Fortuner Engine Cutting Out

These last 2 days on Trips to Bangkok in my 1 year old Fortuner Smart the engine just about died, The engine warning light came on (The transmission shaped thingy) and 80% of the Power just disappeared ? It would not rev past maybe 2000 Rpm, just flat as a fart. I pulled over on the Hard shoulder and decided to switch the engine off and wait a few minutes, after re starting it ran fine, until i hit about 160 Kph again, then exactly the same thing happened ? I tried many other ways to see if it would happen again, it does every time i push it hard and am travelling around 160 ish, anything 140 and below seems fine ? Anyone else ever had this happen ? any thoughts beofre i take it to Toyota ?

Had a similar problem with my old Mercedes. Was just a dirty fuel filter. Changed it and runs fine now.

Surely that would not bring the engine management light on though, all good until very near top end, seems like something electronic to me ? as it resets and is fine after a restart. Will obviously check it though, Thanks

Edited by pattayapip

Your probem is engine management, the ecu needs re setting, only the toyota dealer can do it,.even if out of warranty ill bet they dont charge for it,.

Its been suggested that i reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for a while, so will try that before Toyota, Fuel is clean, filter is fine, not checked pump, but will try this reset then off to Toyota i go, its just painful to visit and wait for so long and struggle to describe the problem, limp home mode about sums it up too !

Thanks all

Edited by pattayapip

I think it's water in your fuel tank. I know you think it's fine but undeground tanks at shoddy gas stations can get water in easily. I had that situation once, it's not life threatening, just take it to service center and let them drain all the fuel out, you also might bring your own canister first, to fill the tank after they are done.

These last 2 days on Trips to Bangkok in my 1 year old Fortuner Smart the engine just about died, The engine warning light came on (The transmission shaped thingy) and 80% of the Power just disappeared ? It would not rev past maybe 2000 Rpm, just flat as a fart. I pulled over on the Hard shoulder and decided to switch the engine off and wait a few minutes, after re starting it ran fine, until i hit about 160 Kph again, then exactly the same thing happened ? I tried many other ways to see if it would happen again, it does every time i push it hard and am travelling around 160 ish, anything 140 and below seems fine ? Anyone else ever had this happen ? any thoughts beofre i take it to Toyota ?

Speed limit on Thai highways is 120.

Please turn yourself in to the nearest police station before arranging to leave Thailand forever.

And if you have ever thrown a cigarette butt out the window please volunteer for the death penalty

After the obvious filters, water, wax etc, remove battery for 30 minutes, drink 3 very cold Chang, replace battery, turn on ignition for 20 minutes - do not start - allow firmware to reset to ambient defaults and drive away.

BR>Jack

PS This is presupposing that all mechanicals are good. Look up exit code on internet.

PPS It might be a bad turbo, if ya have one - bearings freeze up with heat.

Its almost certainly an Auto trans problem, whether its dirty oil and filter in the box, dont know, if it was changed at first service, should be ok, but dont bank on it!, if you drive hard [it seems you do] this will cause ecess wear in the clutches causing dirty oil, which in turn might have partially blocked valves and electronic sensors,

Also not sure if your model has a Trans oil cooler, this could be clogged with dust/dirt/mud and flies, worth a look..Usually located under or in front of the radiator.

Well, I am pretty sure that when my Toyota diesel got water in the tank it was that "transmission shape thingy" light that came up, and that the car lost power at high speed and it wasn't a bid deal as I called to a Toyota mechanic and drove to Nakhon Sawan and back before cleaning the tank.

The last gas station I before this problem used soon went out of business, it was a Shell franchise with all the reliability of a family quality control.

Reset ecu same problem, just got back from bangkok again same cut out at 160, same engine warning light, same result, stop car turn off and then start again and its fine, i am thinking its not a fuel supply problem as if i put in manual third gear and rev its nuts off at 140 all is ok, change into auto and top, up to 160 and cuts out :) So off to Toyota in the morning, Thanks for all the suggestions

Reset ecu same problem, just got back from bangkok again same cut out at 160, same engine warning light, same result, stop car turn off and then start again and its fine, i am thinking its not a fuel supply problem as if i put in manual third gear and rev its nuts off at 140 all is ok, change into auto and top, up to 160 and cuts out :) So off to Toyota in the morning, Thanks for all the suggestions

It's just some sensor, that died, I tell you. I assume you have the petrol version instead of the diesel?

If petrol it can be 3 things: Ingition, Fuel supply, EMS sensors. For the diesel, mostly fuel supply.

It's just some sensor, that died, I tell you. I assume you have the petrol version instead of the diesel?

If petrol it can be 3 things: Ingition, Fuel supply, EMS sensors. For the diesel, mostly fuel supply.

Diesel, anyway will see what they say at Toyota tomorrow

Interesting post.

I’ve had the same problem twice now with my Tiger Hilux 3L EFI Diesel.

7 years old , but only 68,000K completed.

First time about 2 months ago in a traffic jam, and then 3 days ago after I pulled up to take a phone call leaving the engine running.

Both times the engine light came on and I shut it down for a few seconds, and then everything seemed to be ok again.

Will try disconnecting the battery, reconnecting and turning the ignition on for 20 minutes as suggested. If that doesn’t work, I will have to take it to Toyota for a check.

About the same time this problem started, I’ve noticed the power steering is not smooth at standstill anymore, but ok on the move.

Seems to be worst in the wet, and almost fails when driving though floods. Anyone else had this problem?

Cheers,

Mike.

Still not sorted, went to Dealer could not get booked in, Made appointment for this afternoon, will report back

The Technician said that he reset the ECU, So my attempt at resetting by disconnecting did no good :D Working fine now :D Steady 160/170/+ and all good :D Only for Testing purposes though :)

Disconnecting battery can lead to problems with the entertainment system.

Driving a Fortuner at 160 is travelling way over it's limits. Even 110 is probably to fast. Try not to kill anyone....including yourself!

Still not sorted, went to Dealer could not get booked in, Made appointment for this afternoon, will report back

The Technician said that he reset the ECU, So my attempt at resetting by disconnecting did no good :D Working fine now :D Steady 160/170/+ and all good :D Only for Testing purposes though :)

If everything works fine now, I suspect your autobox oilcooler was full of dirt (or covered by a plastic bag) overheating auto. have a look. If you do much 150+ driving you may want a larger cooler or just one more same size. I did that on my fortuner 2005, one more original same size fitted at Toyota at 2-3.000 baht. If you chips your engine to 205hp/440Nm you must increase auto cooling. This engine comes with an improved 5 speed auto in Euro, but not here yet.

Disconnecting battery can lead to problems with the entertainment system.

Driving a Fortuner at 160 is travelling way over it's limits. Even 110 is probably to fast. Try not to kill anyone....including yourself!

Oh dear............. :):D

sorry i didnt read this post earlier,

first of the fortuner does have a 160km speed limit by parameters set by the ecu.

though depending on the verison of the ecu, some seem not as vonurable as others, but never the less,

we have top speed unlock item available,

this will basicly tell the ecu you are driving at 160 max, but in real life you will be going over.

but because the ecu doesnt read the signal output of 160+ then it wont cut.

if you want this option, you can PM me for more info, price etc.

((haha i dont want to get into the topic of 160 is going to fast, cause i drive about 180-205 on the highway.)))haha enjoy.

Edited by philipm