Three Aussie Murderers Fled To Thailand

george

Luke Mitchell 'killers' flee Australia

MELBOURNE, Australia: -- Three suspects in the brutal stabbing murder of a good samaritan in Melbourne early yesterday have fled overseas, Victoria Police has confirmed.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Simon Overland today said there were three suspects in the murder of 29-year-old, Luke Mitchell, in Brunswick and all three had fled to Thailand.

Mitchell was stabbed five times and kicked while he lay on the ground about 2.16am (AEST) yesterday as his friends and sister-in-law Daniella, Shane's wife, pleaded with the attackers to stop.

He died later that morning in hospital.

"My advice is that there are a number of suspects and they have fled overseas and they are in Thailand,'' Mr Overland said.

"The investigation is now continuing with all haste to formally identify the suspects and take whatever steps are necessary to apprehend them and bring them back in front of the courts here in Victoria.''

Mr Overland said international extraditions were difficult and were carried out by the Australian Federal Police and Commonwealth Attorney-General's Department.

"I think, given the recent experience with these things with other well-known identities, you would understand these things are never straightforward,'' he said.

"If we get to a position and basis for making arrests then we will look to do that.

"The initial arrests of people overseas then they would be extradited back to Australia.''

Mr Mitchell was attacked minutes after he intervened to protect a man being assaulted by three men outside Spot nightclub in Sydney Rd, Brunswick.

“As he tried to intervene he was attacked by the group and hit with a broken pram,'' police spokesman Wayne Wilson said.

The attackers broke off and Mr Mitchell went to a nearby convenience store with four of his mates.

As the group left the store, a car pulled up and two Asian men got out of the vehicle. They stabbed Mr Mitchell five times and kicked him as he lay wounded and defenceless on the street.

Terrible grief

"Words cannot express our pain, nor our confusion, how such a senseless and violent act could occur, particularly given the nature in which it occurred," his family told the Herald Sun.

"He was a gentle, gentle person, he was always trying to help people and that ended up costing him," Luke's brother, Shane Mitchell, said.

"There's not too many bloke out there like Luke and it's a sad indictment that people like Luke are few and far between, or they are out there but are just too afraid to stand up and say what's wrong when it's wrong for fear of this thing happening."

Premier John Brumby was appalled by the attack and said his thoughts were with the Mitchell family.

"This cowardly act is un-Australian and unacceptable," Mr Brumby said.

"There's no place in our society for this kind of attack, when someone was trying to do the right thing."

The vicious murder has outraged Victorians and renewed calls for Melbourne's street violence to be stamped out.

Mr Mitchell said Mr Brumby and Victorian Police Chief Commissioner Simon Overland needed to take the lead to clean up the streets.

"I really think that John Brumby, Simon Overland, whoever needs to get together ... with the police to be able to show some presence and show some powers on the street, because this is just getting out of control,'' he said.

Mr Mitchell said his brother's death was the "tragic loss of a beautiful, beautiful person and completely unnecessary''.

-- news.com.au 2009-05-25

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai police efficient in locking up Australians for beer mats and donuts will have to show how quick they are when they have named and pictured murderers at hand.

If Oz police knows they have fled to Thailand, then Thais should have their pictures and names already from the airport where they landed.

the title of this thread indicates the 3 suspected murderers are Australian ? is that correct ?

I'm guessing that they Australian but of Asian descent.

As far I read the news only 2 are of asian descent but as usual I could be wrong :)

Melbourne's night club scene has been out of control for many years and nothing is done to fix it. The streets of Bangkok are much safer at night than Melbourne. Even in the inner up-market suburbs like Sth Yarra and Brighton things can get out of control very quickly. I believe alot of this trouble started when the Victoria Police joined the Trades Hall Council (union) about 15 years ago. The force has been slowly going down hill ever since. Victoria used to be the model of policing in Australia but now there is constant allegations of corruption and inaction due to politcal correctness. The latest incident involving a fatality is common place, its only come to light here because of the Thailand connection. The Aussie Feds have an office here so i doubt if it will take long to grab the punks.

The Aussie Feds have an office here so i doubt if it will take long to grab the punks.

they don't seem to be willing to name the persons of interest - I wonder why

"I think, given the recent experience with these things with other well-known identities, you would understand these things are never straightforward,'' he said.

The Mr. Mitchell intervened and then became the victim himself... it's difficult because it's both noble and stupid. I would think you would get the heck out of there as soon as possible after making "them" look weak!

Edited by horsewell

If they're in Thailand the AFP/ThaiPolice will pick them up soon enough.

Your confidence in the Thai Police is misplaced.

Hambali moved around in Thailand unchecked for months. There was one of Scotland Yard's top ten most wanted living in Pattaya for many years on false passports - a British citizen but wanted for murder in Australia.

Many more incidents of incompetence and negligence to choose from but those are two that spring to mind.

The main reason Thailand is the new 'Costa del Crime' is it so easy to get away here.

The Mr. Mitchell intervened and then became the victim himself... it's difficult because it's both noble and stupid. I would think you would get the heck out of there as soon as possible after making "them" look weak!

My deepest condolences to all who had been allowed to join this great mans life. Its real seldom that some step in and help in such situation, as 99% of all of us would just look away as self defense would allow the excuse its not my business! And that's exactly where the special people become separated from the average of us. I would not call it stupid at all and some never could expect they would hit back that fast, so he didn't run or not fear at all! Whatever it's a tragic lost of a great person....and it was as stated so unnecessary....without words now.....

Assuming it's not the relative of anyone important in Thailand, they'll find them eventually.

Not necessarily.

I know Western criminals who have lived in Thailand for years on false passports and never been caught.

New Costa del Crime.

Easy to get false documents here, and easy to disappear into the morass of other dodgy foreigners here.

Not to mention easy to cross land borders. Not all of Thailand's 55 checkpoints are computerised.

Edited by Oberkommando

Melbourne's night club scene has been out of control for many years and nothing is done to fix it. The streets of Bangkok are much safer at night than Melbourne. Even in the inner up-market suburbs like Sth Yarra and Brighton things can get out of control very quickly. I believe alot of this trouble started when the Victoria Police joined the Trades Hall Council (union) about 15 years ago. The force has been slowly going down hill ever since. Victoria used to be the model of policing in Australia but now there is constant allegations of corruption and inaction due to politcal correctness. The latest incident involving a fatality is common place, its only come to light here because of the Thailand connection. The Aussie Feds have an office here so i doubt if it will take long to grab the punks.

:) Interested, as an australian citizen and long time union member, as to how you arrive at the conclusion that joining Trades Hall Council has affected the policing performance of Victorian coppers....another union basher alive and well in Thailand...you probably are concerned about the Yellow Peril as well although, if I am correct, you live in Thailand, an asian nation, and you seem happy enough to live amongst asian peoples....like all those right wing blokes who came and got asian brides but with their mates you can hear them use the terms. 'chinks' and 'slopes'..but not a problem especially if the asian wife will come for you and go for you and sew for you...ironical really....maybe you probably dont like Rudd either and the fact that he is a fluent Mandarin speaker must make you squirm...I lived in Melbourne for 55 years and the nightclub scene was never what it now is...yes safer here...but cos I am an old codger I dont go out at night other than my local restaurants in my soi...oh well, guess there will be always union bashers around... :D

:) Interested, as an australian citizen and long time union member, as to how you arrive at the conclusion that joining Trades Hall Council has affected the policing performance of Victorian coppers....another union basher alive and well in Thailand...you probably are concerned about the Yellow Peril as well although, if I am correct, you live in Thailand, an asian nation, and you seem happy enough to live amongst asian peoples....like all those right wing blokes who came and got asian brides but with their mates you can hear them use the terms. 'chinks' and 'slopes'..but not a problem especially if the asian wife will come for you and go for you and sew for you...ironical really....maybe you probably dont like Rudd either and the fact that he is a fluent Mandarin speaker must make you squirm...I lived in Melbourne for 55 years and the nightclub scene was never what it now is...yes safer here...but cos I am an old codger I dont go out at night other than my local restaurants in my soi...oh well, guess there will be always union bashers around... :D

Unions are political entitites that exist for person thatnever want to advance in life because that would take an effort on their part buy, by being part of a Union they are allowed a certain mediocum of common success. Anyway, this thread is not about unions. Hey, the question is if the perps are of Thai decent then I might be pretty easy for them to dissapear into the frontier, so to speak.

A reference to Tony Mokbel?

Uh, I believe the lack of things being less than "straightforward" in the Land of Oz go beyond the relatively recent and recall other "well-known identities" such as Mr. Nugan and Mr. Hand.

I forget. Are Thais are photographed on entry too?

Thai police efficient in locking up Australians for beer mats and donuts will have to show how quick they are when they have named and pictured murderers at hand.

If Oz police knows they have fled to Thailand, then Thais should have their pictures and names already from the airport where they landed.

the thai police are reasonable efficent at tracking down people under these circumstances, in part due to good immigration controls. if they had come to the uk like hundreds of thousands other people, they can dissappear without a problem

A reference to Tony Mokbel?

Uh, I believe the lack of things being less than "straightforward" in the Land of Oz go beyond the relatively recent and recall other "well-known identities" such as Mr. Nugan and Mr. Hand.

Could also have been James Kinch, ongoing case, mentioned here on Thai Visa before.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...17-2703,00.html

There's a 24 hour medical clinic directly opposite the Seven-Eleven but even that didn't save the poor guy. Let's hope they find the killers soon.

Edited by jeffer

the title of this thread indicates the 3 suspected murderers are Australian ? is that correct ?

I'm guessing that they Australian but of Asian descent.

I'm guessing Asians who were probably on a residents visa or working etc.

Once back in Thailand they are free to country hop back to their place of origin and be at liberty to stick 2 fingers up alas.