Chiang Mai University

rickthailand

hi I have posted this in thai language forum also but as it is in chiang mai I post it here as well.

I will be joining the chiang mai university 1 year thai program does anyone here has any experience

with this program? I would love to hear your oppinions.

thanks

rick

This is a good university so the course should be also good. Ask if you can sit in a lesson or get a free demonstration. I think somebody mentioned that they only had weekend courses if I remember correctly. Also have a look at their teaching materials. I would strongly recommend only schools that teach you without transliterated Thai (karaoke Thai) as this is a mistaken way of teaching.

Walen School - Dream Your Dreams in Thai

www.thaiwalen.com

I am curently doing this course at CMU and have also done the Beginner COnversation and Intermediate Convesation.

My view is that you will progress faster if you do the one Month Beginner Conversation first as it is5 days a week 4 hrs a day and concentrates on getting you to use a 500 word vocabulary andstart to be able to speak in the environment.

WIth the Begginer course you can get a 3 month visa letter but have to pay about 500 baht extra.

You also get extras such as abillity to use some CMU facilities (gym and swimming pool) withou having to pay membership.

I am curently doing this course at CMU and have also done the Beginner COnversation and Intermediate Convesation.

My view is that you will progress faster if you do the one Month Beginner Conversation first as it is5 days a week 4 hrs a day and concentrates on getting you to use a 500 word vocabulary andstart to be able to speak in the environment.

WIth the Begginer course you can get a 3 month visa letter but have to pay about 500 baht extra.

You also get extras such as abillity to use some CMU facilities (gym and swimming pool) withou having to pay membership.

Harrry, I took the 1 month course when it was called Intensive Introduction to Thai. Thought it was very good and after one month, could indeed have conversations in Thai. Is the one-year course an extension of the course you mention, or is it a completely different program?

I took the 1 month course when it was called Intensive Introduction to Thai. Thought it was very good and after one month, could indeed have conversations in Thai. Is the one-year course an extension of the course you mention, or is it a completely different program?

THey dropped the writing out of the first course but Aom still does it and it is great for getting started.

The One year course is of course cashing in on the people wanting the one year visa but is still a high quality course. Mine is 2 hrs on sat and 2hrs on sun. Small classes high quality instructor teaches reading and writing very close to the start.

I would prefer it to be 4 hrs a day 5 days a week but then I am not reliant on the visa.

i just came back from the university and they said that doling the 1 month course is not neccesary if you do the 1 year program as it is basically the same as things covered in the course. It is only suited for people that don't have the time to do the 1 year course(and don't need a visa)

I was impressed with the information given to me and I will join up.

rick

My reason for suggesting the one year course is in 3 weeks you have a 500 word vocabulary and can start using it in everyday life. The 1 year course will cover the same ground. It will teach the alphabet and some words to use it with and grammar. By the time you have done 40 or 50 hours of the long course you will have covered the same. ie 3 monthsto get to the vocabulary that you would have in one.

Doing the other course in my opinion lets you get out in the community faster and learn by that too. You can then concentrate more on the reading and writing and grammar and have more vocabulary to use with it.

Up to you. Either way you will learn Thai well. It is a good course.

I can only speak as a student there.

i just came back from the university and they said that doling the 1 month course is not neccesary if you do the 1 year program as it is basically the same as things covered in the course. It is only suited for people that don't have the time to do the 1 year course(and don't need a visa)

i contacted the uni by email and got the same info. one month course is stand alone, covers pretty much the

same as the one year course, only compressed. seems to be a good idea to take the short course first, then

follow up with the one-year. will be some repetition, at least at first. but if starting out with four hours

per week, how long will it take to learn how to order noodles?

i plans work out, i'll be starting intensive course in august, then long-term course in october.

Posted a new query about private tuition already, but might look at group lessons. When does the Walen school open in CM? Can't see this info on their site.

We do not have this information on the website, we hope to open in early July. The construction is already taking place in 12 Huey Keaw as well as the registration process with the MoE.

Walen School - Mystery Solved!

www.thaiwalen.com

Posted a new query about private tuition already, but might look at group lessons. When does the Walen school open in CM? Can't see this info on their site.

We do not have this information on the website, we hope to open in early July. The construction is already taking place in 12 Huey Keaw as well as the registration process with the MoE.

Walen School - Mystery Solved!

www.thaiwalen.com

Whereabouts on Huay Kaew is 12?