Non-immigrant O Visa Query

Hi, I'm English, 55 years old, and have visited Thailand for many years, always on a tourist visa. I have now stopped working and want to try living in Thailand full time. I want to get a non-immigrant O visa, which I can extend to one year once in Thailand. I didn't realise till the other day that a police check is required here in the UK before the embassy will issue the visa. I've sent in the form to New Scotland Yard, but am a bit worried by the fact that in the 80's I had 2 minor convictions which both resulted in £50 fines. One was for handling a stolen chequebook and the other for possession of a small amount of cannabis. The latter offence was the most recent, but still over 16 years ago. I've been a completely law-abiding citizen for a long time now, but wonder if these offences will show up on the police check. Or am I protected by the Act of Parliament which says that certain offences don't have to be declared after, I think, 7 years? If the offences do show up on the police check and an appeal fails, would that scupper my chances of getting the O visa? I worry that the Thai embassy staff might see the word 'cannabis' and look no further - perhaps not only refuse to issue me with a visa, but make me persona non grata in Thailand altogether. That would be the worst case scenario, but then I tend to fear the worst! Has anyone had to contend with a similar problem re police check, and can give me the benefit of their experience?

Never heard of any specific request from the Embassy (assume thats who has made it ) to Scotland Yard unless they have reason to sus that you may be a bit of a dodgy character. :D

A lot of people might even suggest/give you the impression that having a criminal record is one of the requirements for a Visa request to LOS....... :o

So unless the rules have chainged ....sorry pom ..mai co jai....

...others will no doubt wish to comment :D

FYI-O....

Foreigners who fall into any of the following categories are prohibited to enter the Kingdom.

(1) Having no genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of passport; or having a genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of passport without visaing by the Royal Thai Embassies or Consulates in foreign countries; or from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, except if a visa is not required for certain types of aliens in special instances.

Visaing and visa exemption will be under the terms and conditions as provided in the Ministerial Regulations.

(2) Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom.

(3) Having entered into the Kingdom to take occupation as a labourer, or to take employment by using physical energy without skills or training , or to work in violation of the Alien Work Permit Law.

(4) Being mentally unstable or having any of the diseases as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

(5) Having not yet been vaccinated against smallpox or inoculated or undergone any other medical treatment for protection against disease and having refused to have such vaccinations administered by the Immigration Doctor.

(6) Having been imprisoned by the judgement of the Thai Court; or by a lawful injunction; or by the judgement of the Court of foreign country, except when the penalty is for petty offense or negligence or is provided for as an exception in the Ministerial Regulations.

(7) Having behavior which would indicate possible danger to the Public or likelihood of being nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace or safety of the public or to the security of the public or to the security of the nation, or being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments.

(8) Reason to believe that entrance into the Kingdom was for the purpose of being involved in prostitution, the trading of women of children, drug smuggling, or other types of smuggling which are contrary to the public morality.

(9) Having no money or bond as prescribed by the Minister under Section 14 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 .

(10) Being a person prohibited by the Minister under Section 16 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522.

(11) Being deported by either the Government of Thailand that of or other foreign countries; or the right of stay in the Kingdom or in foreign countries having been revoked; or having been sent out of the Kingdom by competent officials at the expense of the Government of Thailand unless the Minister shall consider exemption on an individual special case basis.

The examination and diagnosis of disease of a physical or mental nature, including protective operations as against disease, shall be conducted by the Immigration Doctor.

Information on location and contact number of the Thai Embassy and Consulate-General abroad could be obtained from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Department of Consular Affairs, Visas and Travel Documents Division, 123 Chaengwattana Road, Bangkok 10210, Tel. (662) 981-7171 ext. 3201-2, 3204-5 or direct line 575-1062-4, Fax. (662) 575-1066 , E-mail : [email protected]

Hi, I'm English, 55 years old, and have visited Thailand for many years, always on a tourist visa.  I have now stopped working and want to try living in Thailand full time.  I want to get a non-immigrant O visa, which I can extend to one year once in Thailand.  I didn't realise till the other day that a police check is required here in the UK before the embassy will issue the visa.  I've sent in the form to New Scotland Yard, but am a bit worried by the fact that in the 80's I had 2 minor convictions which both resulted in £50 fines.  One was for handling a stolen chequebook and the other for possession of a small amount of cannabis.  The latter offence was the most recent, but still over 16 years ago.  I've been a completely law-abiding citizen for a long time now, but wonder if these offences will show up on the police check.  Or am I protected by the Act of Parliament which says that certain offences don't have to be declared after, I think, 7 years?  If the offences do show up on the police check and an appeal fails, would that scupper my chances of getting the O visa?  I worry that the Thai embassy staff might see the word 'cannabis' and look no further - perhaps not only refuse to issue me with a visa, but make me persona non grata in Thailand altogether.  That would be the worst case scenario, but then I tend to fear the worst!  Has anyone had to contend with a similar problem re police check, and can give me the benefit of their experience?

I'd be curious how the Scotland Yard check turns out? Did they say how long it would take to process?

Never heard of any specific request from the Embassy (assume thats who has made it ) to Scotland Yard unless they have reason to sus that you may be a bit of a dodgy character. :o

No, Rinrada, the embassy isn't contacting the police (I don't think I'm THAT dodgy!). I phoned the Thai consulate in Glasgow (I live in London, but could not get through to the London embassy) and a lady there told me that I would need 3 bits of info - the aforementioned police check, a doctor's letter saying I have no contagious diseases and a bank letter regarding available funds. She said she would send an application form (which hasn't arrived yet), and on the basis of what she said I've gone ahead and requested the police check, which will be sent to me. If I don't like its contents, I'm under no obligation to pass it on to anyone. I'm just assuming from what the lady said that the embassy would want to see it before issuing the visa. Now I'm not sure.

Sriracha John, the form I filled in asking for the police check said it could take 40 days to get an answer and there's no way to speed things up. That's another reason why I'm not very keen on it!

....Sriracha John, the form I filled in asking for the police check said it could take 40 days to get an answer and there's no way to speed things up.  That's another reason why I'm not very keen on it!

I guess you're talking about the O-A "Long Stay" visa for "retirement purposes" awarded by embassies outside Thailand. I went through that process nearly three years ago. I too was told it would take 8 weeks (=40 working days, not one month + 10 days :o ) but in fact I got the results in about 8 days because they said there was nothing on the national computer about me.

Please let us know whether they list those old convictions and - if they do - whether it has any affect on your application. If you have any other questions, please post here. And if it is the O-A visa, I have been there and done that, so may be able to answer other questions you may have. Good luck!

I didn't realise there was any distinction, RDN. Is it possible to achieve my aim of a year's visa by starting with the non-immigrant 'O' visa, which some people have suggested is much easier to obtain than this 'O-A' visa? I've read accounts of people extending their 'O' visa in Thailand without requiring any documents from the home country, just a medical certificate and bank statement obtained in Thailand itself; no mention of a police check either.

There is definitely a time limit on how long minor offences can be kept on the police computer in the UK. You mention that it was 16 years since your last offence. There should be nothing coming up about you - assuming you've kept your nose clean.

If the police check comes back with anything bad against you, challenge it.

If I remember correctly form my law studies, the issue is covered by The Data Protection Act. The police are not exempt.

I didn't realise there was any distinction, RDN.  Is it possible to achieve my aim of a year's visa by starting with the non-immigrant 'O' visa, which some people have suggested is much easier to obtain than this 'O-A' visa?  I've read accounts of people extending their 'O' visa in Thailand without requiring any documents from the home country, just a medical certificate and bank statement obtained in Thailand itself; no mention of a police check either.

For the issue of a Non-Immigrant O visa abroad ( positively ) no police clearance or medical certificate is required. Apply at Hull instead, Very simple process there.

I didn't realise there was any distinction, RDN.  Is it possible to achieve my aim of a year's visa by starting with the non-immigrant 'O' visa, which some people have suggested is much easier to obtain than this 'O-A' visa?  I've read accounts of people extending their 'O' visa in Thailand without requiring any documents from the home country, just a medical certificate and bank statement obtained in Thailand itself; no mention of a police check either.

Hi Popcorn. The fact that you initially wrote about a police check made me assume you were trying to get the O-A visa, for which a police check is required. But lots of people have got the equivalent one year permission to stay by extending a type O visa from within Thailand. So if you want to do it that way - extend the O visa - I don't believe there is a police check involved because the visa is extended in Thailand.

There have been many topics on this site about these two ways of getting a one-year stay, extendible each year for another year. You can use the search facility (top right) or use Google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22O-A+visa...ww.thaivisa.com

http://www.google.com/search?&q=%22long+st...ww.thaivisa.com

Here are some useful topics:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=23893

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14649

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24934

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14973

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7745

Edited by RDN