Nonimm O Marriage Visa Recommendation

Hi,

I have a Thai wife and I got a non imm O visa (multiple reentry) in NYC and flew to Bangkok. They gave me a 90 day stamp at the airport. It is running out in a few weeks, and I know I can get a 1 year extension at immigration in Bangkok, but my question is this :

I want to visit a friend in Mae Sot, so if I were to cross the friendship bridge and come back would I get another 90 days on my non imm O visa, or would they only give me 15 days ??? Is this a valid way to extend my stay, or should I bite the bullet and go to immigration in Bangkok even though I am going to Mae Sot anyway for a reason other than a border run ??

Thanks,

Phil

As you have a multi-entry visa you can cross the border at Mae Sot and come back in with a new 90 day stamp.

The 15 day stamp is for people using the Visa Exempt rule.

You can cross at any border crossing and return gettting a new 90 day entry. You are not extending your stay when you do this you are getting a new entry.

An extension would be for one year. You can do this within the last 30 days of any entry if you can meet the requirements of 40K income or 400 K in the bank for 2 months.

And yes it is perfectly acceptable - you can continue to make border runs to get new 90 day stays until the day before your visa expires if you do not mind the travel. After that you could do the extension of stay with the 400K in bank 3 months or 40k income on your final entry.

Thanks All for the advice,

I got my 400K in the country a month ago so I will do as you suggest and reply back next week when I get back to let you know how it went.

Take Care,

Phil

PS: Hopefully I won't get arrested at the border (no thanks to that spook they just caught in Suu Kyi's house)

Hi All,

I just got back from Mae Sot. The visa run went really well, except for the last hour of the bus ride through the mountains. If you get car sick you need to bring a motion sickness pill (they sell them at the bus station) and take it right after the bus leaves Tak.

The bus station is only a few minutes from the Myanmar friendship bridge by motorcycle taxi. The Burmese were very pleasant and took my 500 baht for a stamp, and both countries took my temperature at each side of the bridge (swine flu check). If you have a fever I would suggest taking 2 ibuprofen pills before going ...

Personally I don't like Burma. It does not sit well with my spirit and I am not comfortable buying anything there or walking around with a lot of baht in my pocket, so I went back across the bridge over a lot of Burmese crossing the river on top of inner tubes. A Burmese guy told me they pay 40 baht (20 for the tube man, 20 for the guards with guns looking at them). You really have to laugh some times ....

On the Thai side they did not hassle me for anything, (baht in bank account, what are you doing, bla bla bla) They knew why I was there and they gave my 90 day stamp without any questions, other than where do you live ? Bang Na, Oh I am from there too, bla, bla, bla ...

I highly recommend this VISA run to everyone, because Mae Sot is a very pleasant, inexpensive Thai town and the high altitude make the weather very agreeable this time of year.

Phil

You can cross at any border crossing and return gettting a new 90 day entry. You are not extending your stay when you do this you are getting a new entry.

An extension would be for one year. You can do this within the last 30 days of any entry if you can meet the requirements of 40K income or 400 K in the bank for 2 months.

I want to get an extension of my non o visa as well Can you tell me about the 40k income? Can I get this letter from bangkok just like a pensioner would do. Any recent news on getting a non o in cambodia Im planning a trip there and might be easier??

Frank

The income from abroad for an extension based on marriage is indeed established in the same way as the income for an extension based on retirement is. The embassy makes the rules on what they accept as proof. For income from withing Thailand you need to show tax papers to immigration.

I want to get an extension of my non o visa as well Can you tell me about the 40k income? Can I get this letter from bangkok just like a pensioner would do. Any recent news on getting a non o in cambodia Im planning a trip there and might be easier??

Frank

You can use a letter from your embassy to prove your income for an extension based upon marriage.

For a single entry non-o it should not be a problem. Just take a bank book with you that shows a little money in it just in case they ask for it. You will need your marriage certificate (and a copy of both sides) plus copies of your wifes house book and ID card.