Urgent Question

Having worked in BKK for the last 3 years on a Non B visa, I was made redundant last week. Now my visa is expiring, I was going to shoot across and get a tourist visa to cover the next few months where i have interviews arranged. My plan was to go across border into Malaysia get a 15 day entry stamp to cover some important dates down south, then go back on the 21st to Penang and get a 2 month visa.

I spoke with a friend a few moments ago and he said due to the fact I'd been on the B visa, I would have to leave the country for a couple of weeks before returning....

Whats the score?

You do not have to leave for any amount of time. But if you were on a one year extension of stay it ended when your employment ended. To stay longer you have to obtain a 7 day extension from Immigration. So if it was not a normal 90 day visa entry it is best you leave as soon as you can. You are free to come back on visa exempt 15 day, 30 day or on visa entry and it can be the same day if you want.

It depends if you have a valid mulitple non-B visa or are on 1 year extensions of stay from immigration in Thailand itself. if it is the last, you had to leave the country the day you were made redundant. If you did not do that, you are on overstay.

If you are staying in Thailand on a valid Non-B visa and didn't get an extension of stay from immigration you don't have to lave the country till your current permission of stay expires.

There is no need to stay away from Thailand for a while. When you leave you can come right back in. Note that currently you cna get a double entry tourist visa in Vinetianne, Laos. They are free till June 4th.

It depends if you have a valid mulitple non-B visa or are on 1 year extensions of stay from immigration in Thailand itself. if it is the last, you had to leave the country the day you were made redundant. If you did not do that, you are on overstay.

If you are staying in Thailand on a valid Non-B visa and didn't get an extension of stay from immigration you don't have to lave the country till your current permission of stay expires.

There is no need to stay away from Thailand for a while. When you leave you can come right back in. Note that currently you cna get a double entry tourist visa in Vinetianne, Laos. They are free till June 4th.

Although I was made redundant, I have been put on garden leave until the WP and visa expire, so the official end date will be the day my visa expires.

I arrived on a non-b and have never left the country in the last 3 years, the company lawyer took care o f everything. All i did was once a year go to immigration in BKK, smile pay some cash and there it was done. The stamp in my passport says "Extension of stay permitted until ...... "

Cheers for the Laos trip, currently in Songkla so easy for now to get the 15 day stamp and then proceed from there depending on interviews in BKK and there dates.