Residents In 29 Provinces Nationwide Warned Of Flashfloods And Inundation During May 22-25

Jai Dee

Residents in 29 provinces nationwide warned of flashfloods and inundation during May 22-25

The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department warns people residing in the risky areas around hillsides and low lands close to the rivers in 29 provinces. Residents are urged to be aware of flash floods and inundation during 22 - 29 May 2009.

An announcement of the Department notified people in risky areas near hillsides and low lands close to the rivers in 29 provinces including Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Roi Et, Maha Sarakham, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Loei, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Tak, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Uttaradit, Chiang Mai, Lumpang, Lumphun,Mae Hong Son, Chiang Rai, Ranong, Phangnga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang and Satun provinces.

Residents living in the areas around hillsides and low lands near rivers in the mentioned provinces had been urged to closely follow the weather forecast and be aware of flash floods and inundation during 22 - 25 May 2009.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2009-05-22

Spoke to my friend in Bangkok earlier - he said it's HOT and WET. This seems like an annual problem in Thailand. Is anything done? Or just money to fix the problem ends up in someone's pocket? My sympathy to anybody flooded out of home - we have the same problem in SE Queensland now.

Peter

Hi :)

I went to visit someone in Patthanakan Soi 65 yesterday and when it started pissing, within 5 minutes (no joke!!) every single road in the area was about 10-15cm's deep flooded. He explained to me it's every time like that as soon as it rains, the water comes up from the drains instead of going down into them. There you REALLY need a boat.

Regards.....

Thanh

PS i still remember going home one evening last year, through Sukhumvit... where the water reached the cylinder head of my motorbike and when it finally stalled with the carb full of water it was well over knee deep. Never seen it worse than that day. But the road was so free! Only the right-most lane was packed with stalled cars....... and a few were scattered around, having floated off when it got too deep. I made it home after draining the carb twice, with the gear box full of water.

When a lot of water comes, no matter where it is, it will have its affects... Nature's way.

Is it the work of the present govt to 'make rain' and drench those poor innocent red shirt gathering at their rallies again? :)

Sounds rather bad that this advance infos will dampen their spirits! :D

Hi :)

I went to visit someone in Patthanakan Soi 65 yesterday and when it started pissing, within 5 minutes (no joke!!) every single road in the area was about 10-15cm's deep flooded. He explained to me it's every time like that as soon as it rains, the water comes up from the drains instead of going down into them. There you REALLY need a boat.

Regards.....

Thanh

PS i still remember going home one evening last year, through Sukhumvit... where the water reached the cylinder head of my motorbike and when it finally stalled with the carb full of water it was well over knee deep. Never seen it worse than that day. But the road was so free! Only the right-most lane was packed with stalled cars....... and a few were scattered around, having floated off when it got too deep. I made it home after draining the carb twice, with the gear box full of water.

This is a misunderstanding. People do not seem to now Bangkok at all. All those roads are build over klongs. So when it is raining the Klong water rises and comes out, it has nothing to do with drains. Till thirty years ago Bangkok was made up of waterways not clogged roads.

Hi :D

Regards.....

Thanh

This is a misunderstanding. People do not seem to now Bangkok at all. All those roads are build over klongs. So when it is raining the Klong water rises and comes out, it has nothing to do with drains. Till thirty years ago Bangkok was made up of waterways not clogged roads.

The flooding is almost unavoidable due to the fact most of the streets are at sea level in Bangkok or marginally above. Then we have the resealing of the roads. Asphalt is quite often rising up to the grates on the kerb - even if they were not already blocked with broken concrete and rubbish. So the water drains inwards to road centre. But the laughing matter is where roads have been broken up by heavy trucks (Soi Sahakarn Pramoon) near the Laos Embassy comes to mind where ItalThai and two other construction companies run tri-axle trucks overloaded way past their load limits. Concrete trucks running up and down the streets and thinking - to do the right thing - they will dump a bit of left-over and without spreading it or levelling - leave piled stubble to sink at will. Needless to say - water has no chance to get away as they cover the drains. Building codes are virtually non existent or at least, adhered to in Thailand and the same applies to roads. How hard is it to 'shoot-some-levels', use a bit of common sense and have the water drain to grates that are not blocked. Asoke Rd is a great example of a 'cover up - with drains there as cosmetics only!

Rain on - wet season! :)

not a drop up here in northernmost Thailand at this time (the sky is not falling yet).

However, each May we get one day with near hurricane force winds. Even cars pull over, because of extreme wind and horizontal rain - and you probably know how reluctant Thai drivers are to slow down or stop for any reason.

Indeed, I slowed to allow an ancient guy to cross the road today (fair weather), and not one, but two vans quickly pulled around and floored it past me (on a narrow road) - forcing the old guy to limp as fast as he could to get out of the way. The Van drivers saw the guy plain as day, as I drive a low profile vehicle.

I felt guilty for stopping and motioning for him to cross the road, as I could have unwittingly caused him harm by enabling callous drivers to hit him.

Even being courteous can possibly cause troubles here in a land where courtesy is tightly defined - and anything outside the well-known parameters - is act-as-rudely/selfishly as you want. Big question: Are the people who act rudely cognizant of their rudeness? I guess the first sentence of this paragraph answers that question.

Spoke to my friend in Bangkok earlier - he said it's HOT and WET. This seems like an annual problem in Thailand. Is anything done? Or just money to fix the problem ends up in someone's pocket? My sympathy to anybody flooded out of home - we have the same problem in SE Queensland now.

Peter

It used to be much much worse. The water would be thigh deep over huge areas of Bangkok.

I think they have really improved the storm drain system and my understanding is that only when water hitting the city meets a high tide is there wide spread flooding.

Whereas before, any heavy rain would mean a couple of feet of standing water.

Used to wade up and down Sukhumvit all the time looking out for live electrical wires and uncovered storm drains trying to suck you in.

Is it the work of the present govt to 'make rain' and drench those poor innocent red shirt gathering at their rallies again? :)

I hope this subject will not be linked to Khun Thaksin :D

not a drop up here in northernmost Thailand at this time (the sky is not falling yet).

However, each May we get one day with near hurricane force winds. Even cars pull over, because of extreme wind and horizontal rain - and you probably know how reluctant Thai drivers are to slow down or stop for any reason.

Indeed, I slowed to allow an ancient guy to cross the road today (fair weather), and not one, but two vans quickly pulled around and floored it past me (on a narrow road) - forcing the old guy to limp as fast as he could to get out of the way. The Van drivers saw the guy plain as day, as I drive a low profile vehicle.

I felt guilty for stopping and motioning for him to cross the road, as I could have unwittingly caused him harm by enabling callous drivers to hit him.

Even being courteous can possibly cause troubles here in a land where courtesy is tightly defined - and anything outside the well-known parameters - is act-as-rudely/selfishly as you want. Big question: Are the people who act rudely cognizant of their rudeness? I guess the first sentence of this paragraph answers that question.

Ha Ha lol Glad its not just me, I stopped to let an old lady cross the road in Khon Kaen and MY MRS gave me a rollicking for stopping and the drivers of the cars behind me were also furious, ha ha un bloody believable :)

wrecker is right, just found an old pic of sukhumvit 30 years ago :)

arialview_4.jpg

I ve been in Bkk 1975 for the first time and there where a lot of Klongs everywhere.......and nice quiet traffic

Anybody here got more old Bkk Pics, I know its off topic, but hard to find some

Peter

It used to be much much worse. The water would be thigh deep over huge areas of Bangkok.

I think they have really improved the storm drain system and my understanding is that only when water hitting the city meets a high tide is there wide spread flooding.

Whereas before, any heavy rain would mean a couple of feet of standing water.

Used to wade up and down Sukhumvit all the time looking out for live electrical wires and uncovered storm drains trying to suck you in.

Not to mention the rats swimming for high ground. Things have improved markedly since then.

I hope this subject will not be linked to Khun Thaksin :D

Why you try to make every topic about Mr Thaksin ?

We know that you are a supporter of Mr Thaksin.

Let him have his retirement days in Liberia.

It's funny that the weather report mentioned the northern provinces... I am in Lampang and the weather over the last couple of days has been as hot as at any time this year and there hasn't been a spot of rain. The reports does mention from the 22nd (today, Friday) so I guess I will have to watch out !!!

Personally, I say "bring it on"... the drop in temperature and the night time thunderstorms make the rainy season very enjoyable (for me at least).

Cheers,

I seem to remember reading somewhere that over 30% of Bangkok is already below sea level, so it's actually quite an acievement to keep Bangkok as dry as it is! Roll on global warming and a tad of sea level rise! Bangkok won't be alone in trouble then - London for one will be in deep .... I mean water.

Chris

Peter

Anyone know where the authorities can buy a second hand weather machine?   :)

Peter

Come one, what on earth could money do to fix this problem?! How about you come up with a solution before claiming that there is money paid for some mystical thing to stop the rain, money may fix this problem in lalaland but not in the real world.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that over 30% of Bangkok is already below sea level, so it's actually quite an acievement to keep Bangkok as dry as it is! Roll on global warming and a tad of sea level rise! Bangkok won't be alone in trouble then - London for one will be in deep .... I mean water.

Chris

There is cities all over the world that are below sea level... what you got to take into consideration here is displacement of water... should the sea level "rise" then it will take up more land, more land means more area for the water to go, which again means much less raising of the sea level then you'd think. Example, if the ocean rises by a meter, you would have to put a meter of water on top of the entire ocean, plus the entire surface bordering the ocean that is below that mark... even with all the ice melting, every river emptying itself, every lake being emptied out and every cloud putting it's water in as well, it would be simply impossible as it is not enough water to do that. If this would/could really happen, it would never reach London as there is Land between the ocean and London that is higher than a meter above sea level.

Edited by jbhh

There is cities all over the world that are below sea level... what you got to take into consideration here is displacement of water... should the sea level "rise" then it will take up more land, more land means more area for the water to go, which again means much less raising of the sea level then you'd think. Example, if the ocean rises by a meter, you would have to put a meter of water on top of the entire ocean, plus the entire surface bordering the ocean that is below that mark... even with all the ice melting, every river emptying itself, every lake being emptied out and every cloud putting it's water in as well, it would be simply impossible as it is not enough water to do that. If this would/could really happen, it would never reach London as there is Land between the ocean and London that is higher than a meter above sea level.

When reading this .. Imagine that the poster has a German accent .. has a big moustache and a white lab coat. .... it's more funnier then!!  :)