Fee Free Atms In Jomtien (or Pattaya)

martin.agren

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jfchandler

I think the reason the Nationwide exchange rate looks bad is because they are passing on the 0.85% fee that VISA charge.

Nationwide state that the exchange rate used is as published by VISA

here.

http://www.corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_...amp;rate=0.0085

( 0.85% included )

From my experience using this card I'm getting exchange rates very close to those quoted on the VISA website,

it seems they only update the website once a day and of course the actual exchange rate fluctuates during the day

so what appears on the statement doesn't match up perfectly all the time.

Even with the 0.85% charge the Nationwide VISA card is still the best deal for us Brits.

John, I'd be very interested to see the result if someone did the following real-world test:

take your Nationwide VISA card (GBP), and do back-to-back identical 1000 baht withdrawals, first from Ayudhya and then from a Government Savings Bank (no fee) ATM... Then check the exchange rates that result.

I'd bet...GSB would come out ahead... But I'm happy to be proven wrong...

John, I'd be very interested to see the result if someone did the following real-world test:

take your Nationwide VISA card (GBP), and do back-to-back identical 1000 baht withdrawals, first from Ayudhya and then from a Government Savings Bank (no fee) ATM... Then check the exchange rates that result.

I'd bet...GSB would come out ahead... But I'm happy to be proven wrong...

As I stated in my earlier post,that's exactly what I did.I took out 5000B at the Bank of Ayudha ATM in Carrefour,and about three minutes later the same amount from the GSB machine about five yards away.The rate given by both banks was identical, 56.895B/GBP,and neither bank applied any sort of fee.As "johng" says,Nationwide do have this 0.85% charge,but it's still the best deal,especially if you can avoid this 150B Thai bank charge

Thanks Lekatai... I'm must have missed your earlier post, or it slipped my mind. As you can guess, I tend to pay more attention to the U.S. $ issues than the GBP ones...

For the U.S. folks, the best yielding bank ATM debit cards, like E*Trade or Schwab, pay at or very close to the Interbank Exchange Rate, which is better than the buying TT rate, and those banks do not pass along any kind of VISA % charge (international or otherwise) to their customers. The majority of U.S. banks, however, do pass along some kind of VISA/MC charge as well as take their own cuts behind the scenes. Most people probably do have those kind, because they are more common.

I'll defer to the Brit folks here as the most knowledgeable in their own finances. But if some of the Yank banks are doing it, I'd think/hope somewhere that there's some British bank/stock broker that's offering a debit card that does NOT pass along the VISA/MC network fees... Note that E*Trade and Schwab are chiefly stock brokerages, but include commercial banks as well.

As of 2days ago (31st) there was no charge at the AEON Bank in Tescos on Pattaya Nua.

In fact the machine warned you that using other bank ATM's could cost you 150 Baht.

Where is the AEON ATM in Tesco Lotus on Pattaya Nua? I have only been able to find Bangkok ATM's and a Kasikorn ATM in there?

As of 2days ago (31st) there was no charge at the AEON Bank in Tescos on Pattaya Nua.

In fact the machine warned you that using other bank ATM's could cost you 150 Baht.

Where is the AEON ATM in Tesco Lotus on Pattaya Nua? I have only been able to find Bangkok ATM's and a Kasikorn ATM in there?

use the entrance nearest to the outside secured motorcycle parking.

turn left, Thanachart Bank (orange) will be on your right

walk down to the end and its on your right, opposite the big book and magazine shop on your left

i have been there today, you will likely see a queue.

please be aware ,its also a paypoint for Aeon credit cards and accounts and you may have to wait some time to get sorted

its clear from the people using the paypoints many are robbing peter to pay paul.

they were withdrawing money on the Aeon credit card and then using the funds to pay this months bill

so there were a number of protracted withdrawals, some involving 3-4 transactions

so choose a quiet time to go.

i went around 11-30 and was there 40 minutes........

as to the withdrawal itself.

Singapore Bank Mastercard, 25,000 taken out, (25 notes seemed to be the upper ceiling like Bangkok bank)

there are no additional 150baht charges and as another poster said theres even a TV presentation in a small TV atop the ATM that tells Aeon clients how other banks are charging (ripping) them 150 baht for withdrawals and they should beware of that and only use Aeon Atm where possible.

i just checked my bank account on line, there was definitely no charge and for my 25,000 baht i had to give 1094.29 Singapore dollars

thats nearly exactly the same as i was getting from UOB ATM's before they started charging 150 baht fee

so it looks like Aeon might just be the last of the hold outs

lets support them for that desicion......

Edited by timekeeper

I said I would report back this week after I had been to the Ayudhya ATM opposite Foodland.

Someone said previously that they went last week after reading on here it was Fee free, and it charged them the 150bt Fee, and that the good times were over.

I have been 2 times this week, and there is still NO charge. Checked my Balance online and there is no Fee charged to me.

I also have been using another branch of Ayudhya Bank on 3rd Road near to the Carwash just past Pattaya Klang and the same for me there - FEE FREE.

I just don't understand why it is charging some people but not others !!!! I am not comlaining though :)

I said I would report back this week after I had been to the Ayudhya ATM opposite Foodland.

Someone said previously that they went last week after reading on here it was Fee free, and it charged them the 150bt Fee, and that the good times were over.

I have been 2 times this week, and there is still NO charge. Checked my Balance online and there is no Fee charged to me.

I also have been using another branch of Ayudhya Bank on 3rd Road near to the Carwash just past Pattaya Klang and the same for me there - FEE FREE.

I just don't understand why it is charging some people but not others !!!! I am not comlaining though :)

Me too! I have never been charged with Ayudhya bank, the receipt always says fee: 0.00

I will try them again next time. Saves me seeking out AEON.

use the entrance nearest to the outside secured motorcycle parking.

turn left, Thanachart Bank (orange) will be on your right

walk down to the end and its on your right, opposite the big book and magazine shop on your left

i have been there today, you will likely see a queue.

please be aware ,its also a paypoint for Aeon credit cards and accounts and you may have to wait some time to get sorted

its clear from the people using the paypoints many are robbing peter to pay paul.

they were withdrawing money on the Aeon credit card and then using the funds to pay this months bill

so there were a number of protracted withdrawals, some involving 3-4 transactions

so choose a quiet time to go.

i went around 11-30 and was there 40 minutes........

as to the withdrawal itself.

Singapore Bank Mastercard, 25,000 taken out, (25 notes seemed to be the upper ceiling like Bangkok bank)

there are no additional 150baht charges and as another poster said theres even a TV presentation in a small TV atop the ATM that tells Aeon clients how other banks are charging (ripping) them 150 baht for withdrawals and they should beware of that and only use Aeon Atm where possible.

i just checked my bank account on line, there was definitely no charge and for my 25,000 baht i had to give 1094.29 Singapore dollars

thats nearly exactly the same as i was getting from UOB ATM's before they started charging 150 baht fee

so it looks like Aeon might just be the last of the hold outs

lets support them for that desicion......

UPDATE-the ceiling for withdrawals at AEON is 30,000 baht

Hi PG

its still a problem for me, i tried again today on my way to Aeon with my UK Hsbc and my Singapore Bank cards; i backed out of both transactions when i was warned i would be charged 150

this Bank or this ATM must love you..........or hate me!

There supposedly are three Aeon ATM and Payment Machines in Pattaya. One was on 2nd floor of the original Lotus Store on Sukhimvit. Last time I looked, it appeared gone. BUT, there is a machine at HomeWorks near Big C on Sukhimvit near Pattaya Tai. The machine is outside the HomeWorks Store. It works, I used it yesterday. They did have a sign, but it switched into Thai before I could read it. But the same message was on their website. NO 150 baht ATM FEE.

post-42874-1252047462_thumb.jpg

Hi PG

its still a problem for me, i tried again today on my way to Aeon with my UK Hsbc and my Singapore Bank cards; i backed out of both transactions when i was warned i would be charged 150

this Bank or this ATM must love you..........or hate me!

I know, its really strange. I cannot undertand it.

If it does start to charge me in the future, I will come back here to let you know. ( I hope not though !! )

Edited by pattaya_girl

Tried the GSB ATM next to the checkouts in Carrefour this evening using my Nationwide visa debit card

has never worked before...but low and behold today it worked !! :) so 1 in 10 times it works.

Also the AEON ATM downstairs by the notice board is still not working...its been out of order for months now.

Just got back from the Ayudhya ATM opposite Foodland - Still no 150 bt charge. (Sept 7th).

i just got the results from my HSBC online banking after using HSBC Visa badged debit card at AEON atm in Tesco Pattaya Nua and at the one outside Homeworks South Pattaya

there was no 150 charge advise at the time of withdrawal and the on line banking report confirms that no charge was applied

here are the results exchange rate wise and as yet no ATM withdrawal fee from HSBC but i expect that will follow

i will be delighted if thats free too!

07 Sep VISA CASH

AEON CREDIT SY/AS

BANGKOK

THB 16,000.00

@ 54.0485

Edited by timekeeper

For anyone's interest....someone in another "topic room" has discovered that the atm's charge 150 baht on his card when he uses it and presses the "English" button... but when his Thai wife uses it ...no Charge. So, the answer is to learn how to use the card without using the English button !!!!

HL :)

The AEON ATM at Pattaya Tesco-south, on the 2nd floor near the food-court, has vanished. Replaced by a promo booth.

I couldn't find anyone who could understand what I was asking about, so it may or may not still be somewhere within Tesco.

If anyone locates it, please post the location here. Thanks!

For anyone's interest....someone in another "topic room" has discovered that the atm's charge 150 baht on his card when he uses it and presses the "English" button... but when his Thai wife uses it ...no Charge. So, the answer is to learn how to use the card without using the English button !!!!

That's interesting, but I always press the English Language button and never been charged.

Edited by pattaya_girl

Just got back from the Ayudhya ATM opposite Foodland - Still no 150 bt charge. (Sept 7th).

Hey PG, good luck for you :)

I used to use the Bank of Ayudhya ATM on Soi Khao Ta Lo, but the last time I was there I got the B150 fee warning screen. I use a USA Visa ATM card.

Hope your luck holds out!

There is a GSB ATM on Second Rd, opposite (sort of) Soi 13/2. I've seen the Aeon ATM at Tesco South, but I've not used it-yet :D

Hey PG, good luck for you :D

I used to use the Bank of Ayudhya ATM on Soi Khao Ta Lo, but the last time I was there I got the B150 fee warning screen. I use a USA Visa ATM card.

Hope your luck holds out!

There is a GSB ATM on Second Rd, opposite (sort of) Soi 13/2. I've seen the Aeon ATM at Tesco South, but I've not used it-yet :D

The GSB did not work for me.

I am thinking the Charge has something to do with the Bank Cards we are using.

Because it is charging some people but not others !!! Wierd. (but still happy) :)

There supposedly are three Aeon ATM and Payment Machines in Pattaya. One was on 2nd floor of the original Lotus Store on Sukhimvit. Last time I looked, it appeared gone. BUT, there is a machine at HomeWorks near Big C on Sukhimvit near Pattaya Tai. The machine is outside the HomeWorks Store. It works, I used it yesterday. They did have a sign, but it switched into Thai before I could read it. But the same message was on their website. NO 150 baht ATM FEE.

PC800,

Thanks for the post! Finally, found an ATM that works for me because of your post :D . UOB of course has not worked for some time; GSB on 2nd street gave me an error message; looked for AEON in Tesco on Suk awhile back but it was gone; and today tried AEON at Homeworks and it worked! I also checked the exchange rate by looking at my bank statement and the rate was the norm.

I really appreciate the info. :)

Barry, Government Savings Bank (GSB) ATMs still accept VISA logo debit cards with no 150 baht ATM fee charged... They have NOT discontinued accepting foreign ATM cards. But, their ATMs have never accepted MasterCard or other non-VISA logo cards.

Their is an aeon Bank at Tesco pattaya Nua, but itr won't be long that they too will either start harging the 150 Baht, or dicontinue foreign ATM cards as GSB did. Best bet is to transfer a yrs worth of money.

Barry

Larry, I haven't seen that post you're referring to below... Can you please post a link to it here...

Indeed, there has been some mystery about some people getting charged and others not at some (mostly seems to have been Bank of Ayudhya) ATMs.... But this is the first I've heard of that kind of explanation... Makes me curious to try and see what happens, if I use Thai language on a fee-charging ATM.

Their is an aeon Bank at Tesco pattaya Nua, but itr won't be long that they too will either start harging the 150 Baht, or dicontinue foreign ATM cards as GSB did. Best bet is to transfer a yrs worth of money.

Barry

i spoke to an AEON area manager today whist i was visiting at the ATM at Tesco Pattaya Nua, at the same time he was

he said that, the fee issue has been discussed at a senior level but AEON have no plans to introduce the 150 baht charge and that foreign credit/debit withdrawals are generally considered low volume business for AEON

i also learned that you can get a whopping 40,000 baht in one go!!

good for you AEON

if i had known that i would have used them a long time ago

every cloud has a silver lining,...........

i also learned that you can get a whopping 40,000 baht in one go!!

every cloud has a silver lining,...........

That is incredible! Before I just thought the maximum amount that BKK Bank and UOB could ejaculate was 25,000 Baht.

This news from AEON means 40,000 Baht in one transaction which is equal to GBP 730 or US$ 1180

Thanks for sharing!