Fixing The Satelite Tv Reception

myauq

the folks who work in our condo don't know how to fix the tv reception when it's been disrupted after a storm. to be honest they are pretty dense. they sit around all day watching tv, and only do work when the boss turns up.

every time the reception goes haywire, they say that they can't do anything until the 'engineer' turns up. the 'engineer' is just a friend of the landlord who knows how to configure the tv satelite dishes and computer system. these aren't hard things to learn, but they are obviously well beyond the skills of the odd-job people we've got working here. i simply don't think they're smart enough to learn how to fix the problem.

my question is this - how do you fix the satelite tv reception after a storm? i don't think it's too difficult so i'd like to know so i can just do it my bloody self. anyone else experience this incompetence where they live?

thanks.

Personally I am at a loss to know what you are talking about mate, Doesnt matter how bad the storms are it doesnt have any long term effect on the reception. You just lose the signal for a few minutes when the rain is particularly dense.

HL :)

Personally I am at a loss to know what you are talking about mate, Doesnt matter how bad the storms are it doesnt have any long term effect on the reception. You just lose the signal for a few minutes when the rain is particularly dense.

HL :)

Yep, I agree - the rain comes and the signal goes. The rain goes and the signal comes back.

End of story.

yes, that makes sense, and fits with my previous experience living in the los and overseas.

but in our place the reception goes and we lose a few channels. sometimes we can get them back, other times it takes a few days for this bloke to come back and get them fixed. i think it's to do with the tuning system in the office, but i'm not sure because they won't let me see it. if i knew for sure what it was, then i could tell them and just fix it myself.

It is a common effect with these small dishes, heavy rain disrupts the signal. My parents experienced the same thing in snow storms in the US as well and nobody from DISH ever came out to fiddle with their dish. It just came back by itself. Nothing to do with Thai people not wanting to fix anything.

I suspect person is talking about a local CATV system being used by the apartment block. The power loss/lightning strike results in loss of memory and channels have to be tuned in again. Not hard but you do have to know what goes where and a general maintenance worker would not have a clue.

yes, that makes sense, and fits with my previous experience living in the los and overseas.

but in our place the reception goes and we lose a few channels. sometimes we can get them back, other times it takes a few days for this bloke to come back and get them fixed. i think it's to do with the tuning system in the office, but i'm not sure because they won't let me see it. if i knew for sure what it was, then i could tell them and just fix it myself.

Those times when a few of the channels do not return has it been after a power failure?

Those times when a few of the channels do not return has it been after a power failure?

no power failure, just heavy downpour and thunder. sometimes no storm though, just downpour before they go out.

usually there is disruption to most if not all channels, then they come back online within five minutes. when this happens there is always a few channels that they lose until this call-out bloke can come around and fix it. sometimes this takes anywhere between 5 hours to 2 weeks. it's just so annoying when it is the latter :)

i will try and take a photo of the set-up in the office if the boss is in tomorrow, and post it on tv. see if anyone can tell me what i need to do.

i haven't been able to catch the boss this week, so no photos to upload yet.

but, just in the past few days some of the channels have come back online (after two weeks!!!) - the 'engineer' guy must have come around to fix them. but, in doing this, they've also created another problem. the picture on one of the international news channels has been paused. there is a big flashing pause symbol in the top corner of the screen, the image has frozen, but the sound broadcasts as normal. i don't think this is as difficult to fix, but i know the workers can't do it (i've seen the boss do it).

anyone know how to fix this so i can do it myself?

Is your condo listed on your work permit? :)

Seriously; suspect you should not be fooling around where you do not belong. When you see the person responsible offer your help if you want (to save him extra trips) but don't touch anything without a prior OK.

and today the saga continues....

just phoned the boss (whose not in the building) to see if they can't fix the news channel. it seems like they've just phoned back to the workers downstairs, who have had a go at fixing the problem. instead of fixing it they'e managed to erase all of the satelite channels, and instead we have a blank screen with the provider's blue menu bar underneath. dam_n. :)

But at lest you are not the one who did it.

honestly, it's not a problem with our landlord. a few weeks back we wrecked a fridge. after apologising and looking for replacements, she allowed us to pay for a new one and have it delivered to our apartment.

the problem is that this woman has hired complete idiots as workers in this place. they are also very rude and impolite to my gf btw. imho karen workers would have it fixed in no time, and would been nice to chat with too while they were at it (without any nationalistic posturing either).

I did not mean to imply that it was - but unless you know how to fix the problem it is probably better that you not become the scapegoat. Now that it is down you might offer to try your hand at fixing or offer to lean for the next time. I suspect there are probably no instructions written down.