The Best Excuses

cmsally

Sometimes people just wheedle themselves out of situations with the best excuses.

The salesgirl at TT&T today was no exception. For brevity, salesgirl = s and customer (not me) = c

This I overheard today:

c : My Maxnet connection is awful, signal always disconnecting.

s : Hmm, maybe very busy

c : After midnight even worse, can hardly use it.

s: where do you live?

c: Sanpakoy

s: Hmm , I'm sure they are relaying the cable so you can have an 8mbs connection

c: don't see any digging

s: (looks to other sales for back up), they are digging around there aren't they (other sales pulls a face as if to say, leave me out of this).

c: why on earth could it be so bad at night

s: must be the rain! been raining heavily at night (she's pretty sure she has the excuse now, she's looking relieved)

c: I don't think so, I don't see how it would make a difference

s: ah well all the cables go to a box and when it rains it gets wet and expands (hand signals showing box shape get larger)

c: (looks disbelieving) what?

s: yes there is lots of green stuff (hand signals imply she means wires) and that causes the box to expand, as it expands inside.

At that stage my business is finished so I chip in helpfully that my connection is fine, though I am not in Sanpakoy, so I presume my green stuff has been waterproofed.

Whether she went on with her technical explanation who knows !

To be fair to her she wasn't a technician , but maybe better to just tell him to call the callcenter technical support!!

But she was showing initiative from the standard "I don't know".

Anyone have other good excuses!

Sometimes people just wheedle themselves out of situations with the best excuses.

The salesgirl at TT&T today was no exception. For brevity, salesgirl = s and customer (not me) = c

This I overheard today:

s: Hmm , I'm sure they are relaying the cable so you can have an 8mbs connection

s: (looks to other sales for back up), they are digging around there aren't they (other sales pulls a face as if to say, leave me out of this).

s: must be the rain! been raining heavily at night (she's pretty sure she has the excuse now, she's looking relieved)

s: ah well all the cables go to a box and when it rains it gets wet and expands (hand signals showing box shape get larger)

s: yes there is lots of green stuff (hand signals imply she means wires) and that causes the box to expand, as it expands inside.

At that stage my business is finished so I chip in helpfully that my connection is fine, though I am not in Sanpakoy, so I presume my green stuff has been waterproofed.

To be fair to her she wasn't a technician , but maybe better to just tell him to call the callcenter technical support!!

That girl shows great inteligence and knowledge. ADSL connections depend on the telephone cable to the house fron the exchange. With wet weather there is leakage from the cables (I now this is oversimplifying ) through moisture getting into the cracks in the insulation (the same as cars can get hard to start in wet weather and you have to spray the spark plug leads with CRC or water repelling spray.

Moisture can also encourage corrosion in the junction boxes and this is green usually as copper oxides are green. These factors lead to losses which cause slower internet speed.

She also tried to upsell to the faster service.

To me she wasn't making excuses but giving the correct information by the way do you know the word for corrosion or copper oxides in Thai.

This I overheard today:

That girl shows great inteligence and knowledge. ADSL connections depend on the telephone cable to the house fron the exchange. With wet weather there is leakage from the cables (I now this is oversimplifying ) through moisture getting into the cracks in the insulation (the same as cars can get hard to start in wet weather and you have to spray the spark plug leads with CRC or water repelling spray.

Moisture can also encourage corrosion in the junction boxes and this is green usually as copper oxides are green. These factors lead to losses which cause slower internet speed.

To me she wasn't making excuses but giving the correct information by the way do you know the word for corrosion or copper oxides in Thai.

Corrosion: การกัดกร่อน

Copper Oxide: ทองแดงสารประกอบชนิดหนึ่ง

:)

She was full of it and saying anything to get rid of the customer.

What you need to do is to call, be persistent and get past first and second line support (who will also say anything) and get to the person with brains... sadly this won't happen in the shop.

Edited by jackr

returning to thailand the last time the immigration at bkk stamped my passport with 30 dats not the date of my visa. this resulted in me not being able to renew my driving licences on the day I went to do so, instead I had to have th mistake rectified ant CM immigration who rather than addmitting the immigration service had made an error, "reminded" me that it was my duty to check that the officer had put the correct stamp in the passport. very thai

returning to thailand the last time the immigration at bkk stamped my passport with 30 dats not the date of my visa. this resulted in me not being able to renew my driving licences on the day I went to do so, instead I had to have th mistake rectified ant CM immigration who rather than addmitting the immigration service had made an error, "reminded" me that it was my duty to check that the officer had put the correct stamp in the passport. very thai

I can agree with what immigration said, sorry.

It is your responsibility to check that the proper stamp is applied. ( always check the minute after it is stamped, right then, right there. )

This I overheard today:

I hate interferers like you.

By your comment to the TT&T staff you made it look as if the customer’s problem is unique to him.

You did him no favours.

I can agree with what immigration said, sorry.

It is your responsibility to check that the proper stamp is applied. ( always check the minute after it is stamped, right then, right there. )

live and learn, live and learn after nearly 30 years of international business travel you would expect that i would have known ..but i didnt, it has never happened to me before in all that time and i have never seen this advice in official or travel information. how did you find out? did it happen to you or do you just know everything anyway?