Visa Run From Kanchanaburi

DanielleXPT

Hello!!!

My bf and I are on a 15 day visa and need to extend, where is the best place for a visa run from Kanchanaburi?

Thank you!

Sorry but you are in an awkward location. The nearest crossing south of Kanchanaburi is Ranong on the way to Phuket, going north you will have to go to all the way up to Mae Sot. You cannot get a Thai Visa, or extension of stay, at the Three Pagodas Pass 'nearby', though you can make a brief crossing to Burma. You have to resign yourself to a lengthy journey, but there are buses that will take you in both directions, though you will need to make various connections.

If you think you may want to stay longer than the 15 days you will get at any road crossing, then why not consider 'biting the bullet', go into Bangkok and from there travel to Vientianne in Laos and get a 60 day Visa, or even two ? With extensions that would give you up to 180 days to explore this wonderful country.

If you need more details of the actual crossings, or how to get there, just ask here or send a PM. Without knowing your personal situation it is hard to be precise. For example why not consider hiring a car to make the journey ?

Edited by AjarnChan

Hello!!!

My bf and I are on a 15 day visa and need to extend, where is the best place for a visa run from Kanchanaburi?

Thank you!

Sorry but you are in an awkward location. The nearest crossing south of Kanchanaburi is Ranong on the way to Phuket, going north you will have to go to all the way up to Mae Sot. You cannot get a Thai Visa, or extension of stay, at the Three Pagodas Pass 'nearby', though you can make a brief crossing to Burma. You have to resign yourself to a lengthy journey, but there are buses that will take you in both directions, though you will need to make various connections.

If you think you may want to stay longer than the 15 days you will get at any road crossing, then why not consider 'biting the bullet', go into Bangkok and from there travel to Vientianne in Laos and get a 60 day Visa, or even two ? With extensions that would give you up to 180 days to explore this wonderful country.

If you need more details of the actual crossings, or how to get there, just ask here or send a PM. Without knowing your personal situation it is hard to be precise. For example why not consider hiring a car to make the journey ?

So I can go to Laos and apply for 2 60 day visas at the embassy? How much is that and how long will it take? I dont have to fly do I? If I hire a car, do I drive or are you suggesting getting a driver? Thanks!

You can get the bus or train from Bangkok to Nong Khai. Cross the border and get a Tuk Tuk or Mini Bus to Vientienne. Apply for a 2 entry Tourist Visa at the Thai Consulate Free of charge until June 4th. Apply in the morning collect the next afternoon.

A Visa is needed to enter Laos. Get at the border or at the Laos Embassy Bangkok. Around 1,500 Baht.

I do live about 60 km away from Kanchanaburi and I make my visa runs to Butterworth ( Penang)

The train ride cost me 2200 baht return on a aircon sleeper. No need for a visa in Malaysia

I admid the train ride is quiet lenghty about 17 hours but you don't even notice that since you will

mostly travel overnight. You can get decent accommodation for about 500-600 baht.

Ok so I am going to go to Mae Sot, it will be the easiest and then I will go to Laos. I want to make sure I understand everything so

1. I heard from a woman that the border is closed, is this true??

2. I go to Mae Sot, pay 500 B, cross and can stay there for a day or leave if I want to?

3. I will get 15 days, can I get any more or only 15?

4. Can I drive a Motorbike from Kanchanaburi into Myanmar or should I leave it on the border?

5. I have 2 pages in my passport left and would like to get pages extended after I go to Mae Sot, what do you think about this?

Hope You can help and thank you to all that has posted!!!!!

If you need pages might as well go to Bangkok and visit your Embassy and get those, then take a train and go to Laos and get your 60 day tourist visa. Why go north and then go south and then go east and then go around in circles. Also more info might be helpful like what country are you from since there may be different rules about new pages.

If you did fly out and come back guess what you get a 30 day stay.

If you cross a border by land all you get is 15 days permission to stay. Visa only given outside of Thailand.

Edited by moe666

2. I go to Mae Sot, pay 500 B, cross and can stay there for a day or leave if I want to?

4. Can I drive a Motorbike from Kanchanaburi into Myanmar or should I leave it on the border?

5. I have 2 pages in my passport left and would like to get pages extended after I go to Mae Sot, what do you think about this?

1. Would be in news if closed

2. In Mae Sot you exit Thailand, cross bridge, give your passport to Burma officer, pay 500b, they will ask you how long want stay, one day maybe possible but only in Myawaddy. (someone correct me on this?)

3. 15 days it is, no more

4. No idea

5. Mae Sot -Myawaddy takes half of page, four stamps, exit and entry for both

Ok so I am going to go to Mae Sot, it will be the easiest and then I will go to Laos. I want to make sure I understand everything so

If your riding a m/cycle from Kan to MS count on a long day in the saddle.

I would not advise taking it into Myawaddy as the paper work is a pain and you will not be able to ride outside of the town anyway.

In fact I would not even bother going any further into Myawaddy than the immigration booth as it's a dump with very little more on offer than already in Mae Sot.

Judging from my maps of that area it will be a VERY long day in the saddle. And, you better know where all the turns are or you can get lost if you don't read Thai signs. Besides that you get ONLY a 15 day permit before having to do it again. I would pay the extra money and fly somewhere from Bangkok and stay long enough to get a double entry tourist visa. That would give you 60 days before having to go out again, and another 60 days after that.

• 3 weeks later...

If you mean the border being closed nearest to Kanchanaburi, that is Sanglaburi, the border has been closed for over 2 and a half years and there are absolutely no real plans in the near future to open it, thats from the horses mouth/s both Thai and Burmese officials.

Sorry about that.

If you mean the border being closed nearest to Kanchanaburi, that is Sanglaburi, the border has been closed for over 2 and a half years and there are absolutely no real plans in the near future to open it, thats from the horses mouth/s both Thai and Burmese officials.

Sorry about that.

Sangkhla-buri Border Post has never ever been for Visa Runs as far as I know. It is only for trading between Thais and Burmese.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :)

I did a border hop at Mae Sot a couple of months ago and one of the Thai immigration officers there said that there is a plan to upgrade the Three Pagoda Pass crossing to International status sometime next year.

Make it a little easier for those doing visa hops in Kanchanaburi.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not advise taking it into Myawaddy as the paper work is a pain and you will not be able to ride outside of the town anyway.

In fact I would not even bother going any further into Myawaddy than the immigration booth as it's a dump with very little more on offer than already in Mae Sot.

For a senior member posting here and someone who has spent a lot of time in this part of the world, you could show a little more tact and at least know what the hel_l you're talking about when you call Myawaddy "a dump". Yes, most of the people are destitute and politically oppressed, but if you walked beyond the main street, there is stunning architecture, scenic views and mouth-watering eats all of which you'd be hard pressed to find in Mae Sot.

I know it's tempting to sound "in the know" on these boards, but try to show a little open-mindedness. I would assume that's what brought you to SEA in the first place.

For a senior member posting here and someone who has spent a lot of time in this part of the world, you could show a little more tact and at least know what the hel_l you're talking about when you call Myawaddy "a dump". Yes, most of the people are destitute and politically oppressed, but if you walked beyond the main street, there is stunning architecture, scenic views and mouth-watering eats all of which you'd be hard pressed to find in Mae Sot.

I know it's tempting to sound "in the know" on these boards, but try to show a little open-mindedness. I would assume that's what brought you to SEA in the first place.

I have been beyond the main street so know what I am talking about.

Your and my opinions obviously differ.

Everyone I have been there with, Thais and farang, couldn't wait to turn around and get back into Thailand.

Their opinions obviously differ from yours too.

This is not a comment on the people there who were mostly very friendly.