The Duke's - Don't Get It!

DavidOxon

Hi all

after all the recent fuss/ravings about the Duke's, I thought I'd give it a try, having

managed to not eat there yet in the year and a half I've been living here.

And to be honest, we won't be eating there again. We thought we'd try some of our

favourite farang foods so ordered buffalo wings, ribs, and a pizza, and I had a couple of G n Ts :)

The sauce the wings came in was horrible, quite sour and un-appetising, and a small portion, the ribs

never came at all!!! so can't comment. The pizza was impressive looking, but SO SALTY

to make it almost inedible, and the G n T's were 150 bht each, extortionate!

For the 'pleasure' of all this we had to stump up 850 bht! Enought for us to eat out

every night for a week locally, including beer!

(one more thing, why do Americans have to talk so loudly when eating out, is it a cultural thing?)

So... won't be eating there again, but could list it in my top 10 worst places I have eaten

in Chiang Mai

David

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe, they had a bad night. Maybe you just don't like their food. Maybe this is a smear job. Never had a salty pizza there. Please point out some restaurants that you think are better. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Hi all

after all the recent fuss/ravings about the Duke's, I thought I'd give it a try, having

managed to not eat there yet in the year and a half I've been living here.

And to be honest, we won't be eating there again. We thought we'd try some of our

favourite farang foods so ordered buffalo wings, ribs, and a pizza, and I had a couple of G n Ts :)

The sauce the wings came in was horrible, quite sour and un-appetising, and a small portion, the ribs

never came at all!!! so can't comment. The pizza was impressive looking, but SO SALTY

to make it almost inedible, and the G n T's were 150 bht each, extortionate!

For the 'pleasure' of all this we had to stump up 850 bht! Enought for us to eat out

every night for a week locally, including beer!

(one more thing, why do Americans have to talk so loudly when eating out, is it a cultural thing?)

So... won't be eating there again, but could list it in my top 10 worst places I have eaten

in Chiang Mai

David

Americans talking loudly while eating out??? I'm assuming they were probably drunk. I've seen nationalities from all across the globe be rude and loud when eating out, I don't think it's an American thing... I think its a drunk thing. This is speaking from experience... I've spent many years working in a popular NYC restaurant.. (My last day was yesterday because I'm moving to BKK - yay - )

Another thing, maybe the person cooking yesterday wasnt the same as the person who cooked when other people went. This can have an impact. Even tho some places try to be consistant, sometimes the person that makes it good isnt there that day.. Or they let someone make it that didnt actually know what they were doing. Maybe try them again on a different day...

Ah, there you have me, it's a long time

since I spent so much on eating out as

we rarely eat western food in CNX. It was

supposed to be a treat and we only

went because it was so highly recommended!

(By you particularly) My wife was all for calling the

pizza delivery place as it was cheaper.

I have had worse pizza in CNX

at the Riverside, but that was cos of its size,

not flavour!

David

in Chiang Mai

I only went once to the Duke's (the one by the river). The Chicago style pizza I ordered is one of the best I've ever eaten in Chiang Mai.

I'll eat there again.

By the way, one of the guys I had lunch with is an American and, believe it or not, he doesn't talk loud. He even ranks among the most respectful people I've ever met.

I have had bad meals pretty much everywhere in Chiang Mai - including much more expensive places than the Duke's - so if you don't eat Western food often and had a bad one, I can see where you would be unpleasantly surprised.

My feeling is that between having Thai cooks that have no idea what the food should really taste like and ingredients that are not consistent quality-wise and Thai staff that make a lot of mistakes, it is almost impossible to have a restaurant as consistently good as back home in a city with lots of good places.

I'm sorry that the Duke's disappointed you, but I find it much better than most other Western restaurants in the city and I'm not let down nearly as often.

As I said, I’ve never had a salty pizza there and I think that theirs is quite good compared to most in the area. Maybe you could try one again and if you like it better, consider trying the restaurant one more time?

OK OK, sorry about the loud Amercan bit!

David

forgiven :)

Mr Oxon, invite me (along with my respectful American friend) at the Duke's for a Tchecago style pizza and I'll forgive you. :D

Reason for edit: I'm sure that, at the end of the meal, my American friend (a Thaivisa member) will also be willing to forgive you.

Edited by MonsieurHulot

Mr Oxon, invite me (along with my respectful American friend) at the Duke's for a Tchecago style pizza and I'll forgive you. :)

Reason for edit: I'm sure that, at the end of the meal, my American friend (a Thaivisa member) will also be willing to forgive you.

How pleasant it would be to think that I was your highly-complimented American friend. Even I, though, while quite capable of the necessary egotism, cannot quite manage that much foolishness. Still, if you are in a pinch, M. Hulot, and your American friend cannot participate, I would be delighted to join you for such a meal, and I can promise forgiveness at an even earlier stage.

I had pizza on my first visit to Duke's, with a quiet Italian-American. We ate outside - good pizza, not great by American or Chicago standards. Not cheap. Had filet mignon there next time - good, not great, not cheap. Ate there once more, with george, and will again, by george. But I never write home to my Chicago-born sisters about it.

Thai cooks are no excuse. Hire them and train and manage them.

i think the Duke's serves good pizzas. meals are priced well for most items. prices of drinks? well I don't go there for my beer drinking sessions so cannot comment. It is a restaurant after all and prices should be comparable to other restaurants be it Italian, French, Japanese or other farang places.

If you ask me, THB850 is really not much for G N T, RIbs, buffalo wings and a pizza!

again this thread might bring in more business to the Duke's thanks to the OP

Well, dunno 'bout you all, but now I'm gettin' hungry, so I'm outa here in a few minutes, for lunch at The Duke's! (Note to DavidOxon: imagine that, if you will, delivered in a loud, booming American twang! :) )

If you did not like the Pizza and the ribs you ordered never arrived why didn't you complain?

You may not have needed to start another food thread if the problem had been resolved to your satisfaction, which I am sure it would have been.

You can't complain about the prices though, they are listed on the menu, if it's to steep for your budget you could have gone elsewhere

850 BAHT ! ! !

You did get the Buff Wings, Accepting that you had 2 G n T's , and a pixxa......For heavens sake man, Pizza Hut taarpaper pizz costs 400 B

300B for the 2 GT's and the wings..... apparently you were not charged for the non arriving ribs. I don't feel thats out of line as to being over priced.

Accepted, all people do not like all cooks or cooking. that is just life.

I would just say you had a bad night and every little thing seemed to pile on....... it happens to all of us, mostly to me....

For me David and The Dukes, is the finest restaurant in CM..... In saying that is I count price, ambiance, food quality, and the overall atmosphere.

Yes there are more expensive,,,,, more specialty restaurants, but for overall , all around, The Duke's gets my vote.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

For me David and The Dukes, is the finest restaurant in CM..... In saying that is I count price, ambiance, food quality, and the overall atmosphere.

Yes there are more expensive,,,,, more specialty restaurants, but for overall , all around, The Duke's gets my vote.

That is a real compliment as Mr. Gonzo also owns a restaurant that is well known for delicious food. I would name it, but I am not sure that he wants me to blow his cover. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I can promise forgiveness at an even earlier stage.

Don't be too kind, that would amount to weakness.

I am big enough that I can afford weakness. (Alarm bells going off again in the ego department!)

I had pizza on my first visit to Duke's, with a quiet Italian-American. We ate outside - good pizza, not great by American or Chicago standards. Not cheap. Had filet mignon there next time - good, not great, not cheap. Ate there once more, with george, and will again, by george. But I never write home to my Chicago-born sisters about it.

Thai cooks are no excuse. Hire them and train and manage them.

This is an answer to my heart.

I tried the Dukes three times. (so what about giving them another chance) same with Tuskers. ALL three times the food was below standard and to answer the question if I complained? Yes I did.. Not even a Sorry!

I had restaurants all my life in Europe and one thing I learned is Never to sit back and think: They are coming anyway. For example the Michelin stars.. every year you have to deserve/earn them.

Another thing...

I used to order dinners through Meals on Wheels. The reason I do Not anymore is because the restaurants in general (with exemption from Dukes) simply mix everything together in one box. I mean.. when you do Not use their chairs, staff, glasses, plates, electricity and so on.. Is it really so difficult to pack the ordered meals properly? And this has nothing to do with MoW. They are doing a terrific good job!

My 2 cents:

I like the Dukes, but there are some real problems. First and formost, he doesn't seem to be able to find a decent grill chef.

I have tried the burgers there 3 or 4 times, and they either come out burnt or raw. I do not order the burger in any special way (rare, medium, etc.), just the way they make it.

Went there with my gf and she ordered a (relatively expensive - around 600bt) steak. She asked for medium rare, as she does not like blood coming out.

It came burnt (and I do mean burnt - black everywhere) on the outside and bloody raw on the inside. I mentioned this to Dave, and he took it away, and the same steak came back still black on the outside, and a little less raw on the inside. He also said that grill chefs are hard to find.

Well, for a $20 dollar steak, they should be able to cook it. And as for bringing back the same burnt one - well, bad business sense in my mind.

I like their food generally (had a great Thanksgiving turkey dinner there), but I don't like spending relatively big bucks on a hit and miss meal.

I also mentioned to the owner once that the hot spinach salad (which is great) should not be served on an icy plate. He just shrugged and said that he tried telling his staff that, but "you know, TIT"

If you did not like the Pizza and the ribs you ordered never arrived why didn't you complain?

You may not have needed to start another food thread if the problem had been resolved to your satisfaction, which I am sure it would have been.

You can't complain about the prices though, they are listed on the menu, if it's to steep for your budget you could have gone elsewhere

I didn't get charged for the ribs, after pointing it out, it's not that it is expensive,

just expensive for Chiang Mai, and for the price, I think they should offer a better

than 'hit or miss' standard . . .

I will probably try them again, at some point in the future,

and maybe they will rock.

David

Have to agree with the booming American voices thing. What is wrong with you that you have to bellow at someone sitting just a couple of feet away?

I've had meals ruined everywhere because I can't hear my fellow dinner guests because of some American sitting several tables away.

I was once asked by a Thai woman why Americans speak so loud, while another meal was being ruined, and I replied, "Because they come from a big country", but all joking aside, its incredibly rude and there should be a sign in restaurants ABOVE the No Smoking sign, telling Americans that if someone is sitting just two feet away you don't need to shout at them.

That is a real compliment as Mr. Gonzo also owns a restaurant that is well known for delicious food. I would name it, but I am not sure that he wants me to blow his cover. :)

To Mr. UG

Thank you and thank you for both counts

and I think your books have the nicest words in all CM

G

I think Duke's is a great restaurant for people who enjoy North American food. However, I actually really enjoyed the place when it was an English style pub called the Tavern. Air-con set to freezing and nearly always close to empty. I used to sit at the bar and read the paper before returning to the heat and humidity outside. I miss it.