What Is Your Favourite Restaurant In Chiang Mai?

sassienie

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has any body tried that Thai restaurant i think it is called gow gow gow (999) at the end of Muan Muang (Forgive the spelling) and right on the corner just before you turn in to Soi 9.

Loads of pictures on the walls every where and the menu is picture heaven i tend to like pictures alough i realize what you see is not necessarily what you get, but i have never been disappointed with the food Thai or Farrng, and the amount one gets is more than enough.

I think the owners have been there years i seem to remember they are the same people who where there in 2002/3 when i first went there.

Service is a little slow even when there is a handful of customers in (Best to take a book )

parking used to be a problem, it took me 3 years to realize there was parking lot round the back of the place.

Just wondering if any body else has eaten there and what they think of the place as far as food, quantity, value, and service are concerned.

isn't the Blah Blah Bar spelled Blar Blar Bar?

Possibly.

In fact, yes, I think you're right, but if you google it, you'll find websites using both spellings, I just copied the spelling from here

One thing I do know for sure though is how to spell 'pedantic'. :)

Sorry, this was more of a musing about the Engrish and not your memory! :D

Kinda like how many places of business have open 10:00am-12:00pm

Great new place is Xanadu (rooftop of Hillside 5 off Huay Kaew). Stunning stunning panoramic sunset views. In June they have a Heineken draught promotion - all you can drink from 6-9 p.m. for 199 baht per person, or was it 119? something like that - but the food is SERIOUSLY pricey, so go for the beer!

Great new place is Xanadu (rooftop of Hillside 5 off Huay Kaew). Stunning stunning panoramic sunset views. In June they have a Heineken draught promotion - all you can drink from 6-9 p.m. for 199 baht per person, or was it 119? something like that - but the food is SERIOUSLY pricey, so go for the beer!

I think its 119.

When I went there was a group of drunk Thais at the next table (enjoing the beer promotion) and the manager came over and profusely apologised for their behaviour and moved us to a different table. We had a fantastic meal at 650 baht for 2. Some of the main dishes are expensive, but there are cheaper alternatives.

Personally I think the view from 360 Restaurant (soi 5 - 7 Nimmanhamein) is a bit better as you can see more from your table, but the food is not as good and there is no live music.

"When I went there was a group of drunk Thais at the next table (enjoing the beer promotion) and the manager came over and profusely apologised for their behaviour and moved us to a different table."

Probably just a group of Canadian-Americans passing themselves off as Thai. You know how clever they can be.

my favorite restaurants are Franco Thai and lemongrass

What/where is Franco Thai?

had to copy the adress from an other thread

Franco restaurant is behind Icon Plaza,(next to Computer Plaza).

Franco-Thai place Restaurant

19/3 Soi 3

Maneenoparat Road.T. Sriphum

A.Muang Chiangmai 50000

Tel:- 0898556697

19/3 Soi 3

A.Muang Chiangmai 50000

Thanks Lexiani, what sort of food, prices etc.

19/3 Soi 3

A.Muang Chiangmai 50000

Thanks Lexiani, what sort of food, prices etc.

they have thai and western food

steaks, fondue, raclette and other things

to the steaks (beef, chicken, pork) you can choose rice, pasta, mashpatatoes or french fries and you allways get a small salad.

beef steak is 159.- chicken and pork i think 139.- but im not sure about that.

I love the beef steak with mushroom sauce and mashp. i'm going there tonight again.

they have thai and western food

steaks, fondue, raclette and other things

to the steaks (beef, chicken, pork) you can choose rice, pasta, mashpatatoes or french fries and you allways get a small salad.

beef steak is 159.- chicken and pork i think 139.- but im not sure about that.

I love the beef steak with mushroom sauce and mashp. i'm going there tonight again.

Sounds good, I'll put it on my restaurant's to do list :)

Has any body tried that Thai restaurant i think it is called gow gow gow (999) at the end of Muan Muang (Forgive the spelling) and right on the corner just before you turn in to Soi 9.

Loads of pictures on the walls every where and the menu is picture heaven i tend to like pictures alough i realize what you see is not necessarily what you get, but i have never been disappointed with the food Thai or Farrng, and the amount one gets is more than enough.

I think the owners have been there years i seem to remember they are the same people who where there in 2002/3 when i first went there.

Service is a little slow even when there is a handful of customers in (Best to take a book )

parking used to be a problem, it took me 3 years to realize there was parking lot round the back of the place.

Just wondering if any body else has eaten there and what they think of the place as far as food, quantity, value, and service are concerned.

Not very good, to be polite.

On the subject of worst restaurants, has anyone visited the Irish pub recently?

3 months ago I took the wife in there for a meal. It was a pleasant day not too hot so we decided to sit outside in the garden. We were the only customers in the restaurant at that time.

7 minutes later a young girl approached our table wearing a dirty stained tee shirt and jeans. She literally threw a menu on the table then walked off.

My wife and I looked at the menu and decided what we wished to order. When I looked inside, there was no staff in sight. So we just got up and walked out.

1 month later I visited the Irish pub again with a friend. Again we were the only customers in the restaurant. This was about 2.00 in the afternoon. We noticed that things had been changed around since our last visit. Many tables and chairs had been cleared leaving a large area of open space inside the restaurant towards the bar. Only a few remained near the front entrance.

The girl serving us acted if she was doing us a favour and had a look of, I cant really be bothered doing this look on a face. Anyway, we ordered our food. First thing we noticed that the quality of the food had gone way down hill since our previous visits. Our main course of Shepard’s pie was luke warm with an bread crumb type crust on top that was hard, like something that had been heated up too many times and lost it’s texture.

We half finished our meals, paid and went.

Never been back since.

Never had a bad meal at Krua Nimman in that strange square opposite Hillside 4, Huay Keauw Rd. Extensive menu with daily specials, interesting Thai food, pleasant service & good value. My Thai friends also rate it. :thumbsup

On the subject of worst restaurants, has anyone visited the Irish pub recently?

3 months ago I took the wife in there for a meal. It was a pleasant day not too hot so we decided to sit outside in the garden. We were the only customers in the restaurant at that time.

7 minutes later a young girl approached our table wearing a dirty stained tee shirt and jeans. She literally threw a menu on the table then walked off.

My wife and I looked at the menu and decided what we wished to order. When I looked inside, there was no staff in sight. So we just got up and walked out.

1 month later I visited the Irish pub again with a friend. Again we were the only customers in the restaurant. This was about 2.00 in the afternoon. We noticed that things had been changed around since our last visit. Many tables and chairs had been cleared leaving a large area of open space inside the restaurant towards the bar. Only a few remained near the front entrance.

The girl serving us acted if she was doing us a favour and had a look of, I cant really be bothered doing this look on a face. Anyway, we ordered our food. First thing we noticed that the quality of the food had gone way down hill since our previous visits. Our main course of Shepard’s pie was luke warm with an bread crumb type crust on top that was hard, like something that had been heated up too many times and lost it’s texture.

We half finished our meals, paid and went.

Never been back since.

i went last week with friends from aussie,as they wanted some english food beef and guiness pie i think,wernt very impressed, with quality of nosh

Very good Thai food, I think. Farang food definitely can be passed on. I don't eat out much for Thai food as the wife is such a talented cook, but when I do, I go here. Because of location and target market the Thai food is a bit more expensive than many places but worth it.

Same owner as from 1999 and before, not sure how far back.

The Pasta Cafe

Soi 5, Nimmanahaeminda Road

Has outdoor and indoor seating. Set in beutiful location. The food (mostly Italian) is the best and most consistant in Chiang Mai. Try the superb salads or the nightly specials. Try a steak (beef from San Kampang) This is the best steak you will find in northern Thailand. We have been customers for 5 years and have never had a disappointing meal. They also serve Thai food.

Very good Thai food, I think. Farang food definitely can be passed on. I don't eat out much for Thai food as the wife is such a talented cook, but when I do, I go here. Because of location and target market the Thai food is a bit more expensive than many places but worth it.

Same owner as from 1999 and before, not sure how far back.

I went there with some Thais who were visiting from Bangkok and they said it was the worst Thai food they had ever had. It is Thai food geared for farang backpackers staying in nearby guesthouses that can't handle the spices and chili used in real Thai cooking. For authentic Thai food, that would be the last place to recommend.

I went there with some Thais who were visiting from Bangkok and they said it was the worst Thai food they had ever had. It is Thai food geared for farang backpackers staying in nearby guesthouses that can't handle the spices and chili used in real Thai cooking. For authentic Thai food, that would be the last place to recommend.

Well that settles it... if you are a Thai from Bangkok, or otherwise predisposed to snobbery, then give the place a pass. But if you're eating with your own mouth, not some fop's from down country, then go there and decide for yourself.

"Like" as in enjoy their company. You are talking about people's pets! :D

Don't knock "Pooch Pie" unless you've tried it. "Slab of Lab" is also good if it comes from a young animal. I can't say I'm fond of "Flat cat" because there's usually too much hair mixed in the meat. :):D