Where Is The Best Ground Beef In Chiang Mai?

mnbcm

At Rimping in the frozen section they have KU brand "hamburger" ground beef. It is pre-formed into nice thick patties and has plenty of fat content. Around 220 baht a kilo. This is the best I have found for making a good burger.

post-9892-1247396579_thumb.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct about too low fat content, as most ground beef is here will result in a dry burger, so I just go into the local market and choose my beef and have them grind it to my liking [2X thru the machine is good]. Then I do the same with some pork to add the extra fat needed for a juicy burger.

Thai beef, altho a little tough is much more tasty than western beef when it comes to flavor and I think one of the healthiest meats as it's only grass fed and no hormones, chems, antibiotics, etc........like chicken, pork that is factory raised and full of hormones, antibiotics and chems.

A new day a new burger thread :) I also prefer the low fat, tough, tasty local beef burgers. I never really liked the flavor of beef fat. For the juicy aspect I add a couple extra tomato slices.

• 2 years later...

TThere is a place (sorry forget it's name) on Canal Rd before 100 meters before light at Huai Keo Rd. It's on the left coming form Suthep Rd. direction. Lots of fresh meat and cuts such as flank steak, skirt steak etc. This place is the only meat I find to be acceptable quality for my American style BBQ's I make at home here. To get off subject a bit like many others, 15% fat, salt and pepper and pack tightly by hand to allow the fat to stay in the air pockets and dribble down one's chin. And grill which is the same is over fire, not on a flat top (griddle) where it actually fries. Try this place it, it changed my thoughts on the quality of meat available in Thailand!!!!

The place on the Irrigation Canal Rd is the 'Importer' for Thai French beef from Issan.

Good quality beef not USDA but then not USDA price either.

They have a list of places they supply on one wall, a good indiction of where decent food should be available.

I have always had pleasant service even for my small orders.

john

Our old maid with her husband have been living with us for the past 3 weeks due to their condo building being flooded. Just last night during dinner, we had suki and grill. Beef was on the menu. She said the best beef in Thailand is from Sakon Nakhon where she is from. She said places which pride themselves serving good beef usually have emblem of Sakon Nakhon. Does anybody know enough to verify this or have tried before?

We're not in Kansas (and they have great beef) anymore. I was told by the Executive Chef at the RR&B (Rib Room and Bar) in the Landmark Hotel in BKK that there is a law prohibiting importing the better grades of US beef so they could not serve prime grade cuts. The first thing I do when I go back the the States is buy a big steak! Then after a visit to Katz's for a hot pastrami I get back here as fast as I can.

Our old maid with her husband have been living with us for the past 3 weeks due to their condo building being flooded. Just last night during dinner, we had suki and grill. Beef was on the menu. She said the best beef in Thailand is from Sakon Nakhon where she is from. She said places which pride themselves serving good beef usually have emblem of Sakon Nakhon. Does anybody know enough to verify this or have tried before?

I don't know about that. Sakon Nakhon is famous for its cuts of dog meat.

Edited by elektrified

electrified, I thought Nakon Phanom is the place where they butcher dogs, though granted, it's not too far away.

According to her, Sakon is getting prosperous due partly to the quality of the beef from the cow raised there. She just sold 2 rai of the 5 that she had inherited. I asked why so expensive from my experience of reading in TV. She said the land is next to the main road and has govt electricity and water plus the aforementioned reason: raise good cow.

all the talks about the "Best" beef, but none about whether its grass fed or not, all the difference in the world whether its a healthy piece of meat or not. cattle, like people, ain't meant to eat the shit thats forcefed to them in factorys (grains)

We're not in Kansas (and they have great beef) anymore. I was told by the Executive Chef at the RR&B (Rib Room and Bar) in the Landmark Hotel in BKK that there is a law prohibiting importing the better grades of US beef so they could not serve prime grade cuts. The first thing I do when I go back the the States is buy a big steak! Then after a visit to Katz's for a hot pastrami I get back here as fast as I can.

I believe that about 90% of American beef is grown with steroids and this is usually the beef that is restricted. Plenty of good prime American beef around but more expensive and not trimmed well so there is a lower yield. Siam Foods (Horeca) and Superior both have great American beef. Australian beef is well trimmed and is the predominant prime beef in Thailand.

Thai French and KU beef are both good for burgers and some of the quality cuts can be very tender and delicious. On the canal road for Thai French and Rimping for KU. Rimping does a decent looking ground beef although I have not tried it.

Thanks, very informative from a source I trust (you serve a wicked good steak as we would say back in Boston). Are these places that sell American beef available retail anywhere around CM?

I believe that about 90% of American beef is grown with steroids and this is usually the beef that is restricted. Plenty of good prime American beef around but more expensive and not trimmed well so there is a lower yield. Siam Foods (Horeca) and Superior both have great American beef. Australian beef is well trimmed and is the predominant prime beef in Thailand.

Thai French and KU beef are both good for burgers and some of the quality cuts can be very tender and delicious. On the canal road for Thai French and Rimping for KU. Rimping does a decent looking ground beef although I have not tried it.

Thanks, very informative from a source I trust (you serve a wicked good steak as we would say back in Boston). Are these places that sell American beef available retail anywhere around CM?

Horeca is out on the superhighway and I believe that anyone can buy there. If they don't have it in stock you can probably get them to order it for you from Siam Foods. No one else is selling American beef.

I sell it once in a while as a special and I'll do it more often when I build a new BBQ in the kitchen. Next May.

best ground beef (sirloin) 150-gram patties are available at Sausage King.

I've tried Rimping, Northern Farm, Tops, etc. and Sausage King is my No. 1 pick, by far.

If you like the bugers at Chiang Mai Saloon, you will love Sausage King.

why is that?

I've tried Rimping, Northern Farm, Tops, etc. and Sausage King is my No. 1 pick, by far.

why is that?

Heh! heh! That's because Sausage King is distributer to Chiang Mai Saloons (2). The "bugers" are good, but the "burgers are better!

why is that?

Heh! heh! That's because Sausage King is distributer to Chiang Mai Saloons (2). The "bugers" are good, but the "burgers are better!

are you sure?

• 1 year later...
I know there's a lot of places to buy a good burger, but I've got my own special way of grilling and am looking for some good beef. I tried some from Rimping and Lotus and both were dry and below average in my opinion. Maybe some quality kwai wouldn't be so bad. smile.gif

take a few friends out to the pasture ...sneak up on a big fat cow with an axe,in this case the fatter the better, hack it and wack it with your axe completely removing one back leg....but please try hard to wack her in the head first ,maybe slit her throat so she bleeds out properly gets weak quickly and passes out with out much of a fight..... run from pasture... take home ,wack into thin slices,set up/clamp hand crank meat grinder to table and start cramming that fresh moo cow hing leg slices into manual meat hand crank grinder and keep cranking until you see a nice pile of now what is known as red bueger meat....

Disturbing post.

There's nothing better than a properly seasoned, juicy, grilled to perfection burger and a cold beer on a Sunday afternoon. mmmmmm beef smile.gif

Will a properly seasoned, juicy, grilled to perfection burger kill the taste of a cold beer on a Monday afternoon? Or is it a Sunday only thing like so,e people treat church?smile.png