Rain In Sukhumvit Area Saturday Night

barrybike

i left my house on saturday night in seri thai to go to the nana area to buy dvds at around 11 pm ...we nearly didnt bother getting out of the taxi because of the heavy flooding .the water was half way up on car wheels..after going this far i said i better get those dvds my father asked me to get as i was going back home on sunday morning...i rolled up my jeans knee height and carried my shoes and waded through the water..it was un real and the rubbish floating around....finally got the 20 dvds anyway and said we would head home straight away..it took some length before a taxi would stop but eventually got one taxi to brings us home the express way...when we arrived the security guard was laughing at us drowended wet and would you believe it there wasent even a drop of rain in seri thai....does sukhumvit area be like this often when there is a heavy down pore ???? i never came accross this before..you couldnt even see the big road kerbs ,as the rain was over them..is it that the drainage system is bad in that area or what...??????

Was on the upper end of Soi 4 Saturday night and left about 12:30 or so. Street completely flooded, curb to curb. Had no trouble getting a taxi to stop and pull up to curb so I could step in without getting in the water. Soi 2 was also flooded as was Sukhumvit pretty much all the way to Wireless, except for the high spot under the expressway. Don’t spend a lot of time down there, so that was first time I have seen it flooded like that. Have seen that in several other areas before. I have always thought this was caused by a backup of water in the drainage system caused by a combination of really heavy rain and possibly a problem with the pumps that have to be used to get the water out.

TH

. I have always thought this was caused by a backup of water in the drainage system caused by a combination of really heavy rain and possibly a problem with the pumps that have to be used to get the water out.

they where cleaning them out the other week, looked a horrible job, but unfortunalty all the street vendors through there crap down the drains which often blocks them up

I still think the a problem with the pumps may be the issue. Our street gets flooded like that once or twice a year, even though we may get many heavy rains that cause no flooding. It seems to me over the past 5 years or so, that every time the street floods it is during a very heavy rain accompanied by lots of lightning. Just wonder if the lightning causes problem with the pumps, which may located some distance away. Saturday night certainly has some serious lightning. Keep in mind that the storm drain system for most streets are below the level of the canals used to drain the water out of Bangkok and it must be pumped up into the canals.

TH

I experienced similar situations many times, last time yesterday. Girlfriend who works in Silom calls and tells that there is heavy rain there but not once during the day have it rained here in Victory monument.

Edited by Hawkup2000

On my soi near On Nut BTS they have been digging slit trenches for service along most of the length. Fair enough, they are concreting over again now, but they haven't replaced the perforated slabs for drainage, so even moderate rain means a 300m paddling pool all the way to the market.