Divorce Thai Wife Now Demands Money For Sign Paperwork

mark515

HI All

Help please.

I have just arrived in Thailand from the UK with my Thai wife to divorce. It was agreed we would go to the office together and sign the papers.

Too easy.

Now she is demanding £10000. before she will sign.

Far to much money.

We married in November 2008 her visa came through in December and arrived here in 8th Jan 2009 so we have only been married less than 4 months in the UK and less than 2 months in Thailand.

In the UK I am quite property rich but not lots of Cash. Of which I had the property before marriage. There are no children of fiancial gains during the marriage.

Were is the best, easiest & quickest way to get divorced? UK or Thailand.

How long will it take?

Is she likely to be awarded any settlement?

She has had a foutune in Jewlrey, Dowary, etc 700000b approx.

Thank you

Mark

This woman is out to get every bahts she can out of you. She is on a Bitc# Hunt and she is going to Bitc#slap you :D:)

Yes I had worked that one out myself, Total change soon as she returned here.

Just tell her not to worry you will go to court instead and get half of her assets gained in thailand since marriiage and she will get half your assets gained in thailand since marriage. Tell her to work out which way she will get most then offer her $500.English law starts at 50 % of what you own overall Thai law only covers thai assets. It is a no brainer.

Edited by harrry

She is in her home turf now and Thai law says it's 50% of what you own. Or did you have any prenub before registering the marriage ?

If she is not going to sign i would dump her here and fly back to UK and hire some legal help. If she has no means to get back to UK, maybe you can get a divorce there as she has left you and moved back to Thailand...

She is in her home turf now and Thai law says it's 50% of what you own. Or did you have any prenub before registering the marriage ?

If she is not going to sign i would dump her here and fly back to UK and hire some legal help. If she has no means to get back to UK, maybe you can get a divorce there as she has left you and moved back to Thailand...

I thought under Thai law only gains since marriage not what I had before?

I'm pretty sure from reading previous posts that only assets acquired during the marriage would be subject to the 50/50 split.

If divorcing in England, if no children I doubt that she would be awarded anything after such a short marriage. It wouldn't take much of a lawyer to prove that she was just a gold digger.

I thought under Thai law only gains since marriage not what I had before?

Correct, it is what you gain during your marriage that will be devided, not what you already had before the marriage.

The Thai procedue at the Amphur is always preferable as it is simply going to the amphur and register the divorce and any agreement about a setlement. No lawyer required and in that way you save money and the procedure is very quick. Base your offer on that.

Sometimes the loss of a bit of cash is far less costly emotionally than a messy divorce. Offer 200,000 baht.

I would of thought this was far to much money, It still would cost less in the UK & Thailand.

I've nearly finished my divorce to a gold digging bitch. She tried to get 100% and failed miserably. Any assets you had before marriage are yours and she cannot legally take any part of them.

Good luck with your divorce, i can recommend a very good Thai lawyer if you need one.

Nidge.

I've nearly finished my divorce to a gold digging bitch. She tried to get 100% and failed miserably. Any assets you had before marriage are yours and she cannot legally take any part of them.

Good luck with your divorce, i can recommend a very good Thai lawyer if you need one.

Nidge.

Yes please recommend, I dont mind giving her a small amount of cash but she is far better off now than before the marriage.

Within 3 days of returing to Thailand, got old job back, old home back, and started contact again with the men friends. So she doing ok.

Mark515 don’t fall into the revenge trap. If you go the court route you’ll end up wishing you paid out that little bit extra for an umphur divorce. Worst case scenario you could end up having a court case lasting 5 years including your appearance in court once along with legal and translation fees.

Sometimes it’s worth biting the bullet, getting it over and done with fast and move on with your life.

Mark515 don't fall into the revenge trap. If you go the court route you'll end up wishing you paid out that little bit extra for an umphur divorce. Worst case scenario you could end up having a court case lasting 5 years including your appearance in court once along with legal and translation fees.

Sometimes it's worth biting the bullet, getting it over and done with fast and move on with your life.

I agree, But what I think is a little cash is not the same as hers.

what you need to do is have a male friend of yours that she does not know contact her, and tell him to get friendly and propose to her that he wants to marry her asap.

she will then beg you for a divorce if she beleives your friend is wealthy.

Edited by saintofsilence

Just a word of caution.

There's a lot of well intentioned comment on this and similar threads, but please don't ever assume that the situations shared by others are the same as yours.

Get a good lawyer, but as already suggested, explore and decide yourself whether court or amphur office is the best route. Lawyers in Thailand are the same as any country and will often take you down the road whereby they cut the highest fees.

I can also share that my adopted Thai son got divorced from Thai lady about 2 years back at Amphur office. They had mutually agreed to get divorced and she had signed a divorce agreement before visiting the Amphur office. The divorce agreement included a small settlement (which was put on the table at the Amphur office with agreement that it would be passed over when the documents were totally completed and countersigned by all parties including Amphur official, and she signed a receipt), and the agreement included a clause stipulating that she could make no further claims.

The paperwork was completed at the office in 15 minutes, 300Baht official charge.

All I suggest is try and barter an agreement. Bring the amount down. Remember the flash of cash in front of her eyes might make her accept.

From what you’ve written I can’t see the court being all that favourable in her favour. Very short marriage, I presume she didn’t contribute with income during that time.

She’ll be listening to all her friends telling her she can take you for a fortune. In the court room that won’t happen.

Whatever you do, try your hardest to avoid a court case. It’s just not worth the hassle. Like someone else on this thread I’ve been through the courts and to be honest the courts are fair.

It might be worth mentioning to her that even if the courts award her money she’ll have no way of getting any money off you (unless you have assets in Thailand). All she will end up with is an expensive legal bill and a divorce.

Remind her she’ll have cash in hand to use straight away if she accepts your offer.

All I suggest is try and barter an agreement. Bring the amount down. Remember the flash of cash in front of her eyes might make her accept.

From what you've written I can't see the court being all that favourable in her favour. Very short marriage, I presume she didn't contribute with income during that time.

She'll be listening to all her friends telling her she can take you for a fortune. In the court room that won't happen.

Whatever you do, try your hardest to avoid a court case. It's just not worth the hassle. Like someone else on this thread I've been through the courts and to be honest the courts are fair.

It might be worth mentioning to her that even if the courts award her money she'll have no way of getting any money off you (unless you have assets in Thailand). All she will end up with is an expensive legal bill and a divorce.

Remind her she'll have cash in hand to use straight away if she accepts your offer.

Thank you,

Just a word of caution.

There's a lot of well intentioned comment on this and similar threads, but please don't ever assume that the situations shared by others are the same as yours.

Get a good lawyer, but as already suggested, explore and decide yourself whether court or amphur office is the best route. Lawyers in Thailand are the same as any country and will often take you down the road whereby they cut the highest fees.

I can also share that my adopted Thai son got divorced from Thai lady about 2 years back at Amphur office. They had mutually agreed to get divorced and she had signed a divorce agreement before visiting the Amphur office. The divorce agreement included a small settlement (which was put on the table at the Amphur office with agreement that it would be passed over when the documents were totally completed and countersigned by all parties including Amphur official, and she signed a receipt), and the agreement included a clause stipulating that she could make no further claims.

The paperwork was completed at the office in 15 minutes, 300Baht official charge.

The office is always my 1st option, Just no way am I giving her such a large amount of cash. I am waiting for a reply on my offer, She has seen my property and knows its value so thinks I have the cash, Wrong big property big bills. No better off than someone with a small house. £10000. would take me a very long time to get. By the time I had got this we could divorce on 3 years seperation.

Just tell her not to worry you will go to court instead and get half of her assets gained in thailand since marriiage and she will get half your assets gained in thailand since marriage. Tell her to work out which way she will get most then offer her $500.English law starts at 50 % of what you own overall Thai law only covers thai assets. It is a no brainer.

This is the best advice so far. Thai law does only include what was gained after marriage and the 50/50 split works both ways. It also allows for property that was bought after marriage using money from property owned before marriage to be exempted from the community property split. Income received from properties owned before marriage are considered community property though. Work it out with a good lawyer before you make an offer.

pity you dodnt even have time to get to know her,that could have changed your marriage thoughts.Maybe she feels let down by you too,

Quoted post deleted for flaming - mario2008

I agree we did not know each other well enough, My fault there I rushed it, But as far as the marriage went I was 100% to my word as how life would be and what we expected from one another was agreed before, This is not what I wanted the lady is all I ever wanted. But it was soon noticable all she wanted was money, money and more money, There was no love from her at all. Sad but the truth.

You do not have to wait 3 years you said she had boy friends now, get the evidence and they could be held liable and sued too for any losses you incur. I don't think you have to go the whole way but if you can get someone respectable to confront her with this evidence , the law, your willingness to go to court if you have to but your prefence for her acting reasonably I am sure she will come to the amphur if not the party.

Remember it is only Thai assets that are in question here. Not your English ones unless you divorce in England.

Edited by harrry

HI All

Help please.

I have just arrived in Thailand from the UK with my Thai wife to divorce. It was agreed we would go to the office together and sign the papers.

Too easy.

Far to much money.

We married in November 2008 her visa came through in December and arrived here in 8th Jan 2009 so we have only been married less than 4 months in the UK and less than 2 months in Thailand.

In the UK I am quite property rich but not lots of Cash. Of which I had the property before marriage. There are no children of fiancial gains during the marriage.

Were is the best, easiest & quickest way to get divorced? UK or Thailand.

How long will it take?

Is she likely to be awarded any settlement?

She has had a foutune in Jewlrey, Dowary, etc 700000b approx.

Thank you

Mark

Mark,

I'd usually take the pi55, but I won't.

Right there with you kiddo, you have my sympathies. I made a mistake about 6 years ago. 10 million Baht hole so I am in now.

You can't warn guys enough about this. It's always the kind ones that get hit.

Do you have a good lawyer? I can get the number of a friend of mine, he's a barrister here and King's Counsel. He's based in Rayong.

:):D:D

Way to go girl...Thailand need all the foreign exchange it can muster at the moment!

Stay married. That way you don't have to give her squat.

No Thanks.

Umm. Yes thanks. You are thinking/reacting with the heart and not the head. You are presumably in no rush to get married again? If you were I would say, offer a lesser amount. If not then I would say offer her a bunch of old dead roses. Why give her one satang more? You will kick yourself later.

Talk to a lawyer, sure. But I would suggest getting on a plane soon after if he supports what I am saying. She can't get married either remember ... until she can get a divorce on the basis of abandonment/separation/whatever. Tell her she can have it now (but no payment) or SHE can wait and whistle.

Also read this for real information, not conjecture:

http://www.thailawonline.com/thailand/divorce-in-thailand