How Does Car Insurance Work In Thailand?

JohnGotti

when I bought my car I paid an annual rate all at once for i believe 1st class insurance (or some wording like that)... Now, if I have a problem will my insurance go up for this year meaning I pay out more money, or is this year fixed meaning that any claims I make this year will only be looked at next year in terms of raising my cost of insurance.

Also, do you think its possible to get a copy of your insurance coverage in English... When I asked at the dealership, I got a few blank stares and then being the impatient person that I am, I just dropped it. thx.

Edited by JohnGotti

when I bought my car I paid an annual rate all at once for i believe 1st class insurance (or some wording like that)... Now, if I have a problem will my insurance go up for this year meaning I pay out more money, or is this year fixed meaning that any claims I make this year will only be looked at next year in terms of raising my cost of insurance.

Also, do you think its possible to get a copy of your insurance coverage in English... When I asked at the dealership, I got a few blank stares and then being the impatient person that I am, I just dropped it. thx.

I got my wife to translate what hopefully were the important bits...

Ist class insurance is what you would normally have on a new vehicle. Ok my example and same insurance company throughout. First year the garage paid 48,139baht. That year we had no claims so the next year we paid 38,344 baht, so some discount.

Unfortunately last year my wife spilt fish water over the carpets, someone scraped near the front light, I think a passing motorcycle. I made a little scrape on the front underneath and someone dropped something on the side of the roof, whilst it was parked, just about the window. Oh I almost forgot, she also backed into a tree even though the bleeper was crying! Believe it or not she has got a UK driving licence.

The fish water claim resulted in the carpets and seats out etc… garage had the car for nearly a week. When it came back we parked it with bowls of vinegar inside and then ground coffee…smell gone at last.

The other claims were all lumped together at the end of the year, the insurance company just said take it to the dealership. Whilst there they showed me a chip in the front windscreen and that was changed as well. So I think that the insurance company lost out that year. Renewal premium was 38779Baht. Apparently we got some reduction for ‘good record’!

Any help…

Thanks. All they gave me was this one single sheet of paper with personal info and account numbers, and no copy of the policy itself. i think they might have said that I am going to get it later on when I change the red plate. Not sure, 100%. I just took it as "Ok, standard insurance from Honda on a new car, whatever"...

Now, the insurance company is not Honda, but Viriyah. The Honda guy told me, any problems, just come to Honda and we will fix it for you. I am just wondering if he might have any ulterior motives for saying this. Wouldn't I have to check first with Viriyah first to find out where they want me to send my car for repair? Or is there already a deal in place with Honda for new car policies?

Thx.

Thanks. All they gave me was this one single sheet of paper with personal info and account numbers, and no copy of the policy itself. i think they might have said that I am going to get it later on when I change the red plate. Not sure, 100%. I just took it as "Ok, standard insurance from Honda on a new car, whatever"...

Now, the insurance company is not Honda, but Viriyah. The Honda guy told me, any problems, just come to Honda and we will fix it for you. I am just wondering if he might have any ulterior motives for saying this. Wouldn't I have to check first with Viriyah first to find out where they want me to send my car for repair? Or is there already a deal in place with Honda for new car policies?

Thx.

My wife tells me that we have agreed with the insurance company that any repairs will be carried out at the main dealers, apparently this is factored into the quote. Get your wife to discuss with the insurance company that you want this. On our 'info document' it is written in Thai after the policy number…to be repaired at the main dealers or something like that.

Yes the dealer seems to sort out everything with the insurance company. You tell the insurance company you have a dent, they say take the car to the dealer. You chat to the dealer and agree what you want doing. The dealer then agrees work/price with the insurance company. Any problems he should contact you.

Different if you have an accident then don’t move the car..call the insurance company.

Just don’t sign if you are not satisfied with the repair. If the car is maybe 4-5 years old then the small print will say, we can use 2nd hand parts..so read the small print.

Ist class insurance is what you would normally have on a new vehicle. Ok my example and same insurance company throughout. First year the garage paid 48,139baht. That year we had no claims so the next year we paid 38,344 baht, so some discount.

John may I ask if you drive a rolls royce or something similar?

Reason I ask that for years my first class insurance premium with 0 baht own risk for toyota vios and yaris has been around 15000 baht.

Since this year I drive a colorado and now the premium is 19000 baht because the car is more expensive.

Reason I ask that for years my first class insurance premium with 0 baht own risk for toyota vios and yaris has been around 15000 baht.

Since this year I drive a colorado and now the premium is 19000 baht because the car is more expensive.

520d

520d

I rest my case.

p.s: you like to swap cars from time to time,my colorado also has alu wheels. :)

So with first class insurance one should not expect to ever have to pay for any damages that are less than 80% of the car's value, correct?

I see some threads that go along with this theory and then other posts like this one:

"My truck was recently in a fender bender and the insurance agent is asking me to pay for the worn out parts that got damaged. I have 1st class insurance with no deductable but he wants me to go 50/50 on some parts. I find a couple quite questionable particular something to do with the steering (from what I could translate) that is about 25,000 baht to replace. I'm not sure what my options are or even if I have one. Anyone have experience on how this works in Thailand? I have not had this issue before but perhaps that had to do with the newness and warranty still in effect during a previous incident."

So with first class insurance one should not expect to ever have to pay for any damages that are less than 80% of the car's value, correct?

I see some threads that go along with this theory and then other posts like this one:

"My truck was recently in a fender bender and the insurance agent is asking me to pay for the worn out parts that got damaged. I have 1st class insurance with no deductable but he wants me to go 50/50 on some parts. I find a couple quite questionable particular something to do with the steering (from what I could translate) that is about 25,000 baht to replace. I'm not sure what my options are or even if I have one. Anyone have experience on how this works in Thailand? I have not had this issue before but perhaps that had to do with the newness and warranty still in effect during a previous incident."

I can't help you on the first question.

On an older car, so my wife says and it apparently depends how old, they can ask you to pay something towards 2nd hand parts.

One thing that many fail to understand is that there is a limit to how much the insurance company will pay out...if you hit something very expensive to mend you could be asked to pay the difference. On my wifes old car we opted for an extra one million bhat cover...how her daughter got a licence I'll never know!