Thailand Health Insurance

denboy

Hi, I am due to renew my BUPA health insurance in June 2009. I joined BUPA after I was 60 so after this year I do not qaulify for further insurance under the Thailand Company. When I requested reccomedations for continuation of health insurance within Thailand, they informed me that they would transfer my policy to the UK branch.

I am not interested in world wide insurance only Thailand, BUPA uk covers world wide and is so expensive it is a definate no-no for my pocket.

I have looked at LMG online and they seem to offer continuation after 71, they also appear to give greater cover of course the premium is somwhat higher.

I have used BUPA twice for minor hospital instays and they have paid each time with no problem. Has anyone experience of LMG, or alternative insurers.

Perhaps some of the older long stay expats have some experiences in this field. I welcome and info.

Cheers

Do not forget !

Health insurance with limitation (f.e. 1 mill baht) is useless.

You dont need insurance for paying minor bills

(they pay lets say 4000 a year and you pay 18000 for insurance. Bullshit !

You need insurance for the big expenses and unlimited !

And:

You need insurance for the same prize till you die !!!

Most expensive is you last year, your last 12 month of living ! Thats about 80 % of the expenses for medical aid in your live !! And you need insurance, you are able to pay in the last years of your live ! (65 years up !)

And you need unlimited (!!!!!) insurance for the small (!) chance you get serious ill when you are younger or have bad accident ! In these cases, your bills will go through the roof very fast (1 million baht and more !!!).

You may be able to pay 1 million baht, but you are in a real trouble, if you can not pay more, and this would be necessary to save your live !! F.e. in Thailand, they actually let you die, if you can not pay !!! Or if your health insurance is not willing to pay ! It´s no Joke ! It´s just brutal kapitalism !

I think, in my country a limited health insurance is not allowed by law ! And this with totaly right reasons!

(what is much better, if they do not pay the small bills - f. e. up to 10000 Baht per month, and pay all (!!!) expenses above(!!) this sum ) (this kind of insurance is (should be !) much cheaper !)

Insurance is only helpful for the small kind of probability ! For everything else, it´s only good for making big profit for the companies ! Problem: Most customers do not understand these basics of insurance ! The companies do know this very well !

conclusion:

- fixes rates till you die

- unlimited

is what you need

Thats not cheap - it cant be cheap ! And its nearly impossible, to start this, when you are 60 years and more - sorry!

Or you have to pay extraordinary high rates !

And, you have to prove, that you are absolutely healthy, when you start ! They do not pay for diseases, starting before beginning of the insurance !

(beeing fat, smoking, drinking too much alcohol, diabetes, arthritis ...)

Hi, I am due to renew my BUPA health insurance in June 2009. I joined BUPA after I was 60 so after this year I do not qaulify for further insurance under the Thailand Company. When I requested reccomedations for continuation of health insurance within Thailand, they informed me that they would transfer my policy to the UK branch.

I am not interested in world wide insurance only Thailand, BUPA uk covers world wide and is so expensive it is a definate no-no for my pocket.

I have looked at LMG online and they seem to offer continuation after 71, they also appear to give greater cover of course the premium is somwhat higher.

I have used BUPA twice for minor hospital instays and they have paid each time with no problem. Has anyone experience of LMG, or alternative insurers.

Perhaps some of the older long stay expats have some experiences in this field. I welcome and info.

Cheers

LMG do offer very good plans for all budgets. They can offer low cost 'basic' cover or full 'premium' cover which will pay for anything you may need – your choice.

Please contact Thai Visa Insurance for all the details :

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form

Cheers

Too bad you joined Bupa after 60, because for the money, they are the best in Thailand. I joined at age 59, so I am insured for life. Bupa in Thailand is also world wide except for the USA. The next best thing for you is LMG, of course more expensive, but a very good company.

Barry

Cheers

Found this post, somewhere it mentions a discount scheme in the LMG insurance.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Insurance-t140508.html

Edited by bunple

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks "Denboy": This is an important matter for old expats.

I asked about this at BUPA a few days ago (Chiangmai office).

Their premium rate chart stops at age 65.

However, Thai staff explained that over age 65 just pay 10% more.

No mention of any restrictions about age at first policy to qualify or not.

And I didn't know enough to ask.

So, based on that one conversation a few days ago, BUPA insurance does seem to be available to those over 65.

Any BUPA customer here over 65 know about more about this?

-- Oneman