Kasikorn Now Charging 150 Baht Atm Fee

Every month I walk in to SCB (any branch) with my Visa Card and passport and withdraw between 70 and 150k baht without any charges levied at all. I also get a favourable rate in comparison to the published exchange rates. ie. If it says 52 baht to the pound I get 52.6 baht, and so on. I use a Nationwide visa debit card from the UK.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every month I walk in to SCB (any branch) with my Visa Card and passport and withdraw between 70 and 150k baht without any charges levied at all. I also get a favourable rate in comparison to the published exchange rates. ie. If it says 52 baht to the pound I get 52.6 baht, and so on. I use a Nationwide visa debit card from the UK.

This as been discussed before & SCB was found to be giving a low FX rate maybe some are just lucky but its weird the difference experience's people have with the same bank.

One if i remember was given only the cash rate as they classed is debit card as the same as a credit card & he lost a least a baht on the exchange.

I am told UOB does not charge and has a good exchange rate. Can anyone confirm this?

There haven't been a lot of user reports here about people dealing with UOB...and what has been said has been mixed and sometimes vague....

One thing I can say for certain. I tried to use a UOB ATM on Sunday with my U.S. MasterCard logo debit card, and the machine wouldn't take it... That, and I noticed, at least at the Silom Road ATM, there were no stickers on the ATM saying what network cards it would accept... (Plus, Star, Cirrus, etc). So MasterCard logo cards are a definite no-no for UOB...

I didn't try my U.S. Visa logo card with them, that day...

My HSBC Singapore Mastercard Electronic/Cirrus debit card works fine in UOB ATMs in Chiangmai, where I've been taking 30,000 THB per transaction with no 150 baht fee. I'll try it again today and post the exchange rate I get too. The ATM machine outside their branch on Huay Kaew Rd does have the Cirrus logo.

CMMCB

UOB ATMs accept UK VISA Debit ATM cards with no fee (for now!)

Today I tried GSB. With Master, Comunication error. Next to it was an ATM from Aeon. No charges, Don't know about the rate yet I wil inform after tomorrow. Carrefour at the 11th to Lampang.

Among the no 150 baht fee banks:

GSB only takes Visa, not MC

UOB takes Visa, MC and a variety of others

Ayudhya takes Visa and MC, but is doing dynamic currency conversion (which means lower exchange rates) when MCs are used with U.S. $ and Euro-based foreign cards/accounts. They give regular decent rates for Visa transactions, however. They also may not stay fee free for very long....

Today I tried GSB. With Master, Comunication error. Next to it was an ATM from Aeon. No charges, Don't know about the rate yet I wil inform after tomorrow. Carrefour at the 11th to Lampang.

Normal rate, better than SCB (46+) yesterday

Edited by cmjantje

It appears that your "home currency" is the euro, in which case your rate of exchange may not have been that good. You haven't mentioned at what time you made your transaction, but SCB were giving 47.07 THB/EUR (T/T) yesterday afternoon (from 14:32) and 47.0525 THB/EUR before that.

Could you please confirm my euro assumption and what exact rate of exchange that you got?

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

It appears that your "home currency" is the euro, in which case your rate of exchange may not have been that good. You haven't mentioned at what time you made your transaction, but SCB were giving 47.07 THB/EUR (T/T) yesterday afternoon (from 14:32) and 47.0525 THB/EUR before that.

Could you please confirm my euro assumption and what exact rate of exchange that you got?

/ Priceless

My bank does not charge but takes a percentage of the rate like most banks I think?? Besides that, SCB gave 46.85 yesterday which is about 20 satang less than my rate. So it is not That bad??

Edited by cmjantje

/ Priceless

My bank does not charge but takes a percentage of the rate like most banks I think?? Besides that, SCB gave 46.85 yesterday which is about 20 satang less than my rate. So it is not That bad??

I am sorry, but I do not really understand what you are saying. As I stated, SCB gave 47.xxx yesterday, xxx being somewhere between .005 and .12375, depending on time of day. I read your earlier post as saying that you got 46+ from GSB. I realize now that this was a misunderstanding, but to see if your rate was good or not, one would need to know both A/ what exact rate you got and B/ exactly at what time the transaction took place (SCB's rate changed 9 times yesterday).

Where you got the information "SCB gave 46.85 yesterday" I don't know :)

/ Priceless

Just to confirm, I did use my HSBC Singapore MC/Cirrus card again today at a UOB ATM (at around 13.50, in case anyone wants to look up exact exchange rates). Took out 30,000 baht. No local (150 baht) fee. Exchange rate worked out at 23.416461 after the HSBC fee (S$8) is subtracted, which compares pretty well with, for example...

SCB T/T rate = 23.31

UOB T/T rate = 23.296

CMMCB

I would use my HSBC Hong Kong ATM account at UOB, but it has a 6 digit PIN, and UOB only recognises 4 digits. Does HSBC Singapore only use 4 digit PINs?

Just to confirm, I did use my HSBC Singapore MC/Cirrus card again today at a UOB ATM (at around 13.50, in case anyone wants to look up exact exchange rates). Took out 30,000 baht. No local (150 baht) fee. Exchange rate worked out at 23.416461 after the HSBC fee (S$8) is subtracted, which compares pretty well with, for example...

SCB T/T rate = 23.31

UOB T/T rate = 23.296

CMMCB

I would use my HSBC Hong Kong ATM account at UOB, but it has a 6 digit PIN, and UOB only recognises 4 digits. Does HSBC Singapore only use 4 digit PINs?

FWIW SCB's rate (T/T) for the Singapore dollar (SGD) has been between 23.52 and 23.55 today. Where did you get the figure 23.31?

/ Priceless

MODS - There are now several different parallel threads running on the issue of the 150 baht ATM fees. All the discussion in this thread down is back on the general subject, and not particularly related to Kasikorn anymore, since their change of policy has now passed.

So... how about closing this thread, and letting the general posts on the ATM fee subject go to the ongoing threads with that as their stated subject. Right now, the same subject posts are getting spread over several different duplicate threads.

Just my two cents of a suggestion.

I am sorry, but I do not really understand what you are saying. As I stated, SCB gave 47.xxx yesterday, xxx being somewhere between .005 and .12375, depending on time of day. I read your earlier post as saying that you got 46+ from GSB. I realize now that this was a misunderstanding, but to see if your rate was good or not, one would need to know both A/ what exact rate you got and B/ exactly at what time the transaction took place (SCB's rate changed 9 times yesterday).

/ Priceless

From their site mr know it all better! http://www.scb.co.th/exchange/bk-txtexchange.htm

Next time you make statements better look it up twice!

By the way, I am only trying to help with names of banks that do Not charge and give a good rate. How many banks did you add?

[...]

From their site mr know it all better! http://www.scb.co.th/exchange/bk-txtexchange.htm

By the way, I am only trying to help with names of banks that do Not charge and give a good rate. How many banks did you add?

I am very sorry, but I am not trying to be Mr know-it-all, I just cannot for the life of me find the numbers that you claim. Since SCB is the bank I use myself, I am quite familiar with their currency page. As i pointed out in an earlier post, they published 9 different sets of exchange rates yesterday. I am not going to post all of them, but I'll post two covering the time from 08:41 to 15:25.

post-20094-1242999316_thumb.jpg post-20094-1242999337_thumb.jpg

I am again very sorry, but I am unable to see a T/T rate of 46.85 in any of them. What I have been trying to point out is that without giving exact facts about time for the transaction and rate of exchange, the information your posting is of very limited, if any, value. You still haven't given these facts, but you have chosen to argue (wrongly) with what I have posted.

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

We have my husband's US pension check deposited directly into Bangkok Bank's NY branch and they transfer it to our CM account. No fees, no wait. It's a private pension from a large US company and we just filled out a form online at that company's website to do this.

I understand you can do the same thing with a US Social Security check.

We use our US credit union Visa credit card for purchases at Tops, Rim Ping and Central and get a fantastic exchange rate. The payment for those charges are automatically deducted from our U.S. credit union account. So, with the direct deposit of the pension check and the Visa card, we haven't had to transfer any money to Thailand for months.

The Bangkok Bank manager at Kad Suan Kaew is very able to work with westerners and understands how to make these things happen.

We have my husband's US pension check deposited directly into Bangkok Bank's NY branch and they transfer it to our CM account. No fees, no wait. It's a private pension from a large US company and we just filled out a form online at that company's website to do this.

I understand you can do the same thing with a US Social Security check.

We use our US credit union Visa credit card for purchases at Tops, Rim Ping and Central and get a fantastic exchange rate. The payment for those charges are automatically deducted from our U.S. credit union account. So, with the direct deposit of the pension check and the Visa card, we haven't had to transfer any money to Thailand for months.

The Bangkok Bank manager at Kad Suan Kaew is very able to work with westerners and understands how to make these things happen.

Bang on! So glad to read a sensible posting!! The banking route is perhaps not feasible for everyone, but, thank you!

Absolutely no fees? Bangkok Bank New York doesn't charge anything -- nor the normal .25% fee at your Bangkok Bank in CM? (I'm assuming it's Bangkok Bank in CM....?)

Perhaps you have to keep a minimum balance of some kind in the New York bank?

Sorry for all the questions. I had been under the assumption that Bangkok Bank New York was a commercial bank that did not open personal accounts..... That they do -- and transfer money for free -- has a nice ring to it.

[...]

I am very sorry, but I am not trying to be Mr know-it-all, I just cannot for the life of me find the numbers that you claim. Since SCB is the bank I use myself, I am quite familiar with their currency page. As i pointed out in an earlier post, they published 9 different sets of exchange rates yesterday. I am not going to post all of them, but I'll post two covering the time from 08:41 to 15:25.

I am again very sorry, but I am unable to see a T/T rate of 46.85 in any of them. What I have been trying to point out is that without giving exact facts about time for the transaction and rate of exchange, the information your posting is of very limited, if any, value. You still haven't given these facts, but you have chosen to argue (wrongly) with what I have posted.

/ Priceless

I think you are looking at the selling rates while you must look at the buying one. I am sure you look at the same pages as I do?

As has been widely reported here and elsewhere, the BBK Bank Branch in New York does not "open" or host personal accounts. They only serve as an intermediary.

So, while anyone clearly could arrange for their U.S.-based pension check to be deposited to their BKK Bank account in Thailand via the New York office, using their ABA routing number there, BKK Bank most certainly would be charging the normal small handling fees both at the New York and Thailand end...

Though, in the context of a monthly pension check, the small amounts BKK Bank would be taking would not be particularly noticeable...

[...]

/ Priceless

I think you are looking at the selling rates while you must look at the buying one. I am sure you look at the same pages as I do?

As I've mentioned several times before, I am looking at the buying T/T rates, which are the ones used for ATM transactions. In the two examples I posted, they are 47.0525 and 47.07, respectively. I do now realize that in my second example there is in fact an exchange rate of 46.85, which is for buying traveller's cheques, of course completely irrelevant for an ATM transaction.

In an attempt to be absolutely clear, I'll post the four things that are needed to make a post about ATM experiences meaningful:

1/ The brand of card used - In your case MasterCard

2/ The company owning/operating the ATM - In your case Aeon

3/ The exact rate of exchange that you received - You've just posted "normal rate"

4/ The date and exact time of the transaction - You've only posted the date 21st May

For a reader of your post to judge if your deal is good or bad, both 3/ and 4/ above are needed. As I've mentioned in an earlier post, SCB published no less than nine (9) sets of exchange rates on 21st May! Just posting an arbitrary and/or irrelevant rate of exchange from another bank (SCB) only serves to obfuscate the matter.

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

[...]

/ Priceless

As I've mentioned several times before, I am looking at the buying T/T rates, which are the ones used for ATM transactions. In the two examples I posted, they are 47.0525 and 47.07, respectively. I do now realize that in my second example there is in fact an exchange rate of 46.85, which is for buying traveller's cheques, of course completely irrelevant for an ATM transaction.

In an attempt to be absolutely clear, I'll post the four things that are needed to make a post about ATM experiences meaningful:

1/ The brand of card used - In your case MasterCard

2/ The company owning/operating the ATM - In your case Aeon

3/ The exact rate of exchange that you received - You've just posted "normal rate"

4/ The date and exact time of the transaction - You've only posted the date 21st May

For a reader of your post to judge if your deal is good or bad, both 3/ and 4/ above are needed. As I've mentioned in an earlier post, SCB published no less than nine (9) sets of exchange rates on 21st May! Just posting an arbitrary and/or irrelevant rate of exchange from another bank (SCB) only serves to obfuscate the matter.

/ Priceless

And this one http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/...678/default.stm Almost new every 10 minutes. But I give up... You are right Priceless.

SCB T/T rate = 23.31

UOB T/T rate = 23.296

CMMCB

No, it has a 6-digit PIN and I've never had any problems using that.

CMMCB

SCB T/T rate = 23.31

UOB T/T rate = 23.296

CMMCB

FWIW SCB's rate (T/T) for the Singapore dollar (SGD) has been between 23.52 and 23.55 today. Where did you get the figure 23.31?

/ Priceless

From the respective banks' websites:

http://www.scb.co.th/html/exchange/bk-txtexchange.htm

http://www.uob.co.th/business/foreign-exchange-rates.htm

CMMCB

OK, I think we have covered the OP's original topic (Kasikorn Now Charging 150 B et al) quite sufficiently.

TBH, this thread should have always been in Banking, but the mods let it run for a bit as there was some Chiang Mai-specific info.

Moved to Banking, with a link remaining on the CM forum.

SCB T/T rate = 23.31

UOB T/T rate = 23.296

CMMCB

/ Priceless

From the respective banks' websites:

http://www.scb.co.th/html/exchange/bk-txtexchange.htm

http://www.uob.co.th/business/foreign-exchange-rates.htm

CMMCB

That's odd, I posted my question to samtam but it is answered by CMMCB. You're not using two nicks, are you :D

Anyway, if you look at the following capture from the SCB website ( http://www.scb.co.th/html/exchange/22052009_081500.htm ), in the column for "Buying T/T", which is the relevant one for ATM withdrawals, you'll find that the rate was 23.55, NOT 23.31.

post-20094-1243090114_thumb.jpg

Maybe your rate wasn't that good, after all :)

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

Hi Priceless,

No, just the one nickname (in my case; don't know about samtam), but you might be a bit confused by the stacked quotations.

I think it was only my post which mentioned an exchange rate, not samtams, so thought I should answer. Also, if you look at the original posting dates, I made my exchange on Weds 20th, not Friday 22nd, and the rates I gave were those given on the two banks' websites for the relevant time period. Hope that clarifies.

CMMCB

Edit: added the link below to the bank webpage:

http://www.scb.co.th/html/exchange/20052009_111700.htm

Edited by CMMCB

Hi Priceless,

No, just the one nickname (in my case; don't know about samtam), but you might be a bit confused by the stacked quotations.

I think it was only my post which mentioned an exchange rate, not samtams, so thought I should answer. Also, if you look at the original posting dates, I made my exchange on Weds 20th, not Friday 22nd, and the rates I gave were those given on the two banks' websites for the relevant time period. Hope that clarifies.

CMMCB

Edit: added the link below to the bank webpage:

http://www.scb.co.th/html/exchange/20052009_111700.htm

Just what on Earth are you talking about? Please look at my post (#55, the one immediately before yours) and you will find the sequence of posts that I was referring to. First you will find a post by (samtam @ 2009-05-22 12:42:30), then my reply and inquiry to him (Priceless @ 2009-05-22 17:53:01), then your reply to my inquiry (CMMCB @ 2009-05-23 16:23:50) and then my reply and inquiry to you (Yesterday, 2009-05-23 16:50:34).

I have not seen (or do not remember seeing) an earlier post of yours mentioning a rate of exchange, and have certainly not commented on it in this sequence of posts. If you thought I was commenting on something you had posted, I can only recommend that you read a post before replying to it.

/ Priceless

My apologies CMMCB. I can see now that "samtam" replied/quoted your post without indicating that it was a quote (i.e. did not use the Quote or Reply buttons). The only indication that the post was mostly just a copy was that your nick appeared in the middle of the post, and I missed that. Consequently, I had no way of knowing that the date for your rate of exchange was not the date of the post, in spite of the word "today".

Again, my apologies :):D:D

/ Priceless