Giant Mangos

I just wanted to share this one. We have many large mango trees on our place and in the area. But in our back garden there is one about 3 metres tall and about 2 metres diameter. Its not a big tree, and has had no water in the dry season, no fertiliser or any pruning. In fact no attention at all. Now it has about 15 -20 mangos growing but not ripe yet.

Most of the mangos weigh more than 1 kilo each already !! I have never seen them so big. The Guiness world record is 2.5 kilos, so maybe we won't quite make that. The tree itself doesn't look like a different variety, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has a similar tree.

I just wanted to share this one. We have many large mango trees on our place and in the area. But in our back garden there is one about 3 metres tall and about 2 metres diameter. Its not a big tree, and has had no water in the dry season, no fertiliser or any pruning. In fact no attention at all. Now it has about 15 -20 mangos growing but not ripe yet.

Most of the mangos weigh more than 1 kilo each already !! I have never seen them so big. The Guiness world record is 2.5 kilos, so maybe we won't quite make that. The tree itself doesn't look like a different variety, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has a similar tree.

Tim , we have many varieties of mango (all about 3 years old) and one of them is as you mention , it had 6 fruit this year and the 2 that I have picked to ripen in paper bags weigh 1.1 kg each. I dont know the real names as to my wife ,mangoes are either sweet or sour or salad variety.

I wonder if it's an introduced mango. There's a rather large mango popular in Oz that's called R2E2.

I've got 6 Kensington Pride mango trees aka Bowen Specials grown from seed just over a metre tall at the moment.

There's a picture of the R2E2 on this page. http://www.aussiemango.com.au/aussiemango/family.htm

Can I ask where you got the seeds from?

A family member brought some mangoes back with them from Oz. Another family member liked the mangoes so much they kept the seeds and planted them. I think they managed to get about 3 plants per mango.

Tim , we have many varieties of mango (all about 3 years old) and one of them is as you mention , it had 6 fruit this year and the 2 that I have picked to ripen in paper bags weigh 1.1 kg each. I dont know the real names as to my wife ,mangoes are either sweet or sour or salad variety.

Thanks OD and others. I thought our tree might be unique, but not so. Its not an introduced variety from Oz - I know those varieties well. Maybe it just has its own underground water source that we can't see. We've just had several days of very heavy rain, so I'm hoping they don't drop off. If they get anywhere near the Guiness record I'll post some pics. Regards

A family member brought some mangoes back with them from Oz. Another family member liked the mangoes so much they kept the seeds and planted them. I think they managed to get about 3 plants per mango.

Thank you for that information.

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the mango tree. Slight exaggeration at the beginning. There are actually 12 mangos on it. My wife has just picked 5. All about the same size. Total weight 5.5kgs. The rest are still growing, but no Guiness record is likely.

An update on the mango tree. Slight exaggeration at the beginning. There are actually 12 mangos on it. My wife has just picked 5. All about the same size. Total weight 5.5kgs. The rest are still growing, but no Guiness record is likely.

I grow them commercially, we call it "mamuang chang" over 1 kilo each sometime a lot more.

They are a variety of " nam dogmai " not great tasting ( plain ) but put on a great show.

Take a long time to ripen , prone to cracking.

regards

PS, a healthy smallish tree will easily give 30/40 fruit

Edited by soidog2

I bought 5 'Bowen' mangoe trees from JJ market and their fruits become very large...1kg plus and taste great.

There is also another good variety from Darwin in Oz called kensington pride but have not found them here yet.

• 3 weeks later...