A X N Beyond On True

thaimate

IMHO this is all about money. I bet you that True have decided not to renew the BBC contract because it is too expensive. A majority of their customers are Thai, and they just don't a shit about the British minority.

Remember the farce with the FA Cup? They wouldn't pay for that either.

If you travel around the region you will find that almost no one carries the BBC entertainment channels (including, lifestyle, knowledge etc). The only Channel most countries/hotels carry is BBC World News. I am convinced it is because they are too expensive. Plenty of countries carry Star World - another entertainment channel, but not the BBC one. Another reason is maybe it is difficult to illegally clone :)

BBC Entertainment is available on the Multi choice S African network, but is 5 hours behind Thailand, so most of the better programmes are on very late at night/early morning.

RIP BBC entertainment. It wasn't perfect, and the endless repeats, Weakest Link and now the Dancing competitions drive me around the bend, but it did have some high quality drama and comedies, with very short commercial breaks. Unlike Star World which is almost unwatchable due to interminable commercial breaks which sometimes seem longer than the programmes themselves.

I think True did a good thing. Indeed, their major customers are Thai and Thais like simple entertainment. Anyone thinks they get 'Absolutely Fabulous'?

It's like Internet ... if you don't like it and you think Thai providers should have sympathy for foreigners, then perhaps it's time to go home.

Edited by sniffdog

just got my ubc magazine today ,have any of you seen the dross on the new channel . x files series one, buffy ,its all about 10 years out of date. :)

Can you post a page number where you see this advert. I must have missed something.

just got my ubc magazine today ,have any of you seen the dross on the new channel . x files series one, buffy ,its all about 10 years out of date. :)

Can you post a page number where you see this advert. I must have missed something.

sorry,explain? what advert.

In your post you say you saw something about the "new Channel"? I'm asking where in the magazine does it mention this new channel? Did I miss this why paging through the magazine? Or if I misunderstand you please explain what "dross" means?

In your post you say you saw something about the "new Channel"? I'm asking where in the magazine does it mention this new channel? Did I miss this why paging through the magazine? Or if I misunderstand you please explain what "dross" means?

The chnnel listing for AXN Beyond is not in the main Premiere magazine, its in Premiere Extra, page 8.

Dross means 'worthless material that should be removed' according to WordNet 2.0 dictionary on my IPhone. Very apt in this case.

Ok thanks for the explanation.

I live in Rayong and have True via DSTV. I have never seen or heard of the Extra magazine. I get Premiere every month and I see ads on the telly for AXN Beyond and now I'm guessing it's coming to True Cablevision in Bangkok? That would explain why no mention for the satellite customers.

Ok thanks for the explanation.

I live in Rayong and have True via DSTV. I have never seen or heard of the Extra magazine. I get Premiere every month and I see ads on the telly for AXN Beyond and now I'm guessing it's coming to True Cablevision in Bangkok? That would explain why no mention for the satellite customers.

No mate, it's available all over Thailand - provided you fork out 2000 baht for the "Platinum" package. The Premier extra magazine is posted out with the ordinary Premier mag, if you subscribe to Platinum.

Take my advice, don't bother it's rubbish. I'll be looking into alternatives to True, such as Multichoice, as I've simply had enough of them. Hope this helps.

Ominous that the grand debut of AXN Beyond Hope is a rerun of a 1993 release of the X-Files that was shown repeatedly on UBC Series (without any commercial breaks) a decade or more ago. As was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I wonder how many tortured minutes of congratulatory interruptions would-be viewers will have to endure this time around. AXN, like Star World, does tend to overdo the promos.

Yes, many seemed to have missed the point of what True have done.

There are any number of existing channels that carry all this American stuff. I am am nit saying if it is good or bad, as it certainly attracts an audience and good luck to them.

But there is so much of this kind of stuff on True, and to get rid of BBC and replace it by yet another channel which carries re-run American kids' oriented material is a joke. I bet the cost of this channel is next to nothing compared to BBC Entertainment.

It is all about money, believe me.

There are any number of existing channels that carry all this American stuff. I am am nit saying if it is good or bad, as it certainly attracts an audience and good luck to them.

But there is so much of this kind of stuff on True, and to get rid of BBC and replace it by yet another channel which carries re-run American kids' oriented material is a joke. I bet the cost of this channel is next to nothing compared to BBC Entertainment.

Could be wrong, but I personally believe the original inclusion of BBC Entertainment was bait to get people upgrading from Gold to Platinum packages. Pay for it for a few years, then once a number were locked in by 12 months contracts, drop the channels and hope they don't downgrade...

Conspiracy mind on one today :)

Could be wrong, but I personally believe the original inclusion of BBC Entertainment was bait to get people upgrading from Gold to Platinum packages. Pay for it for a few years, then once a number were locked in by 12 months contracts, drop the channels and hope they don't downgrade...

it was the only reason that we went platinum,not locked in for 12 months so back to gold.

Well it's still about money.

I'm not convinced on your theory because I don't think they are smart enough to be that Machiavellian. And don't forget that in those days it was still owned by UBC, with presumably different management.

I completely agree that they attracted a lot of customers to Platinum (including me) because it included BBC Entertainment and Star World. This was when they reorganised all the packages (Platinum, Gold etc), and needed something special to attract the high end farangs etc with too much money to spend.

I reckon that since the take over by True, they have reviewed the cost of all the channels and decided to dump BBC E as it probably costs ten times more than the AXN rubbish.

They have also spent huge sums of money on the English Premier League and need to make savings elsewhere.

I don't think True is in profit yet, so they will certainly be looking at all possible cost saving options.

The trouble is that they don't understand the business they are in, and don't understand that they are pissing off a lot of customers, such as me, who will CANCEL True completely and go illegal with Multichoice etc.

They are not selling nuts and bolts, or washing machines, where they can cut out the costly or upmarket low selling versions from their product range and still sell with impunity.

Remember the farce with the FA Cup? They wouldn't pay for that either.

That has been sorted out, they've got all the rights now, inlcuding England World Cup games, apparently.

Yes it was sorted out just in time for us 'lucky' Nottingham Forest and non Premier league fans to see the later rounds - containing Manchester United and the other Premier league teams - lucky lucky me - another chance to see the Man U second team in action - they don't even bother putting out their first team for this 'minor' competition :)

That and no more BBCE - was enough - I cancelled UBC this month. :D

I will investigate the Internet options and I have another large satellite dish in my garden I never use and will get working.

If you dont like UBC - then vote with your feet - anc cancel.

I'd quite like to see the original X Files series again.

I dont want to fill my PC up with them though, or install a huge dish in my garden, nope no thanks, nor waste bandwidth streaming TV

So this is good for me, plus Im pretty sure my wife never saw it too and I guess that'll be the case for many Thais.

I dont want to fill my PC up with them though, or install a huge dish in my garden, nope no thanks, nor waste bandwidth streaming TV

So this is good for me, plus Im pretty sure my wife never saw it too and I guess that'll be the case for many Thais.

You are very lucky then quicksilva - because you and your wife are about to get your wish - I suspect you will be lucky enough to see lots and lots of re-runs of many old films as well :)

I must say - getting this dish working will be a challenge - its big and supposed to rotate - no doubt I will be posting on other threads asking for help to get it working

Edited by dsfbrit

why waste money paying for platinum just to watch some crappy old x files ,you can buy them cheaper on dvd copys.

IMHO this is all about money. I bet you that True have decided not to renew the BBC contract because it is too expensive. A majority of their customers are Thai, and they just don't a shit about the British minority.

The difference between the Gold and Platinum packages would probably appeal only to expats. Not much in add-ons in Platinum that would appeal to Thais. I'm not British (and don't give a shit about them either), but have enjoyed BBC Entertainment. Still, about 99% of what's available now on BBCE is repeats of what was available the previous 6 months and in decades past.

Even if BBCE had continued, when renewal time comes I would still have gone back to Gold. I love both the comedies and mystery shows on BBCE, but after seeing each episode numerous times I can almost recite the dialogue. The Vicar of Dibley and Absolutely Fabulous episodes, for example, must have been made when Thatcher was PM.

...I love both the comedies and mystery shows on BBCE, but after seeing each episode numerous times I can almost recite the dialogue...

Me too. I also know ALL the answers to the Weakest Link questions.

True Visions customer base is primarily the surfs who will take what they can get for free. They have no money hence they do not contribute to the bottom line of True Visions or CP Group. The True Visions monopoly in urban Thailand does make money from the Platinum, Gold, Silver and lead packages using 90's marketing schemes and silly add-on packages to their substandard content packages.

I believe that there was something called BBC Prime when I first signed up for the Platinum package. The shows were only about a year old and topical. Then at some point the BBC changed to Entertainment and BAM every show got older by five years. Now the BBC Entertainment has been replaced by AXN Beyond which are shows from America from mainly created in the early 90's. The actors can hardly lift their giant mobile telephones and their computers look funny. Buffy and the Dark Angel look like teenagers.

Make no mistake. The continuing criminal enterprise called True Visions would be indicted, dismantled and the board of directors would be jailed in a civilized country. The movie channels we pay for run movies that were free on TV in the USA and are passed off as theatrical releases to customers of this monopoly. They do not show much if it costs them money to buy content. True Visions is so full of themselves that they show coming attractions of what is available in nearby countries and ask us to call our satellite service provider if we want to subscribe. I call, where I'm told those on-screen messages are not for us.

To effect change everyone should complain about something everyday. We do have access to Fox News if you want it you just have to subscribe to True's IPTV service which will give you on-demand karaoke too. This failed internet experiment just will not die! So let me get this straight. I get a box to hook up to my internet modem to hook up to my TV which already has your box (I have three actually) and I can get more channels? Why not let me buy what I want using my subscription and my 3 existing boxes?

Thailand - Burma with Electricity

Platinum channel 40 .... NFL Football, NCAA Football & Basketball. NFL Playoff games, NCAA BCS series ............ that is why I upgraded .... and No, it was not for Pro Bull Riding ...

wallyc

I already have platinum, but if I didn't I would have upgraded as well. I am not into AXN Beyond (although Dark Angel has Jessica Alba which is a plus), nor was I into BBC Entertainment. Like you, I am into NFL and NCAA football and basketball. Incidentally, my kid loves some of the shows on Nickelodeon, which also came with this change. For us, it is a big win, but then we are not British. For the Brits, isn't 40 soccer games a week enough?

Not all Brits are obsessed by football. Most, though, liked the shows carried by BBC Entertainment, as did my Thai wife. That's why we downgraded from Platinum to Gold today.

Pity they couldn't have kept BBC Entertainment as an optional add-on (a la carte) channel. I'm sure they would not have lost money by doing so and would have retained the goodwill of their loyal customers. We have subscribed for more than a decade and this is the first and only time we have had reason to complain about their service.