Can A Foreigner Open Up A Bank Account In Thailand?

I am visiting for an initial 6 months later this year hopefully longer...

Is there any type of bank account i can open which will give me a bank card and access to the ATM's ???

im just thinking it will cost me a small fortune in charges if i use my UK bank card while im there... would be great if i could transfer one amount over to Thailand and avoid these charges.

Any suggestions ????

Is there any type of bank account i can open which will give me a bank card and access to the ATM's ???

im just thinking it will cost me a small fortune in charges if i use my UK bank card while im there... would be great if i could transfer one amount over to Thailand and avoid these charges.

Any suggestions ????

Yes, do a search and you can find more details, it's been discussed several times recently. I think most people settled on Kasikorn bank as being easiest. I used Bangkok Bank near the Nana BTS station in Bangkok. Anyway, not all banks will open an account, so just keep trying different branches.

This may have something useful. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Opening-Bank...nt-t260738.html

Edited by beechguy

Any suggestions ????

Yes, do a search and you can find more details, it's been discussed several times recently. I think most people settled on Kasikorn bank as being easiest. I used Bangkok Bank near the Nana BTS station in Bangkok. Anyway, not all banks will open an account, so just keep trying different branches.

This may have something useful. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Opening-Bank...nt-t260738.html

Cheers mate, exactly what i needed :)

Any suggestions ????

Cheers mate, exactly what i needed :)

I think I found that on the 3rd page. If you look a little farther, I think there were a couple of more threads. Anyway, good luck and as most others say, just keep trying.

I could not open up a bank account with my business visa in Bangkok. All the banks in Bangkok (tried about a dozen banks/branches) insisted on a work permit, a letter from my embassy stating that my passport was my passport and other various documents. Ironically the company wanted a bank account number before they would apply for my work permit (well TIS!).

Anyhow I read that in Pattaya the rules are different and it is true. I went to a Kasikorn bank branch, they opened up a savings account with atm card and internet access in about 10minutes.

Hi there iam not to sure of rules in bkk but in 2004 when i was in kalasin i went to bank with my wife and my passport and after 10 mins walked out with visa card, and when iam there i put money on and use that and if not going for a while will get her mum to put some money on so i keep the card.

I tried Bangkok Bank and they said no as I didn't have a work permit. Thought I'd try somewhere else and asked in a Kasikorn branch - they opened up a savings account for me immediately with a visa debit card. It took about ten minutes. 300BHT for the card and minimum 500BHT deposit to open the account.

This was about a week ago...

:)

Yep, same here, Kasikorn opens account immediately, with ATM and/or Visa Debit Card (for electronic use only). After 6 months plus 100,000 THB fixed deposit they will also issue you a Visa Credit Card with 100,000 THB credit. You can also get Visa Platinum with a 500,000 fixed deposit that will have 500,000 THB credit.

You can also apply for access to their excellent Internet Banking when you open a new account or later on, you will receive the username/password within a few days.

Edited by dr_lucas

I could not open up a bank account with my business visa in Bangkok. All the banks in Bangkok (tried about a dozen banks/branches) insisted on a work permit, a letter from my embassy stating that my passport was my passport and other various documents. Ironically the company wanted a bank account number before they would apply for my work permit (well TIS!).

I did open Bangkok Bank and K-Bank accounts last year with Non-b and letter from my company that indicates that I will start work there and ask for open account for me. That time I just had apply WP, so its possible to get account before you will get WP. This happened in BKK.

Maybe the mods could make a pinned thread as this question gets asked every week?

:) I second that idea. I can't believe how few seem to bother to use the search facility to find and read the most recent thread/s.

Once again - the only rule about opening bank accounts (in day to day reality) is the one that exists in the mind of the specific bank staffer you speak to. If they say no (or come up with an obstacle course of requirements) then walk across the road to the next bank. It's that simple.

Hi, I am new to Thai Visa forum...thank you all for the valuable advice.

I opened a savings account yesterday with a Tourist Visa.

My wife(Thai) and I opened a joint savings account at the Kasikorn Bank in Rangsit across the highway from Major Cinema. Near all the Chinese gold shops..

All of the banks in Future Park said "sorry, no"... :)

Edited by willgreg21

My wife(Thai) and I opened a joint savings account at the Kasikorn Bank in Rangsit across the highway from Major Cinema. Near all the Chinese gold shops..

Hi willgreg21,

I manage to open a Thai Bank account in Future Park in Rangsit my Thai gf had a laugh at me saying I would not manage it but I did.

If you look at the Bangkok Bank website is state that you have to prove

1 Your Address (Letter where you stay)

2 Your Identity Passport

Lastly you have a number of options

1 Letter from Good person that the Bank knows a customer of Bangkok Bank

2 A letter from the Embassy that you are who you say you are

3 a WP

4 or a Driving Licence with a photo of your face

The last one is the easiest

Now when I went to Bangkok they stated ,, no no Sir you need to go to your embassy get a letter from them

My reply was that is not what it says on your website I made an appointment to see their manager

Next day No manager but a different person on the desk , but this time I was armed with a print out of the WEbsite.

So got it this time after a few discussions....

Moral of the story don''t give up

PM me if you need any more help for Rangsit

Hi willgreg21,

I manage to open a Thai Bank account in Future Park in Rangsit my Thai gf had a laugh at me saying I would not manage it but I did.

If you look at the Bangkok Bank website is state that you have to prove

1 Your Address (Letter where you stay)

2 Your Identity Passport

Lastly you have a number of options

1 Letter from Good person that the Bank knows a customer of Bangkok Bank

2 A letter from the Embassy that you are who you say you are

3 a WP

4 or a Driving Licence with a photo of your face

The last one is the easiest

Now when I went to Bangkok they stated ,, no no Sir you need to go to your embassy get a letter from them

My reply was that is not what it says on your website I made an appointment to see their manager

Next day No manager but a different person on the desk , but this time I was armed with a print out of the WEbsite.

So got it this time after a few discussions....

Moral of the story don''t give up

PM me if you need any more help for Rangsit

I opened an account in Kasikorn in Pattaya took 20 minutes and they just made a copy of my passport did not even look at the visa page didn't want address or anything. Cost 500 deposit and 300 for account/ATM card.