2 Strokes On Long Trips

Anyone ever done a long trip on a 150cc 2 stroke?

the farthest ive been was 60 kilometers on a 2 stroke, and when i got off i was still vibrating...but this isn't the question, my question is, how do they handle long hauls at a constant throttle for long runs? they get hot and over heat?

thinking of picking up a kawa ZX150, but want to make the Bangkok - Chiang Rai route soon.

I used to ride a honda 150 two stroke enduro from San Diego, Ca. to Yuma Az. then south into Mexico on trips that would cover about 350 miles over about 3 days. Combination of Interstate highways through mountains and desert, twisting mountain roads, dirt roads and rocky trails returning via Tijauna and back to San Diego with no major problems. It does wear down the knobby tires quicker but only two incidents was a crankcase busted by a rock and a broken chain.

Anyone ever done a long trip on a 150cc 2 stroke?

the farthest ive been was 60 kilometers on a 2 stroke, and when i got off i was still vibrating...but this isn't the question, my question is, how do they handle long hauls at a constant throttle for long runs? they get hot and over heat?

thinking of picking up a kawa ZX150, but want to make the Bangkok - Chiang Rai route soon.

A friend of mine has a 8 year old Yamaha he has rode it over 100,000k no major problems :)

I don't think I could ever own a two-stroke bike again, but I did spend a few years on a two cylinder Suzuki Hustler. When I bought it, it had a hole in one piston so I rebuilt the whole engine. Rode it two years until the crank bottom-end needle bearings failed and powdered both pistons. If you get one, make sure your oil injection pump works well, use the right plugs, and keep your oil injection tank filled with high quality injection oil. They do make more power for the weight, but it is not worth it in the long run.

I am editing this post because it is my sphenic post, as is my member number! So.... like... do you know what that is?

Edited by T_Dog

I rode the Yamaha RD 350 YPVS from Germany through Switzerland and france to spain and back. The traffic jams were worst, as the water cooled engine was getting too hot. And on the Mont Blanc pass, the engine won't be useable for braking, unlike 4-strokes :)

Enjoy the trip!

Once I encountered solid rain on 2 days riding through France on a Yamaha SR 500. That was bad - wet feet after the first hour.

Hi.

I've done longer-distance rides in Germany on Zundapp mopeds and one KS 175, trips of up to 400 Kilometers one-way. Also on 50cc bikes (the unrestricted ones, 100+ km/h on the Autobahn) at full throttle for 90% of the entire trip.

Never had an engine problem.

If you go for a long distance where you expect to go at high speed/full throttle for longer periods of time, increase the oil flow, i.e. either set the oil pump to a higher level or if you run pre-mix go for 1:25 (which i did with my Zundapps, all the time).

Here in Bangkok i have so far done 43,000 kilometers on one of my RXZ's in 2 1/2 years and had no problems either.

In fact two-strokes NEED a longer distance trip at high rpm every once in a while - it burns the exhaust free :) As with constantly chugging along in city traffic, oil and carbon will build up in there, over time decreasing the power significantly. One 50+ kilometer trip at decent rpm's and the bike will run like new.

Best regards.....

Thanh

• 1 month later...
If you go for a long distance where you expect to go at high speed/full throttle for longer periods of time, increase the oil flow, i.e. either set the oil pump to a higher level or if you run pre-mix go for 1:25 (which i did with my Zundapps, all the time).

1:25 is not even used on a 50cc race engine! :) 1:50 is about the normal. For what you describe I would say 1:45. :D

I'll add my two cents for the fun of it: I rode a 350 two stroke, air cooled Suzuki from Lawton Oklahom to Ohio in mid July 100 degree plus weather with out a problem. That was in 1969 and my next stop was Vietnam - not as a tourist. I often wonder just how polluting the two strokes are because the larger ones in that era seemd to be pretty good inbetween bikes for around town as well as some time on the American-style super highways.

Hi.

Yeah 1:50 was the factory recommended mix for most of the Zundapp bikes (pre-1970 was 1:25) however i used 1:25 with all of them and as a result i can look back upon close to half a million kilometers on a larger number of two-stroke bikes and one single engine failure (lower rod bearing) - that one was only my second motorized vehicle ever, had the (recommended!) 1:50 in the tank and was raced down a mountain at about three times it's legal speed (anyone here knows the German "Mofa" type? Legally restricted to 25 km/h.... mine did 80 on a good day).

From that day on i always used 1:25 in pre-mix fueled bikes and never had another problem.

There is no such thing as "too much oil" for a two stroke.

Kind regards....

Thanh

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with the post above on the 1:25 mix...

Hotter climates require better oiling... Maybe a slightly colder sparkplug too. See what plug the makers recommend and maybe drop it by one.

I built and rode a CRM250 around Vietnam.. Never again on a 2 stroke... too peaky, too much trouble.

thanks everyone, thats what i wanted to hear! Anyone know of a green kawa ZX150 let me know!

check out the newest sizzle I have in mind......modified of course.

20081210155805.jpg

That would be an absolute little ball tearer. One of my favourite bikes to try and hold onto use to be a little RGV-250, it was a mates,not mine.....hoollly <deleted>, what a cracker, great fun. Ride at your own risk in the rain. That one would be alot more friendlier, at a guess.