Which Bank To Choose For Opening Bank Acc?

Hey guys,

I need your advise for opening a bank account here in Bankgok.

Arrived a couple of days ago in Thailand and thinking about getting me an account.

What exactly are the positive sides of having a Thai Bank account? Is it really needed or just a gimmick?

Are Bank accounts free of charge or do I have to pay an opening fee and/or monthly fee?

Can I get a credit card or just a prepaid credit card?

What are your recommendations or thoughts?

Have a great day

Read through this forum there are lots of threads about the pros and cons of a local bank account as well as the problems some people have encountered with getting one.

As for a local account being a gimmick, well I'm not really sure what you mean, if you are going to live in Thailand then of course it makes sense, if you are visiting then I personally wouldn't bother. Don't think any banks make charges but you will only get a savings account with minimal interest, but that can come with a visa debit card and internet banking.

As for credit cards, very difficult if you don't have a work permit, and even then can be difficult.

I bank with Kasikorn who I have found to be very efficient and user friendly, but everyone will have their own experiences and favourites.

Considering the problems some pposters have had opening accounts in banks that want Work Permits to be produced I'd say the best bank to choose is the one that will actually allow you to open one.

Kasikorn is usually the most laid back with requirements, 500 Baht and a copy of your passport works.

Another vote for Kasikorn.

They all have their quirks. Especially if you compare them to western banks.

For example, yesterday I went in to my local Kasikorn bank because someone bought a bicycle from me and paid by a check from Bangkok bank.

1st they said: you need an account to deposit that into and must wait 7 days.

I said, no problem, i have 4 accounts here (one savings, 2 fixed accounts, one being for my son, but in my name, and one in US dollars only account)

They said: No, none of those accounts will work because the savings account is the only one we can use for this and you opened that account 8 years ago in Patong, so must go there to deposit it.

I said: Oh c'mon, i've been coming here for 5 years and do everything else here.

They said: You'll have to open another account then So i did. No i have 5

I had to deposit 500 baht and didn't bother getting an ATM card which would've cost another 300 baht. (the 500 is only a deposit but the 300 baht ATM fee goes to them)

So, now i'll wait 7 days till the money gets in there, and then cancel the account.

Someone then told me afterwards that they get 100 baht for opening new accounts so that's why they will easily open one for you.

Just need your passport and the 500 baht minimum deposit for the savings account.

Good luck.