Fastest Increase In Land Value In History?

CWMcMurray

Wife received a call from her father yesterday saying that he heard that someone in a bordering Moo Baan was trying to sell a small plot of land. In Saraburi province just out side of Muak-Lek, about 1/2 Rai (no Chanote).

The guy was asking 35-40 k, which seems like a realatively cheap price. We are not actively looking to buy land, but hey if a bargain is offered it makes sense to buy...

So we told her father sure go talk to him and we will drive up this weekend to take a look at it and make an appoinment with the Pu Yai Baan.

Just got a call a few minutes ago from the wife. It turns out the the guy found out that the son-in-Law was a foreigner (me). He then told the wife's father that the price just went up to 150,000 thb.

Obviously we will not be buying any property...

You should feign interest in buying the land – and tell him you need to ‘think about it’ for a while’.

If you get the act right, while you are ‘thinking about it’ him and his family will be making wild plans of what they are going to do with all that extra money they are going to extract out of the witless farang.

Bit of luck they’ll throw a party to celebrate their luck.

The loss of face possibilities are enormous.

Same thing happenned to me. We were visiting some of my wifes relatives near Maha Sarakham when the wife noticed an ad for cheap land (50K a Rai). She called up the owner, confirmed the price and arranged a meeting. The minute I stepped out of the car there was a huge smile on the owners face and the price went up to 250K. She confronted the owner about why he lied on the phone and he came up with all sorts of excuses about how he had already sold the advertised plot and was now selling the one next door that looked like the worse of the two.

You should feign interest in buying the land – and tell him you need to ‘think about it’ for a while’.

If you get the act right, while you are ‘thinking about it’ him and his family will be making wild plans of what they are going to do with all that extra money they are going to extract out of the witless farang.

...the hate possibilities are enormous too.

Better tell him you will buy the land...for the 40k. If the price will be higher, you don't. It's tricky too, because now the father is on the edge of loosing his face.

On the other hand 80k per rai in the fields without a chanot or nor sor sam seems not exceptional cheap.

You should feign interest in buying the land – and tell him you need to 'think about it' for a while'.

If you get the act right, while you are 'thinking about it' him and his family will be making wild plans of what they are going to do with all that extra money they are going to extract out of the witless farang.

Bit of luck they'll throw a party to celebrate their luck.

I like the way you think...

I think this was a real eye opener for her father... my guess was that he was just making small talk and didn't think anything of mentioning the fact.

If the situation ever presents itself again in the future, I am sure that he would not mention the fact until the papers are all signed.

My in-laws are in the process of buying extra land nearby their house, and out of curiosity we wanted to have a look at the plot of land.

The MIL made it very clear that no-one was allowed outside of the car, especially the Farang.

I did that to the motorcycle store near my old apartment, the man hates me to this day.

Serves him right for trying to sell me a 10 year old NSR150 for 60000 Baht.

Thats what the father actually did(told him we would only buy at 40k)... we'll see if he ends up coming back and advising he will sell at the original price.

Haven't been to see it yet, but from my understanding it is not in the fields it is right on the paved road and already has Electricity/water meter. The area is fast developing and Muek Lek is very popular location for Thai tourists and vacation homes for the Thai upper class.

From what I have heard the local ampur just hasn't gotten around to issuing chanotes for most of the land in the area, but they will eventually.

From talking to my wife and her father the 100,000-150,00 thb for 1/2 rai is about the market rate for the area if it had a chanote.

Edited by CWMcMurray

My in-laws are in the process of buying extra land nearby their house, and out of curiosity we wanted to have a look at the plot of land.

The MIL made it very clear that no-one was allowed outside of the car, especially the Farang.

Very astute mil, only she and her family use the farang as ATM! The seller of the land needs to find his own! A farang willing to buy land in thailand is an asset not to be taken advantage of by outsiders.

Btw, can a farang actually own land in his name?

Edited by piglet373

sounds like the father is in on it, now.

daughter to follow and then OP next...

Not really... neither her father or my wife have any interest at buying at this price.

The only reason why I know the value of the land with/witrhout chanote was from conversation I had the father -in-law about a year ago. He was saying how much he wished he hadn't sold off some land around 10 years ago. It was from his mother (out of 4 brother's he was the only that didn't want to sell off the inheritance, but he said they either had to keep it all or sell it all abd he was out voted)

He was saying that around 10 years ago it was only worth around 6k per rai (Sia Dia, Sia Dai). He said the reason why it has increased so much had to do with the large number of folks from Bangkok wanting to buy up land for vacation homes and that some of the areas now have chanotes. Also upto around 6 years ago there were almost no paved roads or civilization to speak of.

Your MIL is a very very wise woman.

We always look out for land on our own and then get my Thai wife to meet the owner, they don't get to see me untill after we have the full chanote and the land has been transfered.

You will save a lot of money, if you do it that way.

i would actually throw a little party

nothing to expensive a few hundred baht

invite him and his friends and family

then show him the money then tell him to take a good look

because he will never see it again

A few months ago on a similar subject in the Issan Forum, Ozzydom made a post that has served me well,

Dont believe anything you hear, and only 50% of what you see,

Stick with that and you wont go far wrong..

...The MIL made it very clear that no-one was allowed outside of the car, especially the Farang.

The MIL calls you "the Farang"? :) Some members here would go apoplectic if they heard that! :D

Have the wife offer 20,000 25,000 baht have har tell them they want more come up with a chinote. At the price it went ip it is ridiculous & sounds like their Farang fishing.............The one that got away!

Have the wife offer 20,000 25,000 baht have har tell them they want more come up with a chinote. At the price it went ip it is ridiculous & sounds like their Farang fishing.............The one that got away!

Or it could possibly be a Farang Troll fishing on Thai Visa, a slim chance I know, but still a chance.... :D

Though the general consensus will be a Rip off price aimed at the Farang , and of course the Thais that you care about are in on it too, heck, they're even on commision, in fact that's the only reason your GF ever met you, it was part of an elaborate plan that has come to fruition right now........

Run for the hills, dump her, etc etc etc...........................

Or..

Buy that land for the missus at a great price, I would ! :D

Then again, I can afford it, the whingers and whiners usually cannot. :):D

Or it could possibly be a Farang Troll fishing on Thai Visa, a slim chance I know, but still a chance.... :D

Though the general consensus will be a Rip off price aimed at the Farang , and of course the Thais that you care about are in on it too, heck, they're even on commision, in fact that's the only reason your GF ever met you, it was part of an elaborate plan that has come to fruition right now........

Run for the hills, dump her, etc etc etc...........................

Or..

Buy that land for the missus at a great price, I would ! :D

Then again, I can afford it, the whingers and whiners usually cannot. :):D

You're the most anti farang on here. Grow up, showing off about money :D like a little kid. And before you come at me let me tell you I can afford it too.

Is there some way of finding out what price land / houses have sold for previously eg as in the Lands Titles Office in Oz where, for a few bucks, you can find out who owns a place and how much they paid for it.

Thats what the father actually did(told him we would only buy at 40k)... we'll see if he ends up coming back and advising he will sell at the original price.

Haven't been to see it yet, but from my understanding it is not in the fields it is right on the paved road and already has Electricity/water meter. The area is fast developing and Muek Lek is very popular location for Thai tourists and vacation homes for the Thai upper class.

From what I have heard the local ampur just hasn't gotten around to issuing chanotes for most of the land in the area, but they will eventually.

From talking to my wife and her father the 100,000-150,00 thb for 1/2 rai is about the market rate for the area if it had a chanote.

What happened to the original price of 40k?

So ummm, suddenly your wife and inlaw are saying the 150k is the correct price?

Smells a bit fishy don't you think?

...The MIL made it very clear that no-one was allowed outside of the car, especially the Farang.

The MIL calls you "the Farang"? :D Some members here would go apoplectic if they heard that! :D

nahh it goes right over their clueless heads!

i take it as mil protecting her cash cow, he is only to be milked by her family :):D .

you can tell a lot by how posters express themselves!

Edited by piglet373

You should have known well that this was absolutely gonna happen. Why didn't you instruct your wife/father-in-law NOT to mention you were a mega wealthy westener.

I hope lesson well learnt for next time. That is if opportunity comes knocking again.

You should feign interest in buying the land – and tell him you need to 'think about it' for a while'.

If you get the act right, while you are 'thinking about it' him and his family will be making wild plans of what they are going to do with all that extra money they are going to extract out of the witless farang.

Oh I love that! Good idea!, I really hope he dose that and thouse bigoted bastards end up looking even more stupid then they already are.

You should have known well that this was absolutely gonna happen. Why didn't you instruct your wife/father-in-law NOT to mention you were a mega wealthy westener.

I hope lesson well learnt for next time. That is if opportunity comes knocking again.

When we were searching for our farms/ land my wife and I just let BIL do it all..no one knew about the "Farang" until the papers were signed....same goes for buying anything from fish in the market, to T shirts to washing machines to fertilizer.stay in the truck!!, let wifey/gf do it all!! You'll save enough to buy her some more gold lol...

When we were searching for our farms/ land my wife and I just let BIL do it all..no one knew about the "Farang" until the papers were signed....same goes for buying anything from fish in the market, to T shirts to washing machines to fertilizer.stay in the truck!!, let wifey/gf do it all!! You'll save enough to buy her some more gold lol...

yup, its just a matter of which thai will benefit from farang wealth, best be it your wifes family!

the happy content ones seem to know how to play the game!

Edited by piglet373

Oh I love that! Good idea!, I really hope he dose that and thouse bigoted bastards end up looking even more stupid then they already are.

It's a very well known fact, that many Thais increase a price if a Farang is involved. Similar to back home, if a Sheik would be involved. To counter that behaviour by mean action, is clearly contra-productive.

The MIL calls you "the Farang"? :) Some members here would go apoplectic if they heard that! :D

No, she use my name, but this time I think she did call me Farang, just to highlight one of the reason for staying in the car.

Anyway, she understand the negotiation process, and that it is not wise to show too much interest in what you want to buy, being Farang or Thai.