they have designed and built homes themselves. I think he advertises in the classified section. I need to check though. I know for a fact he gets no kick back from builders. He advises but is 100% honest and totally committed to the customers satisfaction. A very nice guy. He will work with you till you are happy. Offers free preliminary deigns and perspectives which is vary rare. So if you are not happy you are not obligated. But I am sure you will be. Try Mac thats my recommendation.

Edited by davidcc
  • Like 1

Jadet is a nice guy but he is not an architect. They are landscape gardners. They offer building as an extra. Get a registerd architect who works on his own. Cheaper and no kick backs.

Also whatever builder you use: Make sure they insure their construction works while being done, are a registered construction company (incase of any problems), offer a gurantee and provide a full legal contract. A legal contract should be atleast 10 pages long and cover everything. If they don't it is a clear example of how they are not professional and your project is likely to have problems. Also ask for references and go to see their previous construction works. They should be able to show you atleast 3 plus homes of similar calibre to what you wish to build. Be wary of lots of quotes. Many builders offer silly low prices and use second grade materials or they substitute them once they have got the build based on price. Many are not builders and say they do building. Then they sub it out to someone else. Only use a builder who is professional, has a web site and is actually doing it as a proper business here. Stay away from the hobby builders and those who can not provide e-mail daily back up, meetings and works guarantees. Should also have a office and one construction guy who has atleast 10-20 years of experience. Many real estate agents offer build services but are not builders. Also guys looking for something to do in Thailand but work from home...be careful. My 20 years experience here has taught me this atleast :) Do a search for Chiang mai builders and approach them yourself.

Edited by davidcc

Jadet is a nice guy but he is not an architect. They are landscape gardners. They offer building as an extra. Get a registerd architect who works on his own. Cheaper and no kick backs.

landscape design guys here are the worst deal on earth!!! the pensil in 3-5% of total home cost. now if they bring in the architect or a builder they are now pensiled in for a lot more %. shop ,shop .shop and then talk talk talk to previous homeowners several not one!! all architects have some "happy folks" to praise them here. websites are cheap to put up too ,always wonder what is what on the website as far as who did what for how much $.so think who done it and who ended up happy with true final cost...don't be one of the people that say... not too bad for thailand... it is 2009 expect more!!!

i have never heard of architect working for a true 7%... for farangs hiring out you pay double for the same bulding work as you would get going to local suppliers..hire your own men but most can not do this ... just the way it is.... plus you will get the cheapest made electrical outlets etc etc type goods that is out there...

so shop shop shop and talk talk talk!!!!

Edited by gatorhead333

Good advice rom Gator. But the national association of architects fee is 7%. You should get it for between 3-5%. I think that is okay from my experience. Fair as they are worth every penny if they are good. But stay away from a landscape gardner who offers architects services. However nice they are :) I also strongly advise using a builder who has a foreign professional involved. If it costs you a bit more so what ? It could save you so much hassle and problems. Read the horror stories of the wannabe builders who try to do it themselves. Its a joke and full of problems.

Good advice rom Gator. But the national association of architects fee is 7%. You should get it for between 3-5%. I think that is okay from my experience. Fair as they are worth every penny if they are good. But stay away from a landscape gardner who offers architects services. However nice they are :) I also strongly advise using a builder who has a foreign professional involved. If it costs you a bit more so what ? It could save you so much hassle and problems. Read the horror stories of the wannabe builders who try to do it themselves. Its a joke and full of problems.

if the architect brings in the builder here ,recommend builder he gets points, brings in millwork man.. he get over ride... unlike USA

and yes to be your own man hiring and firing you would have to be someone that is more than a person just wanting to build a home,spa etc, here

you would have to be in biz somewhat.patient not in hurry ,ready to fire people, speak language and plugged in well then you come out at 1/2 cost using fine stuff getting exactly what you need.. but yes the horror stories are world wide for homeowner builders that are not in tune.

Edited by gatorhead333

• 1 year later...

My boyfriend is highly qualified. He is in the process of designing a resort in Kao Yai as well as a golf course club house near Bangkok. He has designed club houses before and other large scale projects, such as condominiums and racetrack carpits. He is Boston educated and speak English fluently. If you would like more information, please send me a private message. He splits his time between Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

Thanks!

Ana