What Is Your Favourite Restaurant In Chiang Mai?

sassienie

WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE RESTAURANT IN CHIANG MAI?

Also which restaurant do you consider to be the worst in Chiang Mai?

I’ll start the ball rolling.

My favourite restaurant is Cheerful Charlie’s Fish and Chips.

The restaurant I consider to be the worst is, The Pub.

Only interested in hearing from members who have visited Chiang Mai restaurants as customers and not from restaurant proprietors who wish to promote their businesses.

Edited by sassienie

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start the ball rolling.

My favourite restaurant is Cheerful Charlie's Fish and Chips.

Only interested in hearing from members who have visited Chiang Mai restaurants as customers and not from restaurant proprietors who wish to promote their businesses.

Is this a joke? I don't believe anyone could think Cheerful Charlie's is the best restaurant in Chiang Mai.

Is this a joke? I don't believe anyone could think Cheerful Charlie's is the best restaurant in Chiang Mai.

If you read his post carefully, he never said it was the best, only his favorite.

Sassienie said ... "MY" favourite restaurant is Cheerful Charlie’s Fish and Chips. Not everyone's favourite restaurant. The question was what is "YOUR" favourite restaurant, not what is the "BEST" restaurant. I've got a little Thai cafe I enjoy and they give me a double portion of Kow Pad with a bowl of nice soup for only 30 baht, but it would hardly qualify for being a best restaurant.

Just name the place that you like and that is all that's needed. And, if there is a place that you DON'T like then name it also with a valid reason why. I personally choose to dine in the cheaper places, so as a connoisseur of fine dining establishments I am a total bust, and have no idea of what is good value for the money spent.

Depends what you like and what your taste is ... and we are all different .....If you like Fish And Chips yeah it's possible that Charlie's is the best .....although I have never tried " Cheerful Charlies" but have seen it announced a lot and will try it now ...soon ...Thanks !! Rimping Airport has a great litle "Fish and Chips " place run by a Thai guy who spent a lot of time in England and offers Shrimps, Cod, and whatever with Chips and it is quite good and well priced in my opinion for a quick lunch and if the heat is bearable to sit outside as there is no inside seating

Sooooooo GUYS... GIRLS ....!!!!

Can we keep this as a really interesting, nice and pleasant thread without comments about other posters choices and just list your favorites by country food ( Italian , French , American , British ...whatever ) and carry on with out critisizing each others choices so it doesn't become another super painfull reading exercise and we can just get a general opinion of what is the best and what is the worst and where??? And then , Mr. Brilliant who started this post ...do you have a way to compile the info and put it into votes and list the Best and the Worst by Country food types, based on comments here and the choices ...like american idol but let's call it Chinag mai resto Idols ....??? :D:)

Ok about Italian ...... Casa Antonio or Georgio's or his other restaurant Georgio's... that is my Favorite Italian restaurant ...Worst Italian restaurant and I really feel bad saying this but is Billy's ... He is trying really hard but sorry ...far , far away from the real Italian stuff even though he worked at Buenissimo's for many years .....has a long way to go !! And if I had the time , I would sit down with him and tell him why BUt...would it matter ...??

French food ....ummm... Chez Marco, now for sure but not a year ago when he started ,,,had many heated discussions with the young ram and some of it finally sank in. His mother is a jewel who comes here for a couple of months now and then ......and now I think he is tops !!!..Other than him, there are the super expensive ones which I have not yet tried but they have been around for a long time so must be good and have heard very good reviews about them = "Crystal" a little newer perhaps and now has still expensive but more affordable "Set menus" and from what I hear is delicious , Chez Daniel an old one in Chiang Mai and Le Coq D'Or all of which none I have tried but heard of ....I have however tried "Cote Jardin" near De Naga Hotel and although a little pricey, the food is delicious and worth it. I also tried Franco Thai which is very reasonnable priced and selected items are very good but not all...must be selected items...the carpaccio de carne to be avoided at all costs especially for Italians ....Fondues, which they are one of the few restaurants offerinf=g this delicious item is GREAT value and excellent ....especially the Raclette ....Try it ....it's sooo good!

More later as I can go on and on being a food lver and having tried many restaurant here in Chiang Mai ,,,, but nce again it is Cinderella time ....good nite!!

Ok guys , carry on

my favourite is jj's because of the nice breakfast, especially the rolls, the helpful and friendly owner, and the sweet ladies that cook and work there. i always feel welcome there. and now that i am back in canada, waiting for the 143 days till i return to thailand, i have only a picture i took there to keep me company at breakfast! :-)

OK places I dreadfully miss some eateries in CM. Excuse the poor spelling please.

Choom Pae The Moo Katah on the corner of Changpuak and Tapae. Best one in the city hands down.

Busaba, a cart behind CMU (white thai script on red background)

The best slushies made by a guy right near busaba

Warm Up has some great food.

Lemon Tree (both branches)

Kin Kai, best friend chicken ever

The Thai food place next to Kin Kai (at DK)

The bacon wrapped hotdogs, babin, and Kanom krohg outside suriwong book center.

Nantaram Camon Gai (I probably butched camon gai...) Both near Wat Nantaram and even in Robinson's food court.

Smoked pork on walking street in the temple near tapae, back in the corner next to the awesome kao lam.

iBerry for icecream

Cafe De Nimmen

Brownie house for buffet.

love at first bite for a cake fix

That little beef noodle place on the corner inside the moat near the corner with the bike shop on your way to chang puak gate. The wife says it's very famous. (great taptim glarb)

BBQ chicken at the T intersection near Payap Divinity

Midnight chicken for some 2am fried chicken, pig intestines and sticky rice.

Any place that can make great kao neeow biak or taptim glarb

Ok now I am really hungry....

As far as farang run restaurants, the only one I visited regularly was Buenissimo which I enjoyed.

The Duke's was meh, don't understand the worship

I would get a burger or pizza fix once or twice a month whereever

Hard to think of a favourite but if I use the most often visited criteria, then it has to be Darets house, nothing there is great (actually the pad kee mao is pretty great) but I can have a combination Thai/farang meal, fruit shake, club sandwhich and tom yum goong, burger and cold beer at a decent price, good service, watch the world go by.

My least favorites are three very trendy "fusian" type restaurants - each with a nice atmosphere - that IMHO do a really lousy job of combining unusual flavors and textures and tend towards tiny portions of over-priced food that is very hit or miss in the taste department.

My favourite place to eat with friends is one I can't remember the name of. It is a big Thai place where you cook your own food from a big buffet of meats and vegetables. They place a coal fired cooker on the table that has a soup broth around the outside. You place pork, chicken, beef, shrimp on the grill above and add the other stuff to the broth. Then there is all the fresh fruit and veggies to eat raw. The beer is cheap and so is Coke and other soft drinks. It all costs about 120 baht and you can eat as much as you like. It's a great place to go with Thai friends.

The place is just outside the moat at the north east corner.

As far as I remember it used to be the cheapest moo kata in the centre of CM (59 bahts). I was a regular (before I moved to the countryside). BUT the (crap) music was often too loud. Depending on the table and its proximity to the huge speakers, it was sometimes impossible to have a conversation, even a stupid one. Has it changed?

Also the one near the southwest corner, quieter, solo musical performers and good quality 130B, I love those places for the first hour or so.... if you you go with locals they will want to stay longer and really get their moneys worth, amazing how much food a 40kilo girl can put away. I have to limit my visits there though, how can you not overeat?

Edited by daoyai

Ghias Kitchen - spicy chicken and mash

Blue Diamond - very cheap, fast service, HUGE portions

Ton Wah - tasty and cheap

Leela noodle - the best kuay di yao tom yam in town

also -

Hindlay curry

Lemontree

Coffe Lovers

Le Spice

Girasole Italian

Also the one near the southwest corner, quieter, solo musical performers and good quality 130B, I love those places for the first hour or so.... if you you go with locals they will want to stay longer and really get their moneys worth, amazing how much food a 40kilo girl can put away. I have to limit my visits there though, how can you not overeat?

Yes!!

That's also me and my wife favourite, specially if sitting far from music.

Worst for me Pizza Hut, Pizza co. etc. expensive disgusting things americans call "pizza".

As far as I remember it used to be the cheapest moo kata in the centre of CM (59 bahts). I was a regular (before I moved to the countryside). BUT the (crap) music was often too loud. Depending on the table and its proximity to the huge speakers, it was sometimes impossible to have a conversation, even a stupid one. Has it changed?

I think that I confused the one at the north east corner with the one at the north west corner (Maneenoparat Rd).

By the way, is there a "moo kata" at every corner? :)

Edited by MonsieurHulot

Where is the Lemon Tree? What is it like?

Would the "hole in the wall" across from Thapae Gate be Silom Joy? It is wonderful considering its prices.

The Lemon Tree is almost opposite Kad Suan Kaew - an unpretentious Thai restaurant that serves excellent Thai food.

Yes, it's probably Silom Joy - I've never noticed the name.

Any relation to the Lemon Tree restaurant opposite the Shell Gas Station a bit up from Central on Huay Kaew?

They do really good Thai food.

Lot's of gay people seem to visit though, no clue why.

Yes, that's the one. It's full of gay people cos we have good taste :)

The second Lemon Tree is located on the cut through owned by CMU near Nimmen. The road that the gates close at like 9pm. There is a white building with a circle driveway at the front, Lemon tree is in this complex.

There are differences in taste between the two restaurants due to different chefs. I love both, but some dishes I prefer at one or the other restaurant.

I've got a soft spot for the Salsa Kitchen, one of the farang restaurants that I'll always take visitors from the UK to, the wife likes it to, it's reasonably priced and always pretty consistant in service and food.

I'm not going to reveal the worst - only went the once and maybe they were having a bad day - it might not even be there anymore but I eventually got served after reading the whole of the Bangkok Post., Ordering a Cheese and Bacon Burger, thirty minutes later arrived a bun with Bacon, Cheese and no Burger :)

Sunday lunch at the Holiday Inn is by far my favourite, with Palad Tawanron a close second on special occasions- serenading buskers, just marvellous!

Aroon Rai which seems to feature highly in every guide book really is my choice for the 'booby prize'. It' so overated and outdated. If it wasn't for it's out of date reviews and location, it could well be empty of tourists.

10 minutes walk away on Ratchamanka is Huen Phen, 5 times the atmosphere, 5 times more choice, full on service and keen prices.

Bon appetit

Bojo

bojoPosted Today, 2009-05-27 21:23:41

10 minutes walk away on Ratchamanka is Huen Phen

Is that the AUA street or the UN Irish Pub street or the street inside the moat that intersects with Loi Kroh road? Could you point out where Huen Phen is? :)

Nawng Nit's place near the morning market in Mae Rim.

Has three tables; each has about 4 plastic stools for sitting. Great view of the highway and a car repair shop.

Wonderful Kao Sawy and Gwaytiow and a friendly smile for every customer. Bring your own umbrella in the raint season.

Cheap. Serves cold beer.

Take-out available.

Huen Phen is fabulous value day time but don't be tempted to go at night when food is served in the teak house beside. It's on Ratchamanka which is straight across from Loy Kroh inside the moat. It's an easy 10 minute stroll from the moat and you'll see it on the right hand side on a corner but can't recall the side soi name.

bojoPosted Today, 2009-05-27 21:23:41
10 minutes walk away on Ratchamanka is Huen Phen

Is that the AUA street or the UN Irish Pub street or the street inside the moat that intersects with Loi Kroh road? Could you point out where Huen Phen is? :)

It's your third option if memory serves me right but right at the top end.

Concur with the previous poster as well that Aroon Rai is pretty rubbish I was fooled into eating here by the Lonely Planet guidebook back in the day but soon learn't there was a lot better out there.