Non-o. Documents Required? Also Passport Expires Soon

I'm getting married to my girlfriend within a couple of months, when all the paperwork with the embassy is in order (am a Danish citizen, FWIW).

I then plan on going to Penang, Malaysia to do a non-O visa, and then later a 1-year extension at the immigration office in Phuket Town. I've read all the threads I could find, but must admit I'm getting a bit confused (different documents needed for marriage, Visa and extension) and still have some questions, trying to find out exactly what I need.

First the initial application, I read this page http://www.thaivisa.com/visa/non-immigrant-visa.html and it states I need the following:

Initial place to contact: An alien must apply for non-immigrant visa "code O" at a Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad before he/she enters the country.

Duration of the first permit: As warranted by this visa, the applicant will receive permission to stay for 90 days. Duration of extension: The Immigration Office will grant that applicant a maximum extension of one year at a time.

Requirements:

1. Application Form T.M. 7.

2. A copy of passport or substitute document.

3. One 4*6 cm. Photo.

4. Marriage certificate.

5. 500 baht fee.

6. Birth certificate (if any). & current medical original certificate (any Thai clinic will do for 30-50 baht).

7. Evidence to identify that the supporter or the one being supported has a Thai nationality or has residence in Thailand.

8. If an alien is the supporter, he must submit financial evidence, proof of employment, work permit and tax receipts.

1-5 is no problem.

6. Is that my birthcertificate they need? Should I have it translated to Thai? Or English? Current medical certificate?? Never heard about that.

7. Is a copy of my wifes ID-card sufficient?

8. My income is from an apartment I rent out in Denmark. Would I typically be able to get a "certificate of income" from my embassy based on that? Or is it better if I present a bankbook with xxx baht in it? If the later, how long should the money have been in the bankbook allready? 2 months, same as with the extension?

Should I bring anything else? Wedding-pictures etc? Or is that only for when applying for the extension?

Now about the extension.

I've seen some posters mention I need my wife's house card. What is that? Is that a document that shows her official address?

And is it a problem that she is not living at her offical address?

Final question:

My passport expires in June next year. I can get a new passport from the Danish Consulat in Phuket, but how does that interact with getting visa and extension? Is it transferred to the new passport or how does that work?

What is your Immigration status now? You may be able to do it without leaving the country.

If you do have to apply In Penang or elsewhere you should not have a problem with a single Non Imm O Visa.

Take Marriage Certificate, Copy of Wife's ID Card and House Registration Document (Tabbien Baan). She will have one.

Once you have the Non O Visa within the last 30 days apply for the 12 month extension at Immigration.

You need. Marriage Certificate. Wife's ID Card and House Registration. Letter from your Embassy verifying your Income of at least 40,000 Baht a month, OR Letter from your bank verifying at least 400,000 Baht i deposit that has to be there for at least 2 months before application. Bank Book showing the same deposit. Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house. A map showing the way to your house. Passport. TM7 application form. Passport size photo. 1,900 Baht fee.

You will then be given a 30 day under consideration stamp. Go bacvk in a month and get the remainder of your extension.

You do not need your Birth Certificate or a Medical Certificate.

Don't forget to take the Wife to be interviewed.

Right now I'm staying here on a normal 60-day tourist visum. If it can be done without leaving the country, please tell me :)

Yes, my wife has her Tabbien Baan. But I read in another post about, since she is registered in Khon Kaen, and we are going to live in Phuket, we could have problems (if they decided to come look at our home to verify the marriage). That's me misunderstanding that? As long as she have the TB then no problem?

I will not need to show any financial documents upon applying for the non-o?

Your permission to stay can be changed to a Non Imm O Visa at Immigration if you have at least 21 days left on it and you qualify for the 12 month extension . 2,000 Baht fee. See Immigration Website here http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...p?page=service# Click on Change Visa and then For a family member of a Thai

It does not matter where your Wife is registered. Many Thais are in their families Tabbien Baan and do not live there.

As far as I know financial requirements are not needed to apply for a single entry Non Imm O Visa at a Thai Consulate But it never hurts to take a bank book just in case if you choose to go that route.

If you convert your Tourist Visa to a Non-O in Thailand then you will need to show your financial documents. You will need more than 21 days left on your current permitted to stay stamp to do it.

It doesn't matter where you and your wife live as they will visit your address and not the address of the TB that she is lited on

Edit: Oops, I was beaten to it.

Edited by Norrad

Right now I'm staying here on a normal 60-day tourist visum. If it can be done without leaving the country, please tell me :)

Yes, my wife has her Tabbien Baan. But I read in another post about, since she is registered in Khon Kaen, and we are going to live in Phuket, we could have problems (if they decided to come look at our home to verify the marriage). That's me misunderstanding that? As long as she have the TB then no problem?

I will not need to show any financial documents upon applying for the non-o?

Hi Beck,

i married 2 weeks ago, and i stay in Phuket too, same visa status as you, 60 days tourist.

I went few days ago to Phuket town immigration and they said to me that i have to go out of the country to make the non imm.O, they are not going to change the visa status from tourist to non imm.O even though in this forum somebody says is possible by law.

I don't know who is right and who is wrong but to avoid any problem i will go to Kuala Lumpur to make the non imm.O.

As far as i know you HAVE to show also your financial documents at time you apply for the non imm.O.

Better in any case you bring everything you have when you'll go to Malaysia (but never heard about birth and health certificate)

Good luck!!

I went few days ago to Phuket town immigration and they said to me that i have to go out of the country to make the non imm.O, they are not going to change the visa status from tourist to non imm.O even though in this forum somebody says is possible by law.

Yes it is possible and is done every day by Immigration.

Maybe you did not have 21 days left on your stay or Phuket Immigration have decided that they will not follow the law. It would not be the first time :)

By reports on here the best place to apply for a Single Non Imm O is Vientienne Laos. No financial proof needed.

Yes it is possible and is done every day by Immigration.

Maybe you did not have 21 days left on your stay or Phuket Immigration have decided that they will not follow the law. It would not be the first time :)

By reports on here the best place to apply for a Single Non Imm O is Vientienne Laos. No financial proof needed.

LiteBeer,

I had 31 days left of my visa, and i know you are right about the change of status, what would you do if you were mine, going there and say " You immigration officer don't know the law or what?" or "ok i'll take a trip out of the country"?

Living here 3 years now, having learned enough about Thailand, i chose the option n.2.

Thank you for your answers.

OK, I'll almost certainly wont be able to make it before the 21 days-mark (visa+extension expires July 6th), as the paperwork with embassy and Thai ministry is far from complete. Actually I wasn't sure I would be able to get married before I had to renew my visa (would then be for another Tourist Visa).

I currently have my funds in a bank account in Denmark. I can wire them to Thailand, and have them in my bank account here for 2 months before applying for an extension, but will it be accepted as financial proof (if they require it) upon the non-O visa application, as it at that point only have been in the account little more than one month (I know, my timing sucks).

In worst case scenario, I guess I'll just get the tourist visa, and then later have it changed. I assume that upon applying for a non-O, they will tell me if my documents are insufficient, so I can change my application to a tourist visa?

My last problem is

My passport expires in June next year. I can get a new passport from the Danish Consulat in Phuket, but how does that interact with getting visa and extension? Is it transferred to the new passport or how does that work?

Thank you for your answers.

OK, I'll almost certainly wont be able to make it before the 21 days-mark (visa+extension expires July 6th), as the paperwork with embassy and Thai ministry is far from complete. Actually I wasn't sure I would be able to get married before I had to renew my visa (would then be for another Tourist Visa).

I currently have my funds in a bank account in Denmark. I can wire them to Thailand, and have them in my bank account here for 2 months before applying for an extension, but will it be accepted as financial proof (if they require it) upon the non-O visa application, as it at that point only have been in the account little more than one month (I know, my timing sucks).

In worst case scenario, I guess I'll just get the tourist visa, and then later have it changed. I assume that upon applying for a non-O, they will tell me if my documents are insufficient, so I can change my application to a tourist visa?

My last problem is

Where are you staying now? They will help in determing whether you can ge a change of visa status or not.

The money does not have to be in the bank for the required amount of time if you do a change of visa status you just have to show the money is there by way of a bank letter and bank book. What they will do is issue you a 90 day non-o and then you go back and get your extension when you have the money in the bank long enough .

My last problem is

No problem getting a visa and entering Thailand as long as your passport is at least 6 monhts valid. Once inside Thailand it doesn't matter to get an extension. Immigraiton will just give you an extension till the date your passpor is valid. When you have a new passport you go back to immigration and they will transfer the extension of stay and details of your visa to your new passport. They do this for free and will also give you the extension for the rest of the year that you didn't get on the old passport.

If you ahve a multiple entry visa you will have to use the old passport in combinaiton with the new passport, as the visa itself is not transfered.

Living here 3 years now, having learned enough about Thailand, i chose the option n.2.

Chicken :) Probably the right choice.

Probably you are right. :D

But,IMHO,sometimes you can,politely,insist on following the,Thai,rules.

The Imm.Officer wont like you,after,but he/she didn't like you before,either. :D

@Ubonjoe

I'm currently staying in Phuket.

So wiring the money down here now should also be enough if they need financial proof, if applying for a non-O in Penang? Or will it be easier for me to just apply for the tourist visa, and then have it changed later?

@Mario

Thank you, I figured it would be something like this.

@Ubonjoe

I'm currently staying in Phuket.

So wiring the money down here now should also be enough if they need financial proof, if applying for a non-O in Penang? Or will it be easier for me to just apply for the tourist visa, and then have it changed later?

@Mario

Thank you, I figured it would be something like this.

If you go to Penang get a single entry non-o to visit you wife. You don't need to show the money for a single entry. Your marriage certificate (plus copy of both sides), copy of wifes house book and ID card.

A non-o is much better because there is no change needed. Just apply for your extension within the last 30 days of your permit to stay.

The information you quoted in first post about using TM.7 was very old extension of stay information and not for obtaining a visa. The price is now 1,900 baht rather than 500 baht and medical certificate is not normally required. The birth certificate would have been for any child you and spouse have.

• 1 month later...
If you convert your Tourist Visa to a Non-O in Thailand then you will need to show your financial documents. You will need more than 21 days left on your current permitted to stay stamp to do it.

It doesn't matter where you and your wife live as they will visit your address and not the address of the TB that she is lited on

Sorry to bring this old topic up again, but one quick question:

Does the 21 days remaining include an extension to my tourist visa? Or is it only for the original visa?

Does the 21 days remaining include an extension to my tourist visa? Or is it only for the original visa?

21 days before the end of your permitted to stay period expires. You can look at your passport for the date stamped "Admitted Until".

21 days before the end of your permitted to stay period expires. You can look at your passport for the date stamped "Admitted Until".

So, yes. When you extend you have a new permission to stay until date and can use that date to have at least 21 days left.