Memories

longstebe

What was is it like for you the first time ever you stepped foot in LOS?

I'd never been to an asian country before.My older brother(by 3yrs)and his best mate came out here in 1999. I came out the following year with his best mate.

The heat hit me first.Wow,sweat straight away.All these asian faces looking at us both.I must have looked like a scared little boy(I think I was).Taxi Limo to Pattaya(typical I know).Then came the traffic,"what the hel_l is going on,were gonna die". Stopped on the way for some water and the toilet.I had to shout my mate to ask what the hel_l was going on but at the same time laughing my arse off.No bog roll.What a great holiday it ended up being.More to follow of course.......

You must have some good stories!!!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I came down the escalator from just behind immigration, I looked down into the baggage hall where there were two female Thai Airports staff standing face to face talking to each other.

Both were wearing the airport uniform - one the standard uniform, the other the 'I'm pregnant' version.

The woman wearing the standard version uniform was rubbing the 'bumb' of the preganant woman with both hands.

The pregnant woman was at same time squeezing the left tit of the non pregnant woman.

I remember thinking 'That's an odd thing to see"

I then cleared costoms and walked into the arrivals hall to be met by our company driver.

I distinctly remember thinking to myself 'Why is this idiot grinning all the time?'.

I first landed in Bangkok in late 1971. At that time, they used to collect you from the airplane, after disembarking using those old roll-up stairs, with articulated buses.

My first impression was that I had landed in a sauna! :)

I was just in time to experience my first Thai military coup. Thanom led a coup against his own government, followed less than 18 months later by the infamous massacre in October 1973.

i had a flight from japan where it was freezing. land at don meung and thought, is the plane on fire? never felt that kind of humid weather at midnight.... got in an illegal taxi who was probably drunk, he drove faster and more recklessly than i had ever driven before... finally made it to my hotel, saw the smile of the girl at the counter and i was sold.

Oh Yeah - das heat - mein Gott!!

Seriously - the babe at immigration & I just grinned at each other - I mean they really, really smile - I told her she was beautiful - she thanked me profusely & smiled some more - not the bekaakte stupid, insipid, false job you get from some honkey broad before she takes you down.

Then all those babes in the arrival hall hawking limo rides.

<deleted> - we went top drawer - got a case of ice cold Chang and hit Pattaya. We kept the limo, driver and babes for 2 days.

We had to rearrange our RTW trip three different times because we were having so much fun.

Yessiree - simply luv LOS - hope it gets better real soon - makes on a little sad for all those smiling Thais we all love so much.

BR>Jack

The heat. I thought that pool of perspiration was my d*ck melting before I could get to the hotel where I had a woman waiting for me already - courtesy of the internet :)

'<deleted> me it's hot'

Got dumped out on the tarmac and made to walk to an airport bus.

Same Same....I arrived at DM at 1 in the morning, put into a company car...drove for 2 hours...dropped at hotel.... woke up the next morning...opened the curtains..and thought <deleted> again..."jungle" all around...thinking <deleted> have I got myself into... :)

Imigration Lady " Good Morning Sir wellcome to Thailand"

Or was it "stand there" I Know it was one or the other

Then the touts " hellow where you go"

Then the Heat. Left the UK in March. 3c Bl***y Cold. Bangkok 36c

The thing I remember when I landed at BKK for the very first time was that for the first night of our 30 hour layover, my crew had made plans for all of us to go out to dinner at 'Cabbages and Condoms' and then after dinner us guys would split from the girls and head over to Patpong for a wild night on the town. Patpong was much wilder in those days and we partied well into the wee hours and had one hel_l of a night. It is interesting that the thing I most remember about that first night was the sight of a very distinguished looking and well dressed white haired old man in his 80's walking down the street holding hands with a very pretty girl in her late twenties and thinking to myself that someday this place might offer some amazing possibilities for me. In retrospect I now realize that what I really should have been thinking when I first arrived in Thailand is that this is the first day of the rest of a fantastic life and adventure that lies ahead . :)

The oppressive humid heat stepping out of the airport.

My first Mai Ow's to the hundreds on my short walk across the overhead to Budget Rental Cars. The relief of the air conditioner in their office.

Once they had pointed me in the direction to go to Khorat didn't see anything driving through the night.

As the hazy morning light broke to give me my first real views of Thailand I was about 50km short of Khorat. My first views were of the very early construction (about 2003?) of that huge magnificent temple on the northern side of the M2. Awesome. Went into the site to get a closer look and I was gob smacked. Remembering that this was just on daylight there was a big tent stall selling items and attended by about 12 stunning beautiful females (girls, teens and women) in white robes and perfectly groomed and that amazing welcoming smile. Right at that moment I was hooked.

What are those fools doing playing golf in the middle of the runway......................

Very funny. I may have been one of those fools.

For me, it was the smell. I loved it.

Oh yes the smell.Can't put my finger on it but I know exactly what you mean

The first time I set foot in Thailand was in 2001. I arrived by boat from Cambodia via Trat, after having just spent a week in China and a week in Cambodia. My first impression of Thailand was, this place is a lot more mellow than China and Cambodia! Then I arrived in Bangkok...

Edited by oevna

What are those fools doing playing golf in the middle of the runway......................

Same here. The smell of Bangkok. Weird. And every time I came back, it was the smell that made me think "I'm here at last."

I came after Hong Kong and Vietnam, so it was like this:

Hong Kong: Nice city but nothing to do here but shop, and there's some attactive women around.

Hanoi: Nice city and some interesting things, some really attractive women, but unbelievably hot and humid with no infrastructure. And relentless touts.

Bangkok: Taxi? Yes, I need one (and by the way if I had a phone and you weren't so out of my league I'd want your phone number.) 600 baht? What a bargain.

So I arrive at the Landmark Hotel, tip the driver 100 baht and thought he was going to kiss my feet. Very young guy so probably one of his first ever tips.

After check-in at reception, one of the women mistakes my nationality which I guess someone somewhere might take offense at. I'm not at all put off and laughing it off, but look up and she's waiing in apology. The other woman sees her and wais as well. So there's two attactive women waiing and I have no idea what to do. So I thank them and head off, all the while thinking "this is the way I should always be treated."

First time I arrived in Thailand was via a minivan to Hat Yai from Penang. While waiting for the train to Surat Thani, I got accosted by a monk who had spotted my Lonely Planet guide and was desperate to practice his English LOL. At least I can say I did my bit for Anglo-Thai relations! My mates thought it was a great laugh. :)

Once we''d made it to Lamai and hung out for a day or two, I was hooked...

First stepped foot in Thailand at Udon Thani -- March 2000.

Had an ice cold Heineken in my hand within two minutes of stepping off the plane.

In my hotel within 30 minutes.

In a sudsy within two hours.

Edited by Texpat

The heat, and I arrived at night. Thought it was like a sauna.

The smell. When we got out of the taxi at the hotel, there was "that bangkok smell" that blasted me in the nose. I'd never smelled anything like it.

Then the next morning waking up and opening my hotel window to seeing Bangkok. I don't quite know what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I saw. Perhaps in my mind Bangkok was supposed to look like Phenom Phen. Surprise!

That night my friends dad (lives here) took us to Patpong and sat me in a Katoey bar. I had NO idea what a katoey was and he bought drinks for a few of them, had some sitting in my lap. Then after an hour or so he asked me which one I wanted to take home to have sex with. I pointed one out. He then pulled me over and said, "Every girl you see in here is a man. Let this me the most important lesson to you while staying in Thailand, NOTHING is ever as it seems." I was horrified but remember his words and today, almost 11 years later, they still ring true.

Those are the things I first remember about Thailand. :)

Remember being picked up at Don Muang by my new boss and my two friends who were already here. We took a taxi to where I would be living and on the way he pointed out the girls working the street on Petchuburi Rd., as I had arrived after midnight. Those days (2003) there were just hundreds of girls on the street there in front of that one hotel, can't remember the name now, think at least near some place called Mona Lisa. Now, the police cleaned it up and that sight is now a thing of the past. Probably happily for some, but it's a little piece of Bangkok history you can't see anymore.

Remember being picked up at Don Muang by my new boss and my two friends who were already here. We took a taxi to where I would be living and on the way he pointed out the girls working the street on Petchuburi Rd., as I had arrived after midnight. Those days (2003) there were just hundreds of girls on the street there in front of that one hotel, can't remember the name now, think at least near some place called Mona Lisa. Now, the police cleaned it up and that sight is now a thing of the past. Probably happily for some, but it's a little piece of Bangkok history you can't see anymore.

They are still there,but instead of the front(or the coffee shop) they congregate around the back,alongside the railway tracks. :)

Oh, and its the Siam Hotel.

Same here. The smell of Bangkok. Weird. And every time I came back, it was the smell that made me think "I'm here at last."

Exactly.

I got off the airplane after a 17 hour flight from New York. When I left New York there was about 2 feet of snow and they had to deice the plane. So, yes by far the heat, it was like walking in to a brick wall.