Pet Shop Squirrels - Back To The Wild?

Ibizabreeze

Hi there,

As i hate to see ANY animal but also all these squirrels stuck in confinement prisons, ie. cages all over the country , and on every market,i was wondering where i can find a little more information on them, like what do they eat? and mainly ,when they are old enough could they live out in the jungle alone? what threatens them and what would they eat to survive?

I saw one lonely one the other day miles up in the jungle, at a small wooden cabin,stuck in a cage, no food, no water..no one seemed to be about at the time but obviously someone owns him and feeds him...on the odd occasion. The temptation to set him free was overwelming but as it is not mine to doso...and it might not survive? ..nonetheless i behaved myself,incase of a farmer chaseing me with a gun : )

If anyone has any knowledge on these noble little creatures i would be grateful as I would really like to be able to buy and release some if it would be the right thing to do.

many thanks

I agree with you, the way animals are treated is shameful. Some neighbors bought a rabbit from the fair that comes to town sometimes. It was all cute and cuddly and fluffy and the center of attention for some time but then the interest wore off and it was left to starve to death in its filthy cage. :)

As for buying animals to release them, this is not a good idea as you are creating a market and they would probably only increase their stock. :D

There is no answer you just have to get used to it. :D

:D

I also don't think it would be a good idea to do that because they were not born into the wild, they were born in these cages and that's all they've known since they were born. I'd worry that they wouldn't be able to defend and feed themselves in the wild. :)

Agree with Daffy there: do not buy and release, tempting as it may be, it only encourages the trade.

There are quite a few species of Squirrels in Thailand, difficult giving you information without knowing what species it was.