Snakes

Putu94

There are 6 poison land snakes. If you hear someone call out Thai names:

1. งูจงอาง Ngu Jong-ang (King cobra)

2. งูเห่า Ngu Hao (Cobra)

3. งูกะปะ Ngu Ka-pa (The name has no meaning in Thai)

4. งูแมวเซา Ngu Maw-sao (Sleepy cat)

5. งูเขียวหางไหม้ Ngu Kaew-hang-mai (Burn tail green snake)

6. งูสามเหลี่ยม Ngu Sam-leam (Triangle snake)

Great story, Thongkorn. I can just imagine all the "Ooohs", and the mental picture gave me a good laugh. Thanks.

Unless you can make a positive identification it is best to give all snakes a wide berth and room to escape. I like snakes, but give them their space unless I'm taking photos. Even then you have to read the situation carefully. I've had more than a few dealings with venomous snakes and as much as I don't like killing them I have when they get into a domestic area such as a home or yard. I have been bitten a few times by non venomous snakes and once by a venomous Tiger snake in Tasmania. Fortunately, I was wearing waders at the time and the fangs only scratched my skin.

Snakes have very sharp, inward facing teeth. They can make a painful bite if they clamp down. Some species like pythons can be habituated to humans and remain docile most of the time, but you and never fully trust ANY wild creature.

Occurrence: The Golden Tree Snake is to be found throughout Thailand.

I will second that, Golden Tree Snake. If it is hanging around often then there is a good chance that you are seeing more than one and that there is a nest. I opened up a wall trying to get rid of one of these at the neighbors house. Inside the wall was a writhing mass of snake. A poke with a clothes hanger signaled them to all scatter at once. Nine were eventually removed from the house over the next few hours.

For your family.

They eat mice.

Not dangerous.

Don't like the floor so you won't step on them.

They are GOLDEN tree snakes, that makes them lucky and you would be symbolically taking gold away from your house. That can't be good.

Ok, Aforementioned snake has been granted reprieve. He has however been issued with a restraining order to remain minimum of 3 meters away from the back door, or he may be subject to further procedings, this is the best deal I could get for him.

thanks for the info posters!

To those of you who think snakes will always slither away if given the choice. Well, I can't speak for Thai snakes, but I've had a little experience (as a hiker) with snakes in the U.S. Twice I have come across rattlers who seemed to have no intention to attack, but they also had no intention of slithering away. They held their ground. Same twice or three times with copperheads. In fact, one copperhead came up to me apparently just out of curiosity. I also ran into an unknown snake out in Arches National Park that made absolutely no effort to attack AND no effort to move away.

Strictly a cultural difference. :)