Where Is The Best Ground Beef In Chiang Mai?

mnbcm

I know there's a lot of places to buy a good burger, but I've got my own special way of grilling and am looking for some good beef. I tried some from Rimping and Lotus and both were dry and below average in my opinion. Maybe some quality kwai wouldn't be so bad. :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there's a lot of places to buy a good burger, but I've got my own special way of grilling and am looking for some good beef. I tried some from Rimping and Lotus and both were dry and below average in my opinion. Maybe some quality kwai wouldn't be so bad. :)

take a few friends out to the pasture ...sneak up on a big fat cow with an axe,in this case the fatter the better, hack it and wack it with your axe completely removing one back leg....but please try hard to wack her in the head first ,maybe slit her throat so she bleeds out properly gets weak quickly and passes out with out much of a fight..... run from pasture... take home ,wack into thin slices,set up/clamp hand crank meat grinder to table and start cramming that fresh moo cow hing leg slices into manual meat hand crank grinder and keep cranking until you see a nice pile of now what is known as red bueger meat....

Ask the guys at the Rimping, near the TAT, to grind you some beef with more fat. What they normally sell is about 5% but you should ask for 15-20% fat.

I know there's a lot of places to buy a good burger, but I've got my own special way of grilling and am looking for some good beef. I tried some from Rimping and Lotus and both were dry and below average in my opinion. Maybe some quality kwai wouldn't be so bad. :D

take a few friends out to the pasture ...sneak up on a big fat cow with an axe,in this case the fatter the better, hack it and wack it with your axe completely removing one back leg....but please try hard to wack her in the head first ,maybe slit her throat so she bleeds out properly gets weak quickly and passes out with out much of a fight..... run from pasture... take home ,wack into thin slices,set up/clamp hand crank meat grinder to table and start cramming that fresh moo cow hing leg slices into manual meat hand crank grinder and keep cranking until you see a nice pile of now what is known as red bueger meat....

Vegetarians Unite! :)

Please don't eat those buegers...that's some baaad a_s stuff. :D

I have had good luck at the Rimping (Hangdong) branch. But it would be a tad better with more fat added for sure. I will try to get them to do so next trip in. They also have great pre-formed lamb burgers, if you like a variation in burger flavors. I know I love it once a month or so.

I have had good luck at the Rimping (Hangdong) branch. But it would be a tad better with more fat added for sure. I will try to get them to do so next trip in. They also have great pre-formed lamb burgers, if you like a variation in burger flavors. I know I love it once a month or so.

Correct. As already told, the beef should have at least 20% fat otherwise it is too dry. Also normal grounded beef is grounded too fine, the structure is too fine and the burger will bee hard and dry.

To resolve most problems with a dry burger you might try mixing the beef with an egg per 250 grams and two slices of old bread, mix together with your spices and you will have a very juicy burger.

Correct. As already told, the beef should have at least 20% fat otherwise it is too dry. Also normal grounded beef is grounded too fine, the structure is too fine and the burger will bee hard and dry.

To resolve most problems with a dry burger you might try mixing the beef with an egg per 250 grams and two slices of old bread, mix together with your spices and you will have a very juicy burger.

While adding egg and bread make for juicier, you will no longer have a burger but a meat loaf. Nothing wrong with a good meat loaf sandwich.

While adding egg and bread make for juicier, you will no longer have a burger but a meat loaf. Nothing wrong with a good meat loaf sandwich.

In my opinion meat loaf is a mixture from 50% pork or veal and 50% beef.

Edited by cmjantje

Northern farms is the best place for meat hands down.

Very True. Hamburger, beef steaks of all kinds, plus turkey, plus cheeses...and wines to accompany. Been going there for over a decade. They've shortened their name but the quality remains. A pleasant place to shop. Located on the south side of Huey Kaew Rd between the Rimcome and Phucome intersections. Their farm is opposite and just before the entrance to Prem school or whatever derivation of the name they use now.

Sure you can add pork, beef or both to meatloaf or hamburgers. Hamburgers with some pork are good, not Kosher, but good.

Northern Farm is also the supplier to Mike's Burger.

So Mike's is ruining them by cooking instead of frying? Or is there a change lately at Mike's?

I've been here 3 years and never had a burger I could finish. The taste is just a little too funky for me. God I miss the USDA

You haven't tried Northern Farm beef then. It's as close to USDA quality beef as I've found. Add some seasoning from home, throw it on the grill, and you'll hardly know the difference.

Frying IS (one form) of cooking. What do you mean?

"Boiling" better?

Steamed is probably more accurate. I had a burger at Mikes a few years ago, and watched them put the patty on the grill and immediately cover it. Remove the cover, flip, and cover again.

Steamed gray flannel - yuk... (Their chilli is ok, though. A little watery, but ok)

Back on topic - I get my burger and cheddar at Northern Farms.

My mother makes the best burger I have had - always tastes like steak. She gets ground chuck steak (I don't know what other cultures call it) - great flavour. And she does nothing to it - just some salt and pepper. She swears that the most important thing to a great burger is to not handle it or 'work' it much at all. Just gently form it and cook.

She'll order 10 lbs of fresh ground chuck - gently form it into patties and freeze.

I am home for the summer, and I am looking forward to her burgers (I am also looking forward to the fois-gras, trout-caviar, and lobster evening we have planned!).

Correct about too low fat content, as most ground beef is here will result in a dry burger, so I just go into the local market and choose my beef and have them grind it to my liking [2X thru the machine is good]. Then I do the same with some pork to add the extra fat needed for a juicy burger.

Thai beef, altho a little tough is much more tasty than western beef when it comes to flavor and I think one of the healthiest meats as it's only grass fed and no hormones, chems, antibiotics, etc........like chicken, pork that is factory raised and full of hormones, antibiotics and chems.