Professional Architecture Firm In Chiang Mai

brennanstimpy

I am looking to start an innovative business here in Chiang Mai that is in need of good architects for the building. Does anyone know of a firm that is reliable and professional with a respectable portfolio, not just a bunch of haw paks preferably? If you do have any info, do you have price info as well? I'm sure most of it is case by case, but thought I would ask.

There are some very good architects in Chiang Mai. I am sure you can find them. Sounds antediluvian, I know, but the phone book is a better place to start than here. Phone and meet.

Wow. I have been here for three years and have never even seen a phone book.

Alot depends on what you are wanting to have designed. Yes there are some excellent architects in Chiang Mai and have designed some beautiful homes and buildings. Their way may be different to Europe or the USA but they still produce good results. National architects association fees is around 7% here. Some charge 10% as I mentioned in a previous thread. 5% is fair and most expats are happy to pay this. If of course they are serious and they are looking for someone professional. The Cheap charlies and tyre kickers just waste everybodies time here including the architects. Idiots trying to get it for 50,000 baht or 2%. If you go that route you will only get bad design and problems. No one of any calibre will do it for that. I would and have paid 5%. Got good results too. 2 houses later can't be bad.

Some builders have architects on board which can be good as you get the architect controlled by someone who knows the construction industry here. But you don't have to go that route but often saves money. It is essential to use a professional builder or you will have nothing but headaches and distaster after disaster. Read the horror stories on the net. From my exprience best builders in Chiang Mai are Kensington by a long shot. Their web site is chiangmaibuilders.com Good honest guys who know the construction industry very well both here and in Europe. They will end up saving you money and so much hassle and problems. I used them and they did a great job for me.

As for architects you could try Mac who advertises in the classified section of this web site. I used him two times and he was dead straight, friendly and did a very good job for me at a fair price.

Thats my a tips from living here along time and having built several homes. If you are looking for cheap cheap cheap, then in my experience you will get exactly that and all the problems associated with it. The above people are fair, reasonably priced and honest.

Hope it helps you. Remember you are under no obligation if you check these guys out anyways. So try and see. I know alot of successful expats and professional people use Kensington. Mac is okay too and nice person. Alot depends on what you want designed....house, commercial, residential etc ? Good luck with your business.

I am looking to start an innovative business here in Chiang Mai that is in need of good architects for the building. Does anyone know of a firm that is reliable and professional with a respectable portfolio, not just a bunch of haw paks preferably? If you do have any info, do you have price info as well? I'm sure most of it is case by case, but thought I would ask.
Edited by Gold2005

As for architects you could try Mac who advertises in the classified section of this web site. I used him two times and he was dead straight, friendly and did a very good job for me at a fair price.

Are "Mac" and "Kensington" associated/linked to each other?

Hi.....answers to your questions:

I met Kensington when looking for a decent company to build my home. I had been recommended by another expat who had used them. They built her home. Nice English guys running a decent company. They have a very good reputation both in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. Nothing is ever too much trouble and they were very giving of their time . Very helpful and very knowledgeable. One of them has been building for around 20 years so knows his stuff very well indeed. My friend in Chiang Mai introduced me to Mac. Infact the guys at Kensington knew Mac and had worked with him before. They also said good things about him. He is their chosen architect of preference, I think is what they said. But like most architects and builders naturally they know each other. Apparently if they get a customer who is looking for an architect Mac works with them. Albeit they do work with others. From my experience I can not fault the lads. They were a breath of fresh air and gave me the confidence to know things would be done properly and any problems they would resolve. It was also good to have someone who knew what they were doing working with the architect as he kept control and made productive suggestions when needed. Personally I would always work with a foreigner and Thai. If you are looking for quality one needs that re-assurance from experienced construction guy back home project managing for you and checking works. They have all their own workers, foremen and crafts people. Good team.

I can only speak as I find and the guys were great. Price was reasonable. Not cheapest but not the most expensive either. But from my mind worth every baht as I did not fall victim like so many here, to all the terrible problems, hassles and bad construction quality, so many do. I was not here in Thailand for the majority of the build and I could leave them to get on with it. I gave them complete trust and they respected it. Try them if you are looking for help. It costs you nothing to meet and talk. good luck.

Edited by Gold2005

• 1 year later...

My boyfriend owns his own architecture firm. It is based out of Bangkok, but he spends most of his time in Chiang Mai. It is an architecture and interior design firm. He has structural and electrical engineers, as well as reliable contractors. He mainly deals with the elite Thai in Bangkok, so his list of work is quite extensive. He is currently working on a golf club house as well as a resort, but can design houses and condos too. I'm happy to provide more info. if you would like!

Ana