Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

2. 173

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

3. 73

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

4. 2

Afghan Man charged with Election day terror plot

5. 1

Double-Ten Retailer Promotions: 10-10 is a Chinese Holiday. So, why is this big DEAL here?

6. 0

93-Year-Old Woman Crawls into Sakae Krang River & is Missing While Daughter Sleeps

7. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

8. 25

9. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

10. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

11. 1

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

12. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

13. 25

Who Here Rides A Small Motorbike/scooter?

I am in need of some transportation to take me to university and back without paying for taxis or getting stuck in a bus, so I was thinkin a bike would be the solution.

But I am a little vary of buying one of those small scooters. I am 188 cm tall and they just feel to small for a big farang. I tried finding a used off-road bike such as a platinum but the price hasnt been right so far (if you have one for 10-20K let me know).

I may have to buy a scooter now though, so how about some recommendations?

I am in need of some transportation to take me to university and back without paying for taxis or getting stuck in a bus, so I was thinkin a bike would be the solution.

But I am a little vary of buying one of those small scooters. I am 188 cm tall and they just feel to small for a big farang. I tried finding a used off-road bike such as a platinum but the price hasnt been right so far (if you have one for 10-20K let me know).

I may have to buy a scooter now though, so how about some recommendations?

What university, how far each way, what roads on the route? How much do you weigh? In shape, out of shape?

regards,

John

I live in Bangkok and occasionally ride my Nouvo. It's OK, but I prefer riding my geared bikes in Bangkok for some reason (probably for the extra engine breaking in dense traffic?) not sure why just feel more comfortable on them.

I put about 17000 kms on the Nouvo while living in Phuket, they're good reliable bikes and can pull large/heavy farang no problem, I rode Phuket to Trang on mine with the girlfriend on the back no problems, but in Bangkok if I was buying again I'd prefer a scooter with gears and a clutch, something like a Sonic (Honda) or a Raider (Suzuki). If you increase your budget to 30k you could get quite a nice one.

If you're worried about size I think the Nouvo is the biggest of the autos.

I am going from Phra Kanong to Ramkhamhaeng.

I see most of you recommend the Nuevo.

The Sonic or Airblade but those things look small when I've seen them. They are fast though.

But if I am spending 25-30K I may as well get a Platinum and get a real bike.

I may as well get a Platinum and get a real bike.

Depends on your definition of a "real" bike. For me Platinums don't fall in that category - more in the "pile of crap" category actually!

I think your budget is too small to allow much choice - if you can't afford more than 10 - 20k i would say hold onto your money and wait until you have saved some more.

Depends on your definition of a "real" bike. For me Platinums don't fall in that category - more in the "pile of crap" category actually!

I think your budget is too small to allow much choice - if you can't afford more than 10 - 20k i would say hold onto your money and wait until you have saved some more.

So whats realistic in that budget? Used Sonic/Nuevo?

15k should get you a Mark1 Nuovo. 20k a Mark 2 introdused 2005? or late 2004?. More legroom, more enginepower (different carb) and looks better with twin headlights

15k should get you a Mark1 Nuovo. 20k a Mark 2 introdused 2005? or late 2004?. More legroom, more enginepower (different carb) and looks better with twin headlights

Ok, can I get a sonic/raider at that price?

I am going from Phra Kanong to Ramkhamhaeng.

I see most of you recommend the Nuevo.

The Sonic or Airblade but those things look small when I've seen them. They are fast though.

But if I am spending 25-30K I may as well get a Platinum and get a real bike.

Agreed, I am only 5"11 and can barely touch the floor with my toes on my Platinum 175, a good size bike.

• 1 month later...
Ok, can I get a sonic/raider at that price?

Sonics seem to be cheaper than Nouvos since the Thai's seem to hold automatics in higher esteem but I'm not sure why you'd want a sonic, they are much smaller and I think taller riders would find them very cramped indeed. I would consider a Nouvo or CBR150 if you want a manual.

I bought a 3 year old nouvo with < 10k on the clock for 23k Baht and use it every day to commute. I would say the Nouvo is more comfortable than the Honda Click and on par with the Airblade, although the larger wheels make the Nouvo a no brainer for me.

I live in Bangkok and have a Nouvo Elegance 135cc, and a Ninja 250, and I would highly recommend the Nouvo... I'm 6'2 and its a comfortable ride and decent power for a larger person. It is easy to get around traffic and parking is no problem. I bought the Ninja thinking that I would sell the Nouvo, but have found myself using it way more just because it is so easy to get around Bangkok.

Mr Hammer,

I'm not too sure how heavy you are, but I don't think either the sonic or the raider is the way to go, if your above say 85 to 90kg, plus as others have said, you might find yourself a little cramped on them, due to your height. I have both the sonic and the raider at the house here, the raider is the slightly bigger of the two (but lighter), but I find them both to be a real pain in the backside when the weight starts to get up there, the seat & suspension just isnt quite up to it, especially if the roads are crappy around your way & I'm betting they are.

I hate the autos, but they seem to have slightly wider seats & therefore more comfort, although their suspension doesnt seem any better.

To answer your question regarding price, you should be able to pick up a sonic for around the 20k price easily, however the raiders are much harder to come by.

Edited by neverdie

I had a wave 125 manual and im 185cm tall and I did fine. I am only 20 so I dont worry about comfort issues yet though. Drove it every day accross Bangkok. At the time I was doing Phrakanong to Mochit via Ratchadapisek. I am only 160 pounds though. Not sure with kilograms. After I sold it for a cbr 150 and the cbr was obviously better and I felt more comfortable on it.

But for transportation the little wave was just fine, and i picked it up for 15k. I sold it for 12k. LoL