Annoying Maxnet Popups

goforit

For the past couple of days, whenever I open my browser I have been getting these annoying MaxNet Movie Buffet pop-ups appearing in the upper left hand side of my screen.

Am I the only one getting this or are there other MaxNet users having the same problem?

For the past couple of days, whenever I open my browser I have been getting these annoying MaxNet Movie Buffet pop-ups appearing in the upper left hand side of my screen.

Am I the only one getting this or are there other MaxNet users having the same problem?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Goforit

I've never seen these. Using MaxNet for three years or so (using the term "using" here to also mean "being abused by").

regards, ~o:37;

I've never seen them either, but what I hate is this new huge advertising banner on Thaivisa advertising a law firm - McKenzie or something like that. It drops down and covers the subjects in the forum. It is like 300% larger than any other ads on here. I've never seen another one drop down and cover 30% of the page.

I'm getting them too whenever I open my Hotmail. My pop-up blocker on Firefox shows me who's being blocked whenever it's activated. It's Maxnet Movie Buffet.

Tacky!

I'm not on Maxnet, but I am finding that google is hijacked, as well as hotmail. Every time I want to go to google, apopup gets blocked and then the Thai site comes up. I press 'Google.com in English', it points to a link google.com/ncr, which then redirects to maxnet/moviebuffet. I think this started today the 29th, though I wasn't doing much yesterday thae 28th, so it could be earlier. My supplier is planet Internet, but I don't think it is anything to do with them. I switched off the popup blocker to see what was going on. It appears to be browser independant. Am currently running a full virus scan, but it looks more like someone is playing games.

Edited by korkenzieher

If your web searches get redirected, it could be a good idea to run a virus scan. Your computer could be infected.

To see if you have the latest virus, Gumblar, press the START button, then choose Run, and in the box that shows, type: cmd and then press OK.

If you don't get a black window, you have been infected by malware and should clean your computer.

More on Gumblar:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/...-google-malware

I'm getting this too. When I go to english google, I get redirected to google.co.th and the moviebuffet maxnet add pops up. I can't go to the english google at all. Can't acces google calendar either. I don't think it's a virus, though I'm scanning. It was fine this morning before I went out. Came back and it was like this.

Edited by hellavagi

If your web searches get redirected, it could be a good idea to run a virus scan. Your computer could be infected.

This is not a virus. Maxnet is shaping internet traffic. See this post:

thaivisa.com/forum/Google-Hijacked-t269138.html

This is not a virus. Maxnet is shaping internet traffic. See this post:

thaivisa.com/forum/Google-Hijacked-t269138.html

Thanks for the clarification. I stand corrected. :) Still, the general advice is still true, there is more than one type of malware that redirects Google searches.

That MaxNet thinks it's a good idea to emulate this tactic to spam advertise to their customers just shows yet again what a Mickey Mouse approach they have to business. Time to up their game before they lose their customer base completely.

I just experienced this tonight.

Had a pop up blocked from movie.buffet.

Then on a subsequent move to google had everything switched to Thai.

Went to preferences, and switched back to English.

Diabolical!

Call it traffic shaping, or egregious spam, or whatever.

Very uncool. :)