Pattaya Is Dead Dead Dead

MeetJohnDoe

Spent this afternoon looking at condos for rent at Viewtalay 6 on Pattaya beach with sea view. On a 1 year contract, owners want 25+/month plus utilities. I could understand if this were monthly or for a 3 month deal but for 1 year, I think it's too steep.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent this afternoon looking at condos for rent at Viewtalay 6 on Pattaya beach with sea view. On a 1 year contract, owners want 25+/month plus utilities. I could understand if this were monthly or for a 3 month deal but for 1 year, I think it's too steep.

Yikes. You can get a seriously nice 200 m2 house on the East side for that kind of money.

I have lived in Pattaya for 7 years, and then moved to Cambodia one year ago. I can tell you that i don't miss this city even if i Still have good friends here.

I fly to my home country 3 times a Year i just come to Pattaya a couple of days before going to swampy airport. I have a very close friend who run a successfull business (weel known beer bar in the dark side) he makes money but he just want to leave this place because is fed up with the thai way of life.

Anyway to all the Pattaya lovers (mostly newbees or very old mens) stay in Pattaya and please don't come to Cambodia or to lao.

We don't need to many people here, we just want that it stay like it is today ( same as thailand 10 years ago ) We don't need 2 weeks millionaires who overpaid everything and fuc_k the market. Pease enjoy your life in pattaya. :)

I have lived in Pattaya for 7 years, and then moved to Cambodia one year ago. I can tell you that i don't miss this city even if i Still have good friends here.

I fly to my home country 3 times a Year i just come to Pattaya a couple of days before going to swampy airport. I have a very close friend who run a successfull business (weel known beer bar in the dark side) he makes money but he just want to leave this place because is fed up with the thai way of life.

Anyway to all the Pattaya lovers (mostly newbees or very old mens) stay in Pattaya and please don't come to Cambodia or to lao.

We don't need to many people here, we just want that it stay like it is today ( same as thailand 10 years ago ) We don't need 2 weeks millionaires who overpaid everything and fuc_k the market. Pease enjoy your life in pattaya. :D

BY! :)

We don't need to many people here, we just want that it stay like it is today ( same as thailand 10 years ago ) We don't need 2 weeks millionaires who overpaid everything and fuc_k the market. Pease enjoy your life in pattaya. :D

The only thing I envy you guys in PP is your "happy" pizzas :)

We don't need to many people here, we just want that it stay like it is today ( same as thailand 10 years ago ) We don't need 2 weeks millionaires who overpaid everything and fuc_k the market. Pease enjoy your life in pattaya. :)

Good post.......lets those with a brain know that people (with money) are leaving for better places. I was in PP and SNVL some time ago and was shocked at the rapid pace of development.

I thought the Cambodian people were much nicer (on average) than Thais.....certainly could speak better English than Thais.......and the expats were of a different variety.....virtually all thought Thailand was a sinking ship.

What I did not like was the cost of living in Cambodia.....too bad as it has a lot going for it. SNVL reminded me of Pattaya about 15-20 years ago......but growing fast.

I too hope the love Pattaya or leave it crowd remains in a permanent state of delusion and crosses Cambodia off of their travel plans.

I can't believe there are so many losers grovelling in 4th world countries. You must be very poor indeed to consider Pattaya too expensive. One day Cambodia will become too expensive for you too and you'll have find a cheaper toilet to live in.

I can tell you with certainty, this is one member you don't have to worry about seeing in Cambodia and even less chance of seeing in Laos except when I'm doing a visa run.

Enjoy your life in Cambodia and Laos while you still can.

Keep your eye on Burma.

I can't believe there are so many losers grovelling in 4th world countries. You must be very poor indeed to consider Pattaya too expensive. One day Cambodia will become too expensive for you too and you'll have find a cheaper toilet to live in.

I can tell you with certainty, this is one member you don't have to worry about seeing in Cambodia and even less chance of seeing in Laos except when I'm doing a visa run.

Keep your eye on Burma.

Maybe you did not read my post. My impression--each time I have visited Cambodia--is that it is more expensive to live there than in Pattaya.....not less. Since most of the love Thailand or leave it crowd embrace the money = good person concept, it seems that a better class of expats is moving to Cambodia.

Laugh at that all you want.......but it certainly seems like a reality to me. Many of the expats in Cambodia have businesses (easy to do there) and a fairly high quality of life. In PP you can find good housing........but in SNVL that is still a challenge. But it will be an easier challenge in the future.

The "toilet" you talk about is already here: Pattaya-Jomtien. It is a nice toilet as toilets go, but a toilet nevertheless. It is a place that can ruin both your mental and physical health (the number of jumpers seems to bear that out).

And now it has become a bit dangerous as these headlines suggest:

Two Russian tourists shot dead at ‘Jomtien beach’ Pattaya City

PATTAYA – FRIGHTENED FISHERMEN FIND HEADLESS HUMAN REMAINS ON BEACH

Pattaya violence disrupts ASEAN meeting

Keep your eye on Burma.

Maybe you did not read my post. My impression--each time I have visited Cambodia--is that it is more expensive to live there than in Pattaya.....not less. Since most of the love Thailand or leave it crowd embrace the money = good person concept, it seems that a better class of expats is moving to Cambodia.

Laugh at that all you want.......but it certainly seems like a reality to me. Many of the expats in Cambodia have businesses (easy to do there) and a fairly high quality of life. In PP you can find good housing........but in SNVL that is still a challenge. But it will be an easier challenge in the future.

The "toilet" you talk about is already here: Pattaya-Jomtien. It is a nice toilet as toilets go, but a toilet nevertheless. It is a place that can ruin both your mental and physical health (the number of jumpers seems to bear that out).

Buddy, you have chosen the wrong board. If you don't like it here, stay there and write your comments is any Khmer board. Better class of expats in Cambodia? I doubt it.

Keep your eye on Burma.

Buddy, you have chosen the wrong board. If you don't like it here, stay there and write your comments is any Khmer board. Better class of expats in Cambodia? I doubt it.

It was a response to people here who keep saying things about Cambodia that are not true.....stop saying those things and you will not receive responses like the one I posted......simply trying to put thing in perspective.

It was a response to people here who keep saying things about Cambodia that are not true.....stop saying those things and you will not receive responses like the one I posted...

That's rich coming from someone who hasn't posted a true statement about Pattaya in months...if ever.

Good post.......lets those with a brain know that people (with money) are leaving for better places. I was in PP and SNVL some time ago and was shocked at the rapid pace of development.

I thought the Cambodian people were much nicer (on average) than Thais.....certainly could speak better English than Thais.......and the expats were of a different variety.....virtually all thought Thailand was a sinking ship.

What I did not like was the cost of living in Cambodia.....too bad as it has a lot going for it. SNVL reminded me of Pattaya about 15-20 years ago......but growing fast.

I too hope the love Pattaya or leave it crowd remains in a permanent state of delusion and crosses Cambodia off of their travel plans.

One thing i dont understand is ,if you prefer Cambodia and dont like Pattaya ,why do you keep reading and posting on a thai website ? post on a board of the country you now prefer.

One thing i dont understand is ,if you prefer Cambodia and dont like Pattaya ,why do you keep reading and posting on a thai website ? post on a board of the country you now prefer.

The assumptions underpinning your statements are not entirely true. What is absolutely true is that I will respond to false and misleading posts that are xenophobic in character.

The assumptions underpinning your statements are not entirely true. What is absolutely true is that I will respond to false and misleading posts that are xenophobic in character.

I don't see how anyone could possibly consider anywhere in Cambodia as an alternative to living in Pattaya. Perhaps a sex tourist may consider the GFE more intense in Cambodia due to the level of poverty, but other than that, it's a pretty poor alternative in all other areas.

I very much doubt that a lot of people would transfer to Cambodia if visa regulations became too prohibitive in Thailand.

I don't see how anyone could possibly consider anywhere in Cambodia as an alternative to living in Pattaya. Perhaps a sex tourist may consider the GFE more intense in Cambodia due to the level of poverty, but other than that, it's a pretty poor alternative in all other areas.

I very much doubt that a lot of people would transfer to Cambodia if visa regulations became too prohibitive in Thailand.

They already have.....lots of them. I don't know the last time you were there (if ever), but if you go to PP or SR or SNVL now you might see a different Cambodia than even five years ago.

The annual economic growth rate in Cambodia has been twice that of Thailand for many years (maybe not now due to the global economic downturn). It even surpassed China a few years ago.

The pace of development is staggering. Who is investing? Japan, Russia and China are big players.......Malaysia to a lesser extent and a host of smaller players.

The country has benefited from events taking place in Thailand.

The place that I find intriguing is SNVL/SNV (Sihanoukville). Now it is a small port town with few Western amenities. But it is growing fast. It also is the site of Cambodia's major port and a new airport is set to open soon for international travelers.

It is like Pattaya 15-20 years ago.........but, as stated, it is rapidly growing. The President has just built a new mansion right on the beach and under his direction many of the old huts on the beach have been cleared out.

Soon more hotels will sprout up along with (hopefully) some good, oceanfront condos.

If you have only visited the border towns (very dismal places), you really have not visited Cambodia.

All I can think of when it comes to Cambodia is the mass exodus of foreigners in about 1997-8 after all of the political violence when Hun Sen took over the country. Of course there had been tons of robberies and killings on a daily basis long before that.

I used to visit every once in a while and the newspapers were full of quotes from expats that I knew, like Bert of Bert's Books, who had lost everything and had no intention of ever coming back.

Thailand has never gotten close to being that crazy, but it is almost situation normal for Cambodia - Of course they make it easy to take up residence there.

Buyer beware.

I am really happy to see that my post has made people react. I retired at 40 , and even in this times of crisis i still make 10K € a month with a good capital in bank :D For the ones who speak about cheap charly who cannot afford Pattaya price you're wrong. I had 3 condos 2 in View Tallay 1 and one in VT2, but i bought them for 350 K Bath each in VT1 and 600 K Bath in VT2, and sold IN VT1 1million each and 1.5 in VT2 :D . I was spending about 2 Millions Bath a year in Pattaya and i am fluent in Thai :D

Cambodian people ( even the rich ones ) doesnt think they are number one , or their country is the hub of all hub.

IF I have lived Thailand it is only because of the Thai mental attitude. And only blind or brainless people can declare that they had no negative changes and that this place is still paradise . 7 years ago most of them where doing the traditional "wai" when you were a customer ( even the girls :) )

Now they far more agressive. They were all dreaming about becoming rich very quickly ( without working or with the pussy of their daughter , wife ) and now that this dream is over it will get worse and worse. :D

And as an open mind guy i understand that newbees and very old mens like this place because even with all the changes mentioned frequently in all the thai forums , you can still have girls here when you are not able to have even an old one in your home country :D :D :D

They already have.....lots of them. I don't know the last time you were there (if ever), but if you go to PP or SR or SNVL now you might see a different Cambodia than even five years ago.

The annual economic growth rate in Cambodia has been twice that of Thailand for many years (maybe not now due to the global economic downturn). It even surpassed China a few years ago.

The pace of development is staggering. Who is investing? Japan, Russia and China are big players.......Malaysia to a lesser extent and a host of smaller players.

The country has benefited from events taking place in Thailand.

The place that I find intriguing is SNVL/SNV (Sihanoukville). Now it is a small port town with few Western amenities. But it is growing fast. It also is the site of Cambodia's major port and a new airport is set to open soon for international travelers.

It is like Pattaya 15-20 years ago.........but, as stated, it is rapidly growing. The President has just built a new mansion right on the beach and under his direction many of the old huts on the beach have been cleared out.

Soon more hotels will sprout up along with (hopefully) some good, oceanfront condos.

If you have only visited the border towns (very dismal places), you really have not visited Cambodia.

The only places I've visited in Cambodia are Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. Spent about one week there in late 2006.

I'm well aware that development is booming, but it's never going to hold a candle to Pattaya. In 15 - 20 years from now it's still going to be 15 - 20 years behind. Pattaya doesn't exactly stand still.

I'm also well aware that a certain types of expats have moved there from Thailand in reasonable numbers, but it really takes a special type of person to call a toilet like Cambodia home.

I have few complaints about this toilet named Pattaya. :)

@ tropo

Why do you think that any place in Cambodia want to compete or become Pattaya ? They even don't want it at any price. If you knew cambodian people a little , you will understand that they are not thinking like the thai ( I mean the one whe have in Pattaya not the Bangkok elite) They don't send their chirldren to the sex industry like it is a normal thing even the poor ones.

Of course you have a sex trade , but like everywhere in the world especialy in Asia.

When you speak about a certain type of expat you make me laugh, come on guy everbody knows that people who live in Pattaya only came here for the beach the sun and the thai culture :)

Do you Have a thai girl friend ? Do your friends have thai GF ?

Where do you (they) meet her (them) ?

Even if it is not in a bar , do she (they) come because you (they) are a handsome or very clever guy(s) ?

Open your mind and your eyes :D , they're is not only Pattaya in Asia and you have people who came to asia for a certain Asian way of life

Do you think that seven eleven, Huge shopping Malls , bank and condo on oversupply everywhere is real asia ?

I was a Pattaya addict. But don't worry it is easy to to unhook :D

I never said in my different posts that Cambodia is better than Thailand but it's a different way to feal asia. I just gave my opinion as a guy who knows Pattaya very well and who is still coming from time to time to visit his old friends.

Some people in this board are overreacting like they where Thai , some because they are disenchanted of thais

I will live Cambodia for Lao PDR at the end of the year because i Love asia and in asia you can find your "paradise" everywhere :)

They already have.....lots of them.

Can I join in ?

Can you tell me why when bored of Thailand you would move to Cambodia ?

Why the fanscination with poor countries ?

Why don't you move to a rich country ?

Why would an alternative to Thailand be Cambodia ?

Why not Japan or Singapore or Hong Kong, or are you financially straightjacketed to poor countries only ?

Are you one of the hoardes of old western men I saw when I went to Phnom Phem for the first and certainly the last time ?

Why does your world exist around poor South East Asian countries when you obviously come from a developed western country ?

And you Nurse why are you coming to Pattaya ? Facination for poor girls from Isaan probably

A strange assumption, not everyone wants the sex trade

I never came to Thailand for that,

I came to Thailand for a holiday, I bought my wife, my grand daughter, we all enjoyed ourselves, we have travelled to various parts of Thailand and enjoyed it, just because the sex trade is there, it doesnt mean to say we have to get involved in it

I know there are other things to do in Thailand :)

They already have.....lots of them.

Can I join in ?

Can you tell me why when bored of Thailand you would move to Cambodia ?

Why the fanscination with poor countries ?

Why don't you move to a rich country ?

Why would an alternative to Thailand be Cambodia ?

Why not Japan or Singapore or Hong Kong, or are you financially straightjacketed to poor countries only ?

Are you one of the hoardes of old western men I saw when I went to Phnom Phem for the first and certainly the last time ?

Why does your world exist around poor South East Asian countries when you obviously come from a developed western country ?

Oh Nurse! Who rattled your cage mate

If you really need the answers to those questions what are you doing here?

:)