Immigrating To The Gulf With An Unmarried Thai Partner

I am planning to take a job in UAE in the fall. I have just heard from my potential employer that it is illegal to bring my unmarried Thai partner with me, and that if I insist on doing so the company cannot employ me. Getting married is not an option, but neither is leaving my girlfriend here in Thailand.

Is this rule strictly enforced in the Middle East, or should I simply look for a new employer?

Friends of mine certainly needed to get married before they could move there, I understand a lot of rules are strictly enforced, apparantly you cannot even stay in a hotel with your girlfriend - though that's hearsay and I don't if true.

I'm not convinced anything in the middle east is modern, progressive or opened minded to say the least. Most of the laws are based on the Koran thus you can run in to some serious issues. I don't know this from personal experience but I have friends stationed/working through the middle east and they say it is quite unpleasant and they are restricted to their work places to keep them out of trouble.

The UAE is extremely conservative on certain issues, appearances to the contrary.

I certainly had to provide a marriage certificate when bringing over my Vietnamese wife at the time I worked there.

It doesn't sound promising. I understand that my girlfriend would have to obtain a visa in some way wholly unrelated to me; that is, she obviously couldn't come as my dependent. However, once she was in the country I thought living together would not be a problem as long as a certain level of discretion was practiced.

When you say the UAE - which state do you mean? Dubai is very different to Sharjah for example.

I did in fact live with a girlfriend in Dubai for just over year...we rented an apartment and both worked and never had any trouble, but this a largely down to us being quiet and not broadcasting our status. I did once even hear a head police officer saying they were not concerned with un-married couples whom live together as any other couple, they were more concerned about people kissing, groping in public or having adulterous affairs. We also met lots of other un-wedded but commitied couples, some even owning property together...Still having said all of that the law is still the law and if you were to piss off an emirate local they will find anyway they can to put you in the clink for a few years, so there is still a risk so it would be wrong to give you a green light as its way more complicated sometimes based on 'wasta' or who you know and what you own...for example a white uni educated male with a golfing tan well mannered ways and a big pay check with his quant english girlfriend of five years will be treated very differently to a Pakistani male and his Lebanese lover.

Now the other big difference may also be that we both had individual jobs each supplying a residency visa independently of each other.You on the other hand I imagine will need have your company sponsor you for you visa and then in turn you can sponsor your wife, but you won't be able to sponsor your girlfriend.

Shajah or Abu Dhabi on the other hand are totally different.

Edited by tlusername

Having lived in Dubai for the past 3 years I can confirm that not only is it technically illegal to live with somebody out of wedlock, but you will also have no way of getting her a long term visa. Your only option is to bring her over on 1 month holiday visas which are relatively easy to obtain if you know the system. If she stays in your apartment this is illegal, but I and many others have had lady visitors to stay in our apartments without any problems. I explored many options to get my girlfriend a long term visa including maids visas etc and none of them were possible for a single guy

Thanks for that info, it's truly helpful - though not exactly encouraging. The job is in Abu Dhabi. Do you know anything about it?
Yes be very, very careful Most of the advice that has been posted is correct. My late wife and i lived in the Emirates and Kuwait for several years. Abu Dhabi is more strict on these matters than Dubai but please do not interpret that statement to mean that Dubai might be worth a go.

Even if you did find a way to get a visa you would still be in jeopardy. For example if you are stopped in your car for a police check or perhaps after a minor accident and there is a single girl in your car you could both finish up in prison. This is purely an example and trouble could come from many sources - a neighbour who wants to make trouble, an over zealous guard in your residence building and so on.

When i was there some of the single guys rented a flat in Delhi for their girlfriends and flew over to India once a month. Malta is another alternative which is not too far away and these problems do not exist in those countries.

Emirates have direct flights to Delhi and Malta.

I do belive it is Strictly Enforced.

Even in UAE? I had thought it was a fairly modern, progressive country.

This is the reason why they invite "journalists" to luxury hotels and pay them to publish good bullshxt about they "modern" "progressive" countries (all gulf countries)...

Then some people invest millions there until they regret.

[ For example if you are stopped in your car for a police check or perhaps after a minor accident and there is a single girl in your car you could both finish up in prison.

Not In Abu Dhabi or Dubai you won't.

Many guys live with girlfriends in the UAE, you won't have any problems about that if you are well behaved. You will have a problem with the visa however, as previously stated, she will need to get 1 month visit visas or get a job.

Edited by madjbs

This topic has been covered in this forum before in depth on a very similar thread.

If getting a marriage cert really is out of the question then I would either seek employment elsewhere, try to find employment for her (but she will get treated badly for the most part because she is asian) or hope for the best and visit her as often as possible. There are some good employers here but not that many and they are control freaks. It is barely a step above slavery and indentured servitude. Of course you could check out www.uaetoture.com for a close up of part of the darkside of being here. I would not come here if I was working directly for a local company or the local government. I am lucky in that I work for a US/UK company on a US contract here.

Progressive? Are you nuts? However; as a current resident of the UAE , in Abu Dhabi, I can say it is very possible if not easy to getaway with living together provided you maintain a very low profile and choose your accomodations wisely. The Emirate of Dubai trys to put on a facade of liberalness (sp) but it is really a sham, Dubai is extremely two faced and has really been shaking the tree on their enforcement of their laws. Abu Dhabi is very much more conservative than Dubai but is also more traditional in that they will pay less attention to you (respect your privacy) provided you do nothing to raise their eyebrows. Sharjah and the other Emirates are a bit more strict under Islam, rules wise. No company will sponsor your girlfriend here unless she is working for them, the immigration law only allows sponsorship based off of marriage and occasionally support issues but very seldomly. And the new (currently) law will not allow you to sponsor anyone not a direct blood relation on a visit visa which sucks. When I bring my son to visit I use his US Passport and not his Thai Passport otherwise I could not bring him in. This will be her problem also, without a proper sponsor for a visit visa she will most likely be turned away. The philipino community here is very close knit and can pull strings for each other as they seem to be the only ones capable of working around the system somewhat legally. You could get her a visa sponsored by a local Emirati ($$$$) but they have been cracking down on this practice as it really is illegal and I would not trust them even if they are connected or in a good position.

Remember there are 7 different Emirates, each with it's own independent set of rules, laws and decrees which they enforce at their whim. Then you also have the UAE National Rules, Laws and Decrees which may or may not be enforced depending on the Emirate. And do not expect immigration officials here to even know what the law is, because they don't.

I am planning to take a job in UAE in the fall. I have just heard from my potential employer that it is illegal to bring my unmarried Thai partner with me, and that if I insist on doing so the company cannot employ me. Getting married is not an option, but neither is leaving my girlfriend here in Thailand.

Is this rule strictly enforced in the Middle East, or should I simply look for a new employer?

Same rule for Kuwait and pretty much all Muslim countries. "Girlfriend" is not an accepted concept there. Why can't you marry her?

...and girls from Asia really only get a work visa for two reasons in U.A.E.: for cleaning services and, the more likely one, for extracariucular activities...wink wink nudge nudge.

...and girls from Asia really only get a work visa for two reasons in U.A.E.: for cleaning services and, the more likely one, for extracariucular activities...wink wink nudge nudge.

Actually the "wink wink nudge nudge" girls here are mainly from China, Russia, Ukraine, and certain African and Middle Eastern countries of muslim dominance (oddly). The majority of Thai ladies here work for Etihad or restuarant staff; South Asians and many of the non-college degreed Filipino ladies are in the domestic services industry (house maids/nannies). The majority of Southeast Asian ladies are educated and work in the professional hospitality, medical and retail and commercial business arenas. Now alot of them get treated like they are in the WWNN....

Some good info in this thread having lived in both Abu Dhabi and Dubai for over 10 years it has to be said Dubai is more liberal. I lived with many single girls there in both cities in the past with no issues. I also lived with my Thai wife in Dubai before we got married you just have the hassle of getting a visa which is never easy but can be done and the visa will only be short term. You should be earning good money so there are ways round everything :)

Good luck anyway.

Obviously you have not been in the Middle East.

Everything here is true.

No hotel stays, no co-habitation, visas for single women are difficult to get.

If you were driving with her in a car, you could be stopped, and she harassed or deported. No hand-holding, kissing, etc.

Violate any of this and you will go to jail, lose your job and be deported.

Now, either get married or leave her behind.

There's ONE alternative for the IMMENSELY STUPID: You can hire a live-in maid in most Middle Eastern countries, under some circumstances. If you approach an employment agency in the UAE, they may be able to get her hired "by name". Be prepared to pay way too much (monthly salary). Get caught doing “it” and you are back to jail. You do not walk beside your maid at the mall. Or eat with her in a restaurant. They wear drab work clothes.

Caveat: I'm not sure but having a live-in female maid may only be appropriate for a married couple, and not a single man.

So, what's the matter with this broad that you don't want to marry her?

Obviously you have not been in the Middle East.

Everything here is true.

No hotel stays, no co-habitation, visas for single women are difficult to get.

If you were driving with her in a car, you could be stopped, and she harassed or deported. No hand-holding, kissing, etc.

Violate any of this and you will go to jail, lose your job and be deported.

Now, either get married or leave her behind.

There's ONE alternative for the IMMENSELY STUPID: You can hire a live-in maid in most Middle Eastern countries, under some circumstances. If you approach an employment agency in the UAE, they may be able to get her hired "by name". Be prepared to pay way too much (monthly salary). Get caught doing "it" and you are back to jail. You do not walk beside your maid at the mall. Or eat with her in a restaurant. They wear drab work clothes.

Caveat: I'm not sure but having a live-in female maid may only be appropriate for a married couple, and not a single man.

So, what's the matter with this broad that you don't want to marry her?

Most of this is utter BS. Especially as stated above. One guy was correct in one post and 100% wrong in his other. The next thing someone will be posting all women must wear an Abeyah (BS as well) and cannot drive. Oh yeah her Thai driving licence is not transferrable but most western are - even South Africans & Polish - go figure!!

You can get a 1 month tourist visa from most places including Emirates Air. She might not even like it.

You can apply for longer visas through travel agents and hotels. Some will allow extensions. Some wont. Emirates Air usually doesn't. Thai Air in Dubia is sponsored by a local as is all business.

You can get extensions and do border runs to Oman or take the Kish flight - much better option.

If your company is any good they can sponsor her. As it sounds like your company is not willing to assist based on your initial statement (it may be just ignorance or misinformation which abounds) that seems to not be an option.

You must be of the same family to cohabitate by law.

Abu Dhabi is slightly stricter than Dubai. Never ever been stopped in any Emirate or Oman.

I personally know 7 non married couples living together. They have never had problems.

You could sponsor her as a domestic after you have your residence. A few rules need bending.

There are 2 Thai shops in Karama and one in Sharjah who can advise you.

The Kempinski hotel in Al Barsha has Thai cooking staff. Thaksin eats there frequently you can say hello.

The Dusit Thani hotel on Sheik Zayed has Thai staff and run Songkran plus other Thai events.

Do your leg work. Don't ask xxx.

Kuwait is much harder. Qatar can be dam_n near impossible. But forget people quoting them as you are going to Abu Dhabi!!

The Filipinas cannot get any special deals or privileges but some of them have a great network.

One thing is true like here (Thailand). It all depends on who you get, how you speak to them and whether they got up from the right side of the bed.

For the record I ran the visa section of an international company in the Gulf until 2 weeks ago. Offices in most Emirates, Qatar, Saudi & Kuwait.

^ Best post yet, all correct info, unlike some of the other complete rubbish posted on this thread.

I also don't understand why the company wont sponsor her for visit visas. Many will.

Thanks for all the replies - there is some conflicting information here but it actually sounds doable. The company I'll be working is based in Australia and might simply be ignorant about the rules. Hopefully once I'm on the ground in Abu Dhabi I'll find a way to work things out. One month visitor visas would be fine - but is it possible to get them back to back?

Edited by jeebusjones

It is a law, and a criminal offense to cohabit with woman out side the wedlock! but seldom enforced, however it is used in an opportunistic way, if you criticize the government , police etc meddled in politics , then it is used to deport you, but remember the place is teeming with hookers especially from former Soviet Union's Muslim republics and any one that can afford it, is shacked up with one in particular large number Saudi Citizen, tend to just come over and stay for a month with one of those ladies, or import the odd Moroccan ones that are most sought after for some reason!

don't change job in these times of economic uncertainty, just head there and once you get a flat or a house, bring in your girl, try to register as a house keeper or a distant relative etc! I know few guys did it with Filipinas! and they are still there!

once again don't change job! Just go and try it, if it didn't work then to plan 2.

Best of luck

Edited by kujirasan

Actually the "wink wink nudge nudge" girls here are mainly from China, Russia, Ukraine, and certain African and Middle Eastern countries of muslim dominance (oddly). The majority of Thai ladies here work for Etihad or restuarant staff; South Asians and many of the non-college degreed Filipino ladies are in the domestic services industry (house maids/nannies). The majority of Southeast Asian ladies are educated and work in the professional hospitality, medical and retail and commercial business arenas. Now alot of them get treated like they are in the WWNN....

You should visit some of the hotel bars dominated by KBR personnel then.

Thanks for all the replies - there is some conflicting information here but it actually sounds doable. The company I'll be working is based in Australia and might simply be ignorant about the rules. Hopefully once I'm on the ground in Abu Dhabi I'll find a way to work things out. One month visitor visas would be fine - but is it possible to get them back to back?

You have to get in cozy with the HR department.