Lethargy Or Happiness

It's months since the whingeing about Bangkok Airways stopped. Nothing at all about

bad service, bad food, expensive fares.

Is this just an outbreak of lethargy? Or, have the minority of dis-affected punters just given up?

I sort of miss all the debate as to why it shouldn't be a charity airline. :)

well i was going to make a rant the other day lol

as they are now doing 1000 THB one way to Phuket but not to samui ! ........

also they are still VERY overpriced, 3200 THB i was forced to pay last time, but now i just get the VIP Bus, which infact have the same knid of seats as blue ribbon on BKK Air

It's months since the whingeing about Bangkok Airways stopped.

Yeah, about the same time them made return tickets to BKK about 3000 baht cheaper. Probably just a coincidence.

now that the subject is back i can share a story about an Aussi I met on my last trip to bkk. He had never traveled outside of OZ land before and was on samui with a few mates, he needed to return to work b4 his friends so he was booked out a few days earlier, well as things turned out when he got to the departure gate he had lost his ticket and was low on money. so he could not make the flight nor did he have the option of returning to his room. He told me that the bkk staff gave him 1,000 baht and put him in thier hotel in ban rak where he stayed until he got new funds and his ticket replaced. When he told me this story I had to say this is not something that i would ever expect to happen to me from any airline so cheers to bkk air for customer service and care, having said this I still believe that 3,200 round trip to bkk is the price samui residents should be paying.

If you try to book online forget it.All flights are full,must be a mini high season :) .Ijust tried to get a flight to Bangkok for this saturday but no luck on the website(i need an afternoon flight).One quick phone call to 1771 and flight available in the afternoon for the bargain fare of 4320 baht one way,this is not a business class ticket by the way.I also tried thai air but they also have no flights available.

I bought a BKK-USM promotion ticket for 2.500 about 10 days ago

I'm pretty sure, you had to book before May 10 to get the promo fares.

If you try to book online forget it.All flights are full,must be a mini high season .Ijust tried to get a flight to Bangkok for this saturday but no luck on the website(i need an afternoon flight).One quick phone call to 1771 and flight available in the afternoon for the bargain fare of 4320 baht one way,this is not a business class ticket by the way.I also tried thai air but they also have no flights available.

stupidly overpriced ! , where is Thailands version of Watch Dog with Ann Robinson :)

If you try to book online forget it.All flights are full,must be a mini high season .Ijust tried to get a flight to Bangkok for this saturday but no luck on the website(i need an afternoon flight).One quick phone call to 1771 and flight available in the afternoon for the bargain fare of 4320 baht one way,this is not a business class ticket by the way.I also tried thai air but they also have no flights available.

stupidly overpriced ! , where is Thailands version of Watch Dog with Ann Robinson :)

Booked two returns for Mr/Mrs Gator online for 10K Baht for the both of us. That was for this coming weekend

and booked last week. You just have to plan ahead. :D

BKK-Samui with Airbus A319, duration 65min. returnticket incl. taxes 6540 THB

Bkk-Phuket with Airbus A320, duration 85min. returnticket incl. taxes 3340 THB

in comparison:

1min. of flight costs 19.65 THB (BKK-Phuket)

1min. of flight BKK-Samui costs 50.30 THB :)

if they will charge the same rate to Samui as of Phuket, the returnflight (USM) will costs only 2555 THB.

Funny calculation.....i know :D

Chayaphum

And your inflight meal now comes in a plastic bag.

That's their first step towards becoming a green airline, meal bag can be used as sick bag, save paper, save the environment. :)

she has been shot lol

in comparison:

if they will charge the same rate to Samui as of Phuket, the returnflight (USM) will costs only 2555 THB.

Chayaphum

emmm i wonder the cost in air miles. some of those planes are stll prapellor and they take about 1.30 mins for the same price.

i normally drive to phuket. cause i have the luxury of my own car so i use it.

way i can drive around when i get there without having to rent.

it is only 2hrs fron donsak to patong if your are driving at super fast speed or normally about 3 and half hours if you are saine and don't want to clock up speeding fines

that

Gator... you could not let it be ..... :)

macaroni man thanks for sharing a story that sheds a positive light that is sometimes so absent in this forum..

What is your love affair with Bangkok Airways???

They have the island by the short and curlies. Plain and simple. This is never smart in any industry.

Today they are operating seven flights with only one full. Yet the still charge ridiculous landing charges essentially denying low cost airlines from operating routes to Samui within their business model. Samui needs tourists of all levels. Not just the perceived high end tourists. I see there are a lot of cheaper flights currently offered on PG, albiet 1000 B or so more expensive than any other route in the country (even at the lowest fare).

They are, like many other misguided individuals under the impression that Samui has somthing extrordinary to offer. I does not! Other than being expensive, dirty and isolated. You can not charge a premium rate for these atributes.

In this current economic climate people are looking for better deals. The combination of expensive airfares with low quality destination does not bode well for the island and it's inhabitants.

And your inflight meal now comes in a plastic bag.

That's their first step towards becoming a green airline, meal bag can be used as sick bag, save paper, save the environment. :D

Has the food gone so bad. :)

in comparison:

Chayaphum

nice calculation.

there a few more things to add on..

phuket is a government airport and the government does not care if the airport is making a profit. on the contrary those who invested a sh..t load of money in Samui airport are private share holders who are looking to get the investment back and make a profit.

Samui does not have a road link to the main land so any jet fuel must be brought in by trucks and the cost is higher.

the whole operation of samui airport is private.. it is not govement funded or supported so someone has to pay the bills???

macaroni man thanks for sharing a story that sheds a positive light that is sometimes so absent in this forum..

They have the island by the short and curlies. Plain and simple. This is never smart in any industry.

Today they are operating seven flights with only one full. Yet the still charge ridiculous landing charges essentially denying low cost airlines from operating routes to Samui within their business model. Samui needs tourists of all levels. Not just the perceived high end tourists. I see there are a lot of cheaper flights currently offered on PG, albiet 1000 B or so more expensive than any other route in the country (even at the lowest fare).

They are, like many other misguided individuals under the impression that Samui has somthing extrordinary to offer. I does not! Other than being expensive, dirty and isolated. You can not charge a premium rate for these atributes.

In this current economic climate people are looking for better deals. The combination of expensive airfares with low quality destination does not bode well for the island and it's inhabitants.

i dont have a love affair with BKK air.. i do have a respect for someone else private business.

BKK air has made Samui that is plain and simple..(we can debate if it was good or bad but that not he point here )

they took a very big risk in developing a private airport they invested money and they are now cashing on it.. despite of very bad economic conditions.

they are charging landing fees that enable them to sustain the airport and make a profit.. i know that some people tend to forget that as a private business the aim is to make a profit :D

nce in evry few months this debate comes up and then all the anti bangkok airways flames go up..

i really don't understand why?? why is a private business man investing his money and taking all the risks not allowed to run his business the way he thinks is right??

why is it that people instead of complimenting his success and learning from his venture find it necessary to complain about it??

I've had a few moans about their bumping you on to other flights, failing to repay a refund for months...

However I do have a good story. On my last flight April 18th i got the 17.25 to arrive bkk 18.20 for a flight back to the uk 20.35. Yes i know no room for problems but as i check the bags in for the flight to uk at samui i don't mind. This time didn't quite go to plan, the flight was diverted to don m as suv had closed due to heavy rain. There were 17 of us on that plane on the same flight as me 'DOOMED to miss the flight' As I sat there i just figured i'd be in bangkok the night and on another one Sunday i really couldn't be bothered wondering if we could make the flight. So we sat at Don M for 1hour+ whilst the flight crew took details of the short time connections and radioed ahead to their team at the airport. We flew back and landed at 8 got off the plane by 8.15ish had a bus waiting for us to take us to terminal D, had staff all the way from D to terminal E through security and to the boarding gate. I had one guy run all the way with me.

As it happened the plane was delayed for 15 mins anyway as the backlog of departures due to the runway closure got away.

So a big thanks to Bangkok Airways for that one. I'm flyting with air france in aug on a 1h 20 connection time GULP! guarantee there will be no customer service there if anything goes wrong.

If you try to book online forget it.All flights are full,must be a mini high season :) .Ijust tried to get a flight to Bangkok for this saturday but no luck on the website(i need an afternoon flight).One quick phone call to 1771 and flight available in the afternoon for the bargain fare of 4320 baht one way,this is not a business class ticket by the way.I also tried thai air but they also have no flights available.

You can fly with Air Asia for 1400 baht on Saturday if the schedule fits.

I full agree with Highdiver when he says:

BKK air has made Samui that is plain and simple..(we can debate if it was good or bad but that not he point here )

they took a very big risk in developing a private airport they invested money and they are now cashing on it.. despite of very bad economic conditions.

they are charging landing fees that enable them to sustain the airport and make a profit.. i know that some people tend to forget that as a private business the aim is to make a profit

And anyway, in many years flying with PG, never a problem, good service, nice buffet, nice flight assistents :) .

i dont have a love affair with BKK air.. i do have a respect for someone else private business.

they are charging landing fees that enable them to sustain the airport and make a profit.. i know that some people tend to forget that as a private business the aim is to make a profit :D

nce in evry few months this debate comes up and then all the anti bangkok airways flames go up..

i really don't understand why?? why is a private business man investing his money and taking all the risks not allowed to run his business the way he thinks is right??

why is it that people instead of complimenting his success and learning from his venture find it necessary to complain about it??

Why not put to a vote ?

Nirvana

Why not put to a vote ?

Nirvana

Why? A vote on this forum means not a jot.

Highdiver is right, this is a private business, a private airline , a private airport. If you think you can do better try it on.

Opportunity knocks! :D

Say for instance Seatran Ferry was the only ferry company to the island and they decided to charge 1000 baht per person? Would You agree with that pricing system? Can the Island really afford to allow one business man to fundamentally hold the island to ransom and charge what ever he sees fit to fly to the island. Believe me if there was only one bar on the island a beer would not be 80 or 90 baht a bottle. they are operating a monopoly with the aid of very powerful people in Bangkok who neither care or have any interest in Samui and it's economic well being. The island has been kidnapped - plain and simple. Profit is fine but highway robbery is not.

Why not put to a vote ?

Nirvana

Why? A vote on this forum means not a jot.

Highdiver is right, this is a private business, a private airline , a private airport. If you think you can do better try it on.

Opportunity knocks! :)

Oh sure, thats a smart reply. As a westerner I should try to open an airport in Thailand or Samui should I ?

Given the same conditions and slippery ways of getting things done I think it would not have been so hard.TiT

You know maybe sometimes national interests should be considered and maybe a broader picture , but then again "oops" I forgot its your private airport argument again raising its head..

I merely suggested a vote as I have seen this discussed many a time and would be interested in outcome, but you shot that down didnt you.

Nirvana

Say for instance Seatran Ferry was the only ferry company to the island and they decided to charge 1000 baht per person? Would You agree with that pricing system? Can the Island really afford to allow one business man to fundamentally hold the island to ransom and charge what ever he sees fit to fly to the island. Believe me if there was only one bar on the island a beer would not be 80 or 90 baht a bottle. they are operating a monopoly with the aid of very powerful people in Bangkok who neither care or have any interest in Samui and it's economic well being. The island has been kidnapped - plain and simple. Profit is fine but highway robbery is not.

but this is really not the case now is it?

i agree with you that competition is good . but no one is blocking it.. no body is holding anyone ransom. you can apply for a permit to build your own airport.

if the government of Thailand wants to build a second airport, which a few years ago they did then they need to allocate the budget for it, which at this moment they don't have.

if Samui city feels that they need a second airport they can allocate a budget for it maybe by charging all the resort and hotels and tourist services providers a very large tax that will provide for construction and the maintenance and operations of an international airport (well some one has to pay for it )..and then they will run it as a government non profit organization.. and landing fees and refueling will be much cheaper then bkk air... do you think that's viable??

now for some facts.

on the contrary to popular belief the aiport is not owned by Bangkok airways it is owned by a separate company named SCI assets .. it is also traded o the set and is a public company..the connection is that the same owner Dr prasert control both companies.

since they are doing well you should conside investing in this company because in the foreseeable future they will remain the only airport in Samui ..

the samui airport was funded using the Samui Airport fund which is an investment fund where the people who invested money expect to make a profit and they expect to make a really good profit :)

the landing fees are controlled and capped buy the department of civil aviation...

more info here : http://www.samuiairportpropertyfund.com/en/index.asp

now if any of the members who feel that they can do better then the ones who are controlling the airport at this moment then buy all the stocks of the company and then you can control the airport and its services....

then you can decide o your own to loose profits or even give airlines free landing... :D