Home Safety Against 'outsiders'; Advice Needed.......

coconutmonkey

Hi,

I live in BKK.

Many houses are being re-constructed in my moo-baan, and the house opposite mine is next on the list.

The same work-crews have been fixing them all up the street. When they see me, the lone falang, ride past on bicycle (shirt and tie) to go to work every morning, the workmen sneer, laugh and yell stupid things, and try to arouse my interest. I keep my head down and keep going; never acknowledging them.

It is only a matter of time before they know where I live, and that my beautiful young wife (newly pregnant) stays at home alone from 6am to 5pm..... (gotta work!), she does home internet business.

From experience I see these guys as a danger; low wages (Thai and maybe Burmese), low perceptions of falangs as being rich, uneducated at the best of times...... I think it's only a matter of time until they will want to start something terrible if they know where I live...... any suggestions?

Extra notes: I'm not a largely built guy, I don't give off that 'mean' essence, I don't know how I can deal with this situation. Any suggestions?

Edited by coconutmonkey

the workmen sneer, laugh and yell stupid things, and try to arouse my interest.

I keep my head down and keep going; never acknowledging them.

Any suggestions?

I am confused about this part...what are they saying?

Why never acknowledge them?

A Sawadee Donchow might be a start.

Stop & check their work. compliment it if its good.

You know ......be like a regular person. :)

I also frequent a town where I am the only falang.

Over the years I have sat & drank or socialized with so many there I feel bad how they always want me to come over. Or how they always want to give me things I know are precious to them.

In the past when I first arrived I was a little nervous but after I decided what the %#$@ Im just going..... it has been all smiles.

Any suggestions?

You know ......be like a regular person. :D

Over the years I have sat & drank or socialized with so many there I feel bad how they always want me to come over. Or how they always want to give me things I know are precious to them.

In the past when I first arrived I was a little nervous but after I decided what the %#$@ Im just going..... it has been all smiles.

Guess it's a good thing your wife is pregnant already. :) Get a dog, a big dog.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, why can't you wear rose tinted glasses and think of them as angels in paradise showering you with praise - like the rest of us. :)

Any suggestions?

Yeah, why can't you wear rose tinted glasses and think of them as angels in paradise showering you with praise - like the rest of us. :)

Where do I get glasses that work? :D

Any suggestions?

Where do I get glasses that work? :D

Try the same corner shop that sells the "hansum man" t-shirts. :D

First of all, if you don't understand Thai you have no idea what they are telling you. Who knows, maybe they are complementing you about your tie!

I don't like to use this word but you are kind of racist by judging them by the job they are doing.

Trying to be nice and say hello to them will not cost you anything. There is no reason they should be aggressive unless you give them some reasons!

Hi,

I live in BKK.

Many houses are being re-constructed in my moo-baan, and the house opposite mine is next on the list.

The same work-crews have been fixing them all up the street. When they see me, the lone falang, ride past on bicycle (shirt and tie) to go to work every morning, the workmen sneer, laugh and yell stupid things, and try to arouse my interest. I keep my head down and keep going; never acknowledging them.

It is only a matter of time before they know where I live, and that my beautiful young wife (newly pregnant) stays at home alone from 6am to 5pm..... (gotta work!), she does home internet business.

From experience I see these guys as a danger; low wages (Thai and maybe Burmese), low perceptions of falangs as being rich, uneducated at the best of times...... I think it's only a matter of time until they will want to start something terrible if they know where I live...... any suggestions?

Extra notes: I'm not a largely built guy, I don't give off that 'mean' essence, I don't know how I can deal with this situation. Any suggestions?

- stop working.. if your so serious it will happen ( i dont think you are else you would not work)

- buy a Bangkaew dog (i got them and even if you tell people they are nice and wont bite they still dont like them)

- Dont worry too much i doubt anything will happen broad daylight

- Start working out and look mean

I dont see things through purple glasses but the situation that you are describing seems strange to me. There are a lot of workmen in this village too. I even had a few work in my home. They are not so bad.

Any suggestions?

You know ......be like a regular person. :)

This is good advice. make friends with these guys. Take a few bottles of beer Chang over at the end of the day and have a drink with them, you'll probably find they are quite friendly.

First of all, if you don't understand Thai you have no idea what they are telling you. Who knows, maybe they are complementing you about your tie!

I don't like to use this word but you are kind of racist by judging them by the job they are doing.

Trying to be nice and say hello to them will not cost you anything. There is no reason they should be aggressive unless you give them some reasons!

Hey, 'mate'

Let's get this 'racist' thing sorted out once and for all..........

If 'racist', <deleted> would I be dong living here??? The comment about Thai/Burmese was to highlight differences in wages/salary........ read into it as much as you like...... if anything, you have the predisposition to racism, not myself. Duh.

Any suggestions?

This is good advice. make friends with these guys. Take a few bottles of beer Chang over at the end of the day and have a drink with them, you'll probably find they are quite friendly.

Cheers Garry9999,

Sounds like that's where progress is to be made.... :)

99% chance they were not complimenting him on his tie. Racist because he judges them by their job - hardly.

I think the OP is smart is trusting his instincts. If it gets worse, maybe be seen having a word with their superiors - no need to point at them, suffice to say that you being seen with those (locals) with the power, should give you enough space.

Hi,

I live in BKK.

- stop working.. if your so serious it will happen ( i dont think you are else you would not work)

- buy a Bangkaew dog (i got them and even if you tell people they are nice and wont bite they still dont like them)

I dont see things through purple glasses but the situation that you are describing seems strange to me. There are a lot of workmen in this village too. I even had a few work in my home. They are not so bad.

Right.... it hasn't happened yet.... they're not at the house opposite just yet, though soon.

I think maybe you're right....... I don't trust easily and maybe if I took some time to get to know them we could get along well..... maybe some beers on hot afternoon...... :)

Hi,

I live in BKK.

Right.... it hasn't happened yet.... they're not at the house opposite just yet, though soon.

I think maybe you're right....... I don't trust easily and maybe if I took some time to get to know them we could get along well..... maybe some beers on hot afternoon...... :)

Don't buy them beers or anything... what have they done for you?

Just go past nod your head and say sweaty krap in the morning to them...

anything else will be forced issue from you and will not come across as sincere but weakness and then my friend your problems and thinking will increase....

just say hello not silly waving or anything just a quiet nod and hello...then thats it.... all thats needed....

Maybe they`re shouting at you to keep away from them because they don`t like the look of you. They don`t trust you You go to work on a bike. Shirt and tie. Perhaps they think you are a Mish. They`re scared you may pinch their tools.

INNOCENT UNTIL PROVED GUILTY. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Edited by chang35baht

Seems like a case of blaming the usual suspects before a crime has been committed.

Odd since my guess is that most of the Farangs who are robbed blind in Thailand hand their money and valubles over while sporting a stupid grin on their faces.

Don't worry about who's building your neighbour's house - pay attention to the real risk - who it is you invite into your own house.

Don't think, that they are a threat. They are simple people, who have probably never talked longer to a farang, with a pre-fabricated opinion about farangs, like a farang with a tie belongs in a car not on a bike. They probably laughed about that, but not in a negative sense, more in a humorous sense about the eccentric farang.

If you see them, short nod, smile, be friendly, say wanni ron ron. No need to buy something for them.

To make you feel better, buy a siren, fix it outside the house and install the switch in a comfortable, easy to reach place inside.

Edited by Birdman

Any suggestions?

Jeez it must be tough walking around in your skin.....

Sometimes this is what is required otherwise you end up not being able to go past them without them harrassing you be it friendly or not.

There is nothing worse in my book than being friendly and then finding the tuk tuk drivers, construction workers etc etc thinking you are their new best friend.

I know they might just be nice people, but once you open the door it is hard to get it shut again.

My example:

Every morning I walk past three sets of Ojek and Taxi stands on my way to work, again in the evenings.

I made the mistake of saying hello in the beginning and now everyday,

Twice a day I get asked what country I come from,

Do I want a taxi,

Do I want an Ojek,

Where am I going,

Where have I just come from,

Hello Mister,

Hello Mister,

Hello Mister,

By all three sets of Ojek/Taxi stands manned by the exact same people everyday for a year now.

It can drive a bloke insane.

Edited by tuky

Any suggestions?

Yeah, life is not easy, but at least I dont have to worry about what some random labourers think about me. :D

Okay.... OP here again.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

There's some good thoughts in there and clearly some plain assumptions on my case of 'blaming the suspects'....... just wanna be careful and I hope that you guys can understand that..... when it comes to family, it's easy to feel that way.

I'll just nod, say wad-dee, and keep on my way......

I see them drinking a fair bit and I've felt like they've tried to intimidate me..... even though I've nodded and smiled before......(honestly not alot though!). Once I was riding back and four of them (after clearly drinking alot) made a like a human chain across the road and tried to stop me on my bike..... I gently slipped past them without being too obvious I didn't want to stay.... I smiled a small smile and a polite half-nod.......

They began shouting (and one started stumbling after me a little...) "What is it?" It is a book..... What is it? It is a ant".... what is it? It is a dog.." but shouting right down the street, louder than Thai's generally like to be (in my experience)....

Typically, When I ride past their eyes are glued on me... totally fixated. When I approach, they tap each other on the shoulder, point (without being noticeable), watch as I ride past while they smirk and slip 'whisping comments' in a mix of Thai and very poor English, their other friends chuckle and look on...... the comments come when when I just get past them and they keep it going to some shouts when I am past a little more......

Could happen in any country..... but how to deal about it as soon they will know where I live. They seem to be very interested in me..... or my bike?!

I'm about 29, so maybe the age is what interests them as well? Anyhow, they don't feel like warm greetings.

Edited by coconutmonkey

Not applicable in all cases, but I have found that when Thai manual workers are mouthing off to the farang it is usually because they they don't think you can understand what they are saying. If you can understand and their comments are clearly out of line, give them a short snide remark back in Thai language. You will find that the snide remarks stop and you get treated with a bit more respect.

Buying a few beers to drink with them is in my opinion absolutely ridiculous. It seems to be the typical attitude of many farangs in Thailand. Would you do that back in your home country? No, you would tell them to f'off. Trying to mix with the locals is one thing, but this is not the way to go about it.

Not applicable in all cases, but I have found that when Thai manual workers are mouthing off to the farang it is usually because they they don't think you can understand what they are saying. If you can understand and their comments are clearly out of line, give them a short snide remark back in Thai language. You will find that the snide remarks stop and you get treated with a bit more respect.

Buying a few beers to drink with them is in my opinion absolutely ridiculous. It seems to be the typical attitude of many farangs in Thailand. Would you do that back in your home country? No, you would tell them to f'off. Trying to mix with the locals is one thing, but this is not the way to go about it.

I would not buy them beer or ignore them. Anyway i never had any problems with construction guys. Some look at me, so what i don't care. If they are friendly im friendly and chat with them. If they are not no need to chat with them then.

Odd since my guess is that most of the Farangs who are robbed blind in Thailand hand their money and valubles over while sporting a stupid grin on their faces.

Very true and their grin usually lasts an average of 4 years, IME.

They must think that you are un unfriendly git. Smile and stop giving the "white" a bad name. Cycling to work is not Thai thing. What would a bunch of construction workers in the UK think if a Chinaman went past on a unicycle and ignored them? - there is no difference.

Very true and their grin usually lasts an average of 4 years, IME.

They must think that you are un unfriendly git. Smile and stop giving the "white" a bad name. Cycling to work is not Thai thing. What would a bunch of construction workers in the UK think if a Chinaman went past on a unicycle and ignored them? - there is no difference.

Understood...

I have nodded and smiled, but not shown any initiative to strike up a conversation or sawat-dee. I nod at most people, habit I think. Maybe I could have been more accurate in my first post. Thanks.

Okay.... OP here again.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

There's some good thoughts in there and clearly some plain assumptions on my case of 'blaming the suspects'....... just wanna be careful and I hope that you guys can understand that..... when it comes to family, it's easy to feel that way.

I'll just nod, say wad-dee, and keep on my way......

I see them drinking a fair bit and I've felt like they've tried to intimidate me..... even though I've nodded and smiled before......(honestly not alot though!). Once I was riding back and four of them (after clearly drinking alot) made a like a human chain across the road and tried to stop me on my bike..... I gently slipped past them without being too obvious I didn't want to stay.... I smiled a small smile and a polite half-nod.......

They began shouting (and one started stumbling after me a little...) "What is it?" It is a book..... What is it? It is a ant".... what is it? It is a dog.." but shouting right down the street, louder than Thai's generally like to be (in my experience)....

Typically, When I ride past their eyes are glued on me... totally fixated. When I approach, they tap each other on the shoulder, point (without being noticeable), watch as I ride past while they smirk and slip 'whisping comments' in a mix of Thai and very poor English, their other friends chuckle and look on...... the comments come when when I just get past them and they keep it going to some shouts when I am past a little more......

Could happen in any country..... but how to deal about it as soon they will know where I live. They seem to be very interested in me..... or my bike?!

I'm about 29, so maybe the age is what interests them as well? Anyhow, they don't feel like warm greetings.

This is a problem as they are taking the p1ss but i still think in a friendly way but maybe to get a little rise from you..

still just nod, smile and laugh at their high drunken jinx.

Don't give them an inch though - DO NOT buy them any beer or anything..

Just be on your way with a smile.

(my first condo me and my mates there were 6 of us from the same village in England all living in the same condo block, were always over friendly with security - ie very naive.. The security used to over step their mark and check our bags of shopping asking for beer etc.)

we bought this upon ourselves and then it was difficult to stop the behaviour we had inadverntly started by giving them the odd beer and cigs we had bought)

they must have though a golden goose was living there....

Repeat - Do not buy them anything and just laugh along with them at their silly japes.... do not insult them or ignore them.. just play along with it.

You need to laugh a bit more at/with them in my opinion...

Point 1: Perhaps they perceive you as arrogant?

As already mentioned several times, being a little friendly with just a sawasdee khrap is not difficult.

Can you speak some Thai? If you're planning to live here long-term then this might be the catalyst which helps you to realize that speaking Thai makes daily living a whole lot easier, and being able to get into a conversation opens up insights to local culture / local living / local humor which are worth knowing and enjoying.

Point 2: I've had many teams of Thai workers in my house over many years, never had even the smallest of problems or felt threatened in any way. I might add that I've always ensured anything of value is out of sight (which I would do in any country) and that I speak to the workers with respect, ask their opinion about different ways to approach the work, help them to lift somethng heavy, etc.

Point 3: It's normal in Thailand (and many countries) to have have good security grills on all windows and doors, etc? Do you have them? If not, why not?

Yeah, life is not easy, but at least I dont have to worry about what some random labourers think about me. wink.gif

I don't give a s#@t what they think about me; but I do care what opportunity they MAY take with my home/family. I'm assuming that more violent crimes/thefts are committed by those in lower income groups with less education (GENERALLY speaking); is this wrong to assume in an effort to be proactive against potential risks........? If you see a cow on the road, don't you slow down, ignore it, or 'buy it a beer?' :)

Point 1: Perhaps they perceive you as arrogant?

As already mentioned several times, being a little friendly with just a sawasdee khrap is not difficult.

Can you speak some Thai? If you're planning to live here long-term then this might be the catalyst which helps you to realize that speaking Thai makes daily living a whole lot easier, and being able to get into a conversation opens up insights to local culture / local living / local humor which are worth knowing and enjoying.

Point 2: I've had many teams of Thai workers in my house over many years, never had even the smallest of problems or felt threatened in any way. I might add that I've always ensured anything of value is out of sight (which I would do in any country) and that I speak to the workers with respect, ask their opiniion about different ways to approach the work, help them to lift somethng heavy, etc.

Point 3: It's normal in Thailand (and many countries) to have have good security grills on all windows and doors, etc? Do you have them? If not, why not?

Yeah, life is not easy, but at least I dont have to worry about what some random labourers think about me. :D

That is odd....your comment about taking off the rose colored glasses suggests that you not only worry but are fearful that they are thinking something bad