Australian Man Marries Thai Man

I've never started a thread in this particular forum before, so apologies if I'm wrong, but I think this couple is gay.

30102868-01.jpg

An Australian man, Chris Ruthof, 21, weds a Thai man; Suparb Ruenkong, 22, in a Thai traditional wedding party in Nakhon Ratchasima's Chalermprakiat district Sunday.

The Nation / 2009-05-18

Best wishes to the couple.

The news article on this story is no doubt forthcoming, but there's none so far.

Is there precedence for this? I don't know.

Edited by sriracha john

Legally, I don't think it's a goer. Thailand does not recognise gay marriage or civil partnerships. If a UK citizen wants to undertake a civil partnership with a same-sex Thai partner they have to go to the British Embassy in Vietnam.

It wouldn't be a goer even if the couple were heterosexual. Thai traditional ceremonies are not legally recognized and all marriages are only legal once registered with the Amphur.

Nevertheless, they had a lovely ceremony with friends and family acknowledging their relationship, which is the most important part for most of the Thai people I know. For instance my inlaws got legally married more than 35 years after their ceremony, my brother in law and his wife got the documents from the amphur about 18 years after their ceremony. Most people consider the amphur just a piece of paper and the important part is the ceremony with family and friends.

Legally, I don't think it's a goer. Thailand does not recognise gay marriage or civil partnerships. If a UK citizen wants to undertake a civil partnership with a same-sex Thai partner they have to go to the British Embassy in Vietnam.

Thank you for the information. Are you aware of any other previous gay marriages in Thailand (even if it was only for ceremonial purposes)? Can I take from your comment that Vietnam recognizes gay marriage?

It wouldn't be a goer even if the couple were heterosexual. Thai traditional ceremonies are not legally recognized and all marriages are only legal once registered with the Amphur.

Nevertheless, they had a lovely ceremony with friends and family acknowledging their relationship, which is the most important part for most of the Thai people I know. For instance my inlaws got legally married more than 35 years after their ceremony, my brother in law and his wife got the documents from the amphur about 18 years after their ceremony. Most people consider the amphur just a piece of paper and the important part is the ceremony with family and friends.

35 years of living in sin?? :)

just kidding, of course... :D

for mine, it's been 39 years, 7 children, and they're still not "married" ...(in the amphur logbooks)

Incidentally, The Nation still hasn't published a story with it yet, but put a new caption under the photo which reads:

Chris Ruthof, a 21 year-old Australian, ties the knot with his sweetheart 22 year-old Suparp Ruenkong at the latter’s hometown in Nakhon Ratchasima. The dowry for the Thai transvestite is Bt100,000 cash, 151.6 grams of gold, and a Bt9 million home in Australia.

Edited by sriracha john

Yes, when I found out I told my husband that when I'd called him a b@stard I had been correct.

Somehow, he didn't find that as funny as I did :)

But, no. in rural Thailand many people do not go to the amphur for the paperwork. My inlaws got married for tax purposes (my FIL found out he could save alot in taxes by legally marrying his wife).

Most of the Thai people I know consider a couple "married" when they move in together. And yes, gay and lesbian couples living together are given the same sort of status as heterosexual couples living together.

Thank you for the information. Are you aware of any other previous gay marriages in Thailand (even if it was only for ceremonial purposes)? Can I take from your comment that Vietnam recognizes gay marriage?

I don't know of any other gay marriages in Thailand. It's not Viet Nam that recognises gay marriages but the British Embassy in Hanoi that can register a UK 'civil partnership' whereas the Embassy in Bangkok can't/won't.

More here

I don't know of any other gay marriages in Thailand. It's not Viet Nam that recognises gay marriages but the British Embassy in Hanoi that can register a UK 'civil partnership' whereas the Embassy in Bangkok can't/won't.

More here

Ah, ok. I see now. I was sort of surprised thinking of a communist nation as being more progressive, but it's got nothing to do with them and is the respective Embassy's choice. That sort of reminds me of the ever-different rules at Thai consulates/embassies around the world on visa issues.

Thanks for the info and link.

btw, oddly enough, The Nation, as of now, still has not produced an article to go along with the photo and caption.

Edited by sriracha john

More here

Ah, ok. I see now. I was sort of surprised thinking of a communist nation as being more progressive, but it's got nothing to do with them and is the respective Embassy's choice. That sort of reminds me of the ever-different rules at Thai consulates/embassies around the world on visa issues.

Thanks for the info and link.

btw, oddly enough, The Nation, as of now, still has not produced an article to go along with the photo and caption.

It looks as though that communist nation is more progressive:

"British law allows for couples, where at least one partner is a British national, to register their partnership overseas, if the local authorities do not object to us doing so."

That would imply that the Vietnamese government has no problem with civil partnerships whereas the Thai government does.

30102868-01.jpg

An Australian man, Chris Ruthof, 21, weds a Thai man; Suparb Ruenkong, 22, in a Thai traditional wedding party in Nakhon Ratchasima's Chalermprakiat district Sunday.

The Nation / 2009-05-18

...apologies if I'm wrong, but I think this couple is gay.

Yes, I think it's safe to draw that conclusion. :)

Incidentally, The Nation still hasn't published a story with it yet, but put a new caption under the photo which reads:

Chris Ruthof, a 21 year-old Australian, ties the knot with his sweetheart 22 year-old Suparp Ruenkong at the latter's hometown in Nakhon Ratchasima. The dowry for the Thai transvestite is Bt100,000 cash, 151.6 grams of gold, and a Bt9 million home in Australia.

The pic of Suparp looks like a guy ... not a ladyboy (transvestite). Maybe "she" is a very unattractive ladyboy.

Ruthof paid a huge dowry. The guy is a total fool! I would never pay a dowry unless it was given back "secretly" after the wedding/ceremonies had taken place. I have met many women (even with living parents) that would marry without a dowry.

The dowry for the Thai transvestite is Bt100,000 cash, 151.6 grams of gold, and a Bt9 million home in Australia.

:D

:):D

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder..............

Guess the kid wasn't reading the TV threads on doweries.

My god how intellingent you are. You see a picture and you know immediately that the Thai person is a transvestite?

Or are you just stupid and you do not know the difference between a gay couple or a couple where one part is bisexual and the former partner made a sex change?

Another confused sould just having fun of the costs of nature. Homophobic creature! Better stop any postings here and use your brain.

Regards Zappergeck

tsk tsk. I had quoted part of a post that now seems to have disappeared. The tip off is the fonts. I didn't invent the transvestite part. Now you are intimating that one of the lovebirds has had a sex change operation. TMI ok.

I don't don't need or want to know anymore details. (BTW look up, at the original post, it was edited.)

I don't think I am stupid, because I got me all sorts of book larnin. I even got me a fancy job title: Chief Science Officer. I also know all about gay people, since I have spent the last 3 years driving 2 of them quite mad with my silliness. I even have a part time gay roomie, although I wonder if he really is gay since he changes in the bathroom and I'm the one that walks around in my boxers. He's never even made a pass at my hansum body, which causes me to question his gayness even more. After all, who could resist me?

I am a forgiving person and shall allow your indiscretion to pass by. I suggest that you follow your own advice and use your brain before tossing accusations. And for the record, educated Thais do not usually offer a dowery. Large sinsots are associated with low end foriegner-Thai couplings. Sorry but IMHO that's the reality. Read the TV threads and ask your educated upper end Thai friends, if you have any.

Have a wonderful day.

For the record, the transvestite reference was in the updated photo caption in Post # 6, and not the OP, and still remains.

The OP editing was a spelling correction.

Additionally, large sinsots DO become involved with the upper crust with previously reported auspicious amounts of 9,999,999 baht involved.

An example was when a local bigwig, former Sports and Tourism Minister Sontaya Kunplome got married:

The dowry featured Bt4,444,000 cash, a land title deed, a set of diamond accessories worth more than Bt1 million, and gold ornaments weighing 20 baht (about 300 grams).
Edited by sriracha john

They are about the most attractive Thai-Westerner couple I have ever seen. Young love. So sweet. So when do you reckon Thailand will legally recognize gay marriages?

Never...I suppose. I would like to, it would make my life easier than doing the same thing in my home country with a substantial sum of money. It seems that to be wed one has to be sort of rich and well-established, not something everyone can do.

In my case, we have another aspect that my partner is a guardian of her sister's baby so all the legal aspects are rather important. Happily though, Finland just voted for the law that allows adoption in same-sex partnership, heading - of course - to the direction of full adoption rights.

Somebody said that easiest way would be recognicing the gender free marriage, as not a gender issue at all. Easier said than done, I suppose. Sexuality bothers so many people.