The Indian Gentleman In Robinson Food Court, Sukhumvit

Livinginexile

Poor guy probably had an easy, peaceful life until today. Why not get a life and leave the guy the #### alone?

What daft melodrama. You speak as if his life will be drastically changed this day forward. As if thousands of TV posters will be harrassing him and following him night and day. A little perspective please. He's been the subject of a thread that no doubt will disappear in a few days and forgotten about. It's just an obscure discussion on an obscure forum in an even more obscure thread - yet you speak as if he'll be the next Princess Diana - chased by papparazi to an early death.

P.S. If you have a life why waste it telling other people to get one - surely there are better things to do? No?

What a bunch of. .. MINDLESSNESS EDITED FOR CLARITY :)

I see the "judge, jury and executioner" of all things thai has weighed in with a satang's worth of unwanted words of wisdom.

As I said; I've seen that guy almost every day for the last 4 years; he's always keeps to himself, although I've seen other "indian-ish" people sitting with him on occasion. Just last week when I was leaving Tops Market I noticed he had 3 empty bottles of wine and 4 big empty beer bottles on his table. He can really polish it off, but he always keeps to himself, and when he leaves he's remarkably stable for having imbibed that amount of alcohol.

In answer to the illustrious poster known as Soutpeel: it wouldn't bother me one iota if I tried to engage him in conversation and he told me to "<deleted> off". He'd be filed into the category of: "just another f*cked-up foreigner" here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais". It will come as no surprise here in thailand; that category has quite a lot of people filed in it.

Sadly with Soutpeel being neither my father nor someone with even a modicum of say in my life, the stern admonishment to "leave him alone" falls on deaf ears. Last time I checked, I pretty much I do what I want here; neither seeking permission nor approval, especially from anonymous posters on an internet forum.

If he's there tonite when I go to Top's, I'll see if I can get him to acknowledge me with a reciprocal hello or at the very least a nod of the head. It'd be progress, and here I measure progress in baby steps. .. :D

Sounds like you are in love with him.

P.S. If you have a life why waste it telling other people to get one - surely there are better things to do? No?

It was 2am after a 12 hr work day, so if I want to comment on some weird fetish a few guys have for old Indian men, I'm certainly entitled. I'd love to see the reaction if you became an object of obsession for a group of weirdos on one of the local Thai boards, with them showing up to gawk at your private life?

Sounds like you are in love with him.

I think it's more of a crush. It will pass. :)

It was 2am after a 12 hr work day, so if I want to comment on some weird fetish a few guys have for old Indian men, I'm certainly entitled. I'd love to see the reaction if you became an object of obsession for a group of weirdos on one of the local Thai boards, with them showing up to gawk at your private life?

If you see someone behaving in way that you find different/mysterious/strange, and you happen to mention this to other people, it doesn't mean you are judging him, it doesn't mean you are harrassing him, it doesn't mean you are a weirdo with a fetish or an obssession and it doesn't mean you are going to be stalking this individual.

All it means is that you are a little intrigued. That's a healthy thing. It shows you have an interest in others.

Don't take it all so negatively, and don't be in such a rush to write people off as having no lives.

Mrs. Balbirs husband.

Seen him in there for 2 decades.

That's not the only place he imbibes. He is a regular at a coffee shop on Soi 11 too.

He sits there for hours, leans against a pole and downs a half dozen large Heinekens.

Mr. Pole they call him.

don't be in such a rush to write people off as having no lives.

Of course not. I carefully considered all the facts I had at hand and then decided that the persons in question had no lives. :)

I know the man. Seen him around suk soi 11/1 for the last ten years.- I think he used to own the 'villa' market at the end of soi 11/1 as well as the resturant and a tailor shop. I alwasy nod hello when I see him. Seems like a nice guy.

Pretty sure he is a Indian Thai citizen.

I know the man. Seen him around suk soi 11/1 for the last ten years.- I think he used to own the 'villa' market at the end of soi 11/1 as well as the resturant and a tailor shop. I alwasy nod hello when I see him. Seems like a nice guy.

Pretty sure he is a Indian Thai citizen.

There you go....mystery solved. :)

Edited by Livinginexile

I hope I will have the mystery salved very soon, I asked some Indian gentleman I know.

My Indian friend don't know him , but he got intrigued also, so he will ask around in the Indian community. one way or another we will find out his background very soon;

Edited by henryalleman

Amazing how some know-it-alls have already classified him as a foreigner. Pretty arrogant, if you ask me.

Intuitively, I reckon his family goes back further back then we can count. This can be more common than not in reference to cross-Asian bloodlines and families in Thailand. Indian and Persian historic families go way back and have been quite influential.