Surf Shop

Globalguppy

Hi hi,

I'm looking to buy a good quality body board. I've just been buying the cheapy ones from the beach vendors, and of course everytime I hit the waves the board breaks. I go out everyday so it's time to invest in a real board.

I like speed and being able to maneuver real well, so a bat tail board would be perfect.

The only shop I've seen on the island is Saltwater Dreams in Surin. I live in Nai Harn so something closer would be preferable.

Actually if I can find a good condition second hand board, for a good deal that'd be perfect... I'd drive to the airport for that!! BUT second hand is not necessary if it does not exist.

Does anyone know of a closer shop? Perhaps Kata or Karon? Patong even?

I greatly appreciate any responses, as I can't go one more day without riding!!!!I'm going crazy :)

Kap khun mak kaaaaa!!! ------ in advance :D

Hi hi,

I'm looking to buy a good quality body board. I've just been buying the cheapy ones from the beach vendors, and of course everytime I hit the waves the board breaks. I go out everyday so it's time to invest in a real board.

I like speed and being able to maneuver real well, so a bat tail board would be perfect.

The only shop I've seen on the island is Saltwater Dreams in Surin. I live in Nai Harn so something closer would be preferable.

Actually if I can find a good condition second hand board, for a good deal that'd be perfect... I'd drive to the airport for that!! BUT second hand is not necessary if it does not exist.

Does anyone know of a closer shop? Perhaps Kata or Karon? Patong even?

I greatly appreciate any responses, as I can't go one more day without riding!!!!I'm going crazy :)

Kap khun mak kaaaaa!!! ------ in advance :D

Does the shop in Surin have boogie boards? I am going by there today and could check it out for you. There is a Surf Shop on the road to Surin about 3 km from the Laguna turnoff in Cherng Talay. I not sure if we are talking about the same one. Anyway, going today to check it out.

Where are you riding?

Does the shop in Surin have boogie boards? I am going by there today and could check it out for you. There is a Surf Shop on the road to Surin about 3 km from the Laguna turnoff in Cherng Talay. I not sure if we are talking about the same one. Anyway, going today to check it out.

Where are you riding?

I believe we're talking about the same one and it seems they have everything including bodyboards http://www.saltwater-dreaming.com/shopping/products.htm

I ride mostly at Nai Harn since I live right next to it. Sometimes I like Yanui because I can bring my dog along, but only during hightide because the rocks are killer. Where do you ride?

Anyway, what would I do without this forum?!?! Thanks for the replies.. I'm going to check out Cobra today! :)

Oops botched up that last post...

Scudman- thanks for checking out that shop. Could you reply with your thoughts on that shop out there? I'll do the same for Cobra.. kaaaaaa!

I went yesterday and it is Saltwater Dreams or Dreaming. They have bodyboards. Not Morey, but they look reasonably well made. Also have a small selection of short boards and a few long boards. Some suits and that is about it. Asked the woman at the desk if she knew of any good surf spots locally. She had no clue.

Just got here so have not been in the water yet. Understand there is a surf contest coming up next month. Going for sure.

See you in the water.

Jim

I went to Rick at Cobra and it just so happens that we grew up near each other so not only did he sell me a good board (Ben Player) but he gave me a discount! Yay! Can't wait till this black cloud of doom passes so I can get back in the water. Storm storm go away!

I went to Rick at Cobra and it just so happens that we grew up near each other so not only did he sell me a good board (Ben Player) but he gave me a discount! Yay! Can't wait till this black cloud of doom passes so I can get back in the water. Storm storm go away!

Once you get used to riding waves on the body board, and learn how to position yourself on the wave; where to be while the wave is moving, you'll want to graduate onto a surfboard.

Body boarding is fun for sure, surfing is even more fun.

Once you get used to riding waves on the body board, and learn how to position yourself on the wave; where to be while the wave is moving, you'll want to graduate onto a surfboard.

I've been able to ride the waves in, well mostly white water. Yesterday however was a breakthrough, I actually learned how to ride the wave properly. It'll be a while till I move on to the surf board. I'm addicted to body boarding for now!! :)

I've been able to ride the waves in, well mostly white water. Yesterday however was a breakthrough, I actually learned how to ride the wave properly. It'll be a while till I move on to the surf board. I'm addicted to body boarding for now!! :)

Have fun ! Surfs up again today.

• 2 weeks later...

The surf shop at Surin beach is Saltwater Dreaming. They say they are the importers and distributors for NMD bodyboards, Ben Player, Winchester etc.

Is Rick's shop the same shop as Cobra?

I went to Cobra a couple of weeks ago, they have only the NMD bodyboard NJOY for 3,400 THB (beginner's board). Same thing for the surfshop in Kata beach. I'd like an "intermediate" board.

Saltwater Dreaming has more choices but still difficult to get the right board and the right size together.

Unfortunately, I think that's all we can get in Phuket.

Anyone knows a good shop in Bkk?

And if anyone has a good second hand board, I'm interested as well...

Cheers!

Greg

I would love to try body boarding, but im a bit scared of rip currents. Is it easier to survive if you are on a body board?
The rip currents itself are not dangerous, the problem is they drag you out towards the sea, and people tend to fight the current. Just let the current take you or swim perpendicular to the current, and you'll be ok.

On a board it is even easier.

I would love to try body boarding, but im a bit scared of rip currents. Is it easier to survive if you are on a body board?

YIKES !

I don't feel good about you jumping in the water when you are worried about "surviving".

The board will make things even worse in a current unless you have fins, to (as stevenl mentions) to swim out of the current and then in. If you are not a powerful swimmer skip it until December.

• 1 year later...

anyone know if the shop mentioned cobra watersports is still around ? went down that way and cant find any shop named cobra

That post was 2 years old. Maybe a surfing member can give you an update.

I dont think there is a cobra sign outside but there is a big NSP banner and Its the only surf shop around there. Just a little way down the pier road on the left side. He has a good selection of surf boards and I think he had body boards, skim boards and sup boards also. I bought a Webber afterburner from there last week with 25% discount as the colour has become a slightly off white instead of bright white. An awesome board and the best deal around, and he still has a few left in the back of the shop.

Go and check again, there is a shop there.

anyone know if the shop mentioned cobra watersports is still around ? went down that way and cant find any shop named cobra

For sure still there, and as mentioned it's closer to the Chalong circle than the pier. Head down, toward the pier and count about six or eight shops on your left and you'll see it.

Just so dam_n expensive, boards in there. Also, I'm not a huge fan of epoxy boards, they seem to get really inconsistent air gaps, much prefer foam blanks, and all the foam blank boards there are pricey.