My Perceptions Of The Way Farang Are Treated In Thailand

JohnGotti

Sir,

It's about a guy saying "Hello am I still being a donkey today?" on daily basis.

His friends said "Yes, please be happy! You are still the same."

The frineds answer him for they love him so much and don't want to let him down.

Lovely and happy people, especially the OP who can't wipe off his self esteem big smile..

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW,

Young farang should be "Farang num" ฝรั่งหนุ่ม not "Farang noi" ฝรั่งน้อย

Sometime we use "ืnoi - น้อย" to state that it's the small piece of thing such as จดหมายน้อย (Jodmai noi - small note)

In this case it has a sense of Isan dialect, people say Jodmai noi a lot in BKK office but its not official language.

Farang noi has closer meaning to small Farang kid.

And when you want to say I am a handsome Farang, it's "ผมเป็นฝรั่งรูปหล่อนะครับ" - Pom Penh Farang Roob Lor ์Na Krub.

It's funny for one to say this but I think you can manage it. It will make girl laugh and fall for you quicker.

Good luck.

Edited by oldsparrow

I feel like being young, or a farang-noi if you will, still puts me in a bit of a novelty category in terms of my interaction with Thais. Sometimes I will go somewhere, be it a shop or restaurant or hotel and I observe that Thai people are much more friendly towards me than they are to you, a 40,50,60 year old farang.

Now, there are likely a couple of reasons for this:

1. There are more of you around so they are more likely to have experienced a problem with one of you. You are not at all a novelty.

2. There are so many of you around that its like "Oh god, here comes another farang and his mia"

3. Simply being precieved as attractive is very valuable in the eyes of Thai people. So they look at me and think "Oh he looks like David Beckman/Tom Cruise/etc"... whereas with you, its like "Oh god, he's gonna ask me a million dumb questions and make me speak English".

4. I dress well, so might continue them in their line of thinking "Is he a famous athlete or model or movie star?", whereas when they see you they are thinking "Why does that farang sweat so much?"

Now, sometimes I am kinda scared for the future, how I will be treated in Thailand. To be honest, again, I really don't feel like you guys get treated very well. I border on the line of saying that Thai people more or less hate you. Its not fair to many of you who fall into the minority and do behave, dress and act well... Because you are simply a victim of the overall perception earned by farang in Thailand. Its as though you were to walk through the ghetto and see a young black male with baggy pants and tattoos. Maybe he is a law student but you will probably assume he is to be avoided and perhaps selling crack...

The perception of farang in Thailand, is again, "Oh god, xxxxxxxx" or "Oh god, xxxxxxxx + I hope I can get some money out of him".

Thoughts? Has the ship sailed? Is there any way to save the farang image in Thailand? In 30 years, will I receive the same eye rolling, "please someone blow my brains out", sighing, "why god me" reaction from Thai people where ever I go that you guys are receiving now? Will I be the one posting about how much Thai people hate me and how all they are interested in is my money? Will I be the one inquiring about sin sot and complaining about the sick buffalo stories?

HI CUPCAKE :-)

Boy you have some type of experience that you wish to keep under wraps!

Just be an honest caring person and after a while people will appreciate you, and not just as a toy boy who might have some $.

Just like everywhere there are good and bad people and I'm guessing you are the latter in the wrong place! with a log on your shoulder ... sweetheart.

Keep travelling ... the baby fat as well as the imature thoughts will fade ;-)

ps.

I'm not in your above age suggestion either. (younger) not nearly as pretty as you though i'm sure.

A boy that not only thinks he's a gangster but a man as well. For somebody who is so handsome, educated and well to do you seem to spend an awful lot of time on the internet :D Or are we waiting for the pocket money from mummy to arrive so you can go strut your stuff in town and impress all the ladies and make all the old farangs jealous ? :D

As my old dad once said " Boy you've got an awful lot to learn " And that goes double for living in Thailand :)

sounds like johngotti walked the street one night.

a few bargirls gave the usual hello handsome man as they do to anyone in possession of a wallet, and those comments that he never received in the west went to his head.

So funny I spit out my "choppers" right into my bedpan. But that's okay, my 18 year old hunny-pie likes it when I gum her. She giggles a lot.

Keep 'em comin' young stud! Are you realated to that bad man in Rhode Island?

God, I wish I could keep comin' ... but at least I have my penile implant set to max! She likes that, too. She moans a lot.

:):D:D:D:D:D:D

I feel like being young, or a farang-noi if you will, still puts me in a bit of a novelty category in terms of my interaction with Thais. Sometimes I will go somewhere, be it a shop or restaurant or hotel and I observe that Thai people are much more friendly towards me than they are to you, a 40,50,60 year old farang.

1. There are more of you around so they are more likely to have experienced a problem with one of you. You are not at all a novelty.

2. There are so many of you around that its like "Oh god, here comes another farang and his mia"

3. Simply being precieved as attractive is very valuable in the eyes of Thai people. So they look at me and think "Oh he looks like David Beckman/Tom Cruise/etc"... whereas with you, its like "Oh god, he's gonna ask me a million dumb questions and make me speak English".

4. I dress well, so might continue them in their line of thinking "Is he a famous athlete or model or movie star?", whereas when they see you they are thinking "Why does that farang sweat so much?"

Now, sometimes I am kinda scared for the future, how I will be treated in Thailand. To be honest, again, I really don't feel like you guys get treated very well. I border on the line of saying that Thai people more or less hate you. Its not fair to many of you who fall into the minority and do behave, dress and act well... Because you are simply a victim of the overall perception earned by farang in Thailand. Its as though you were to walk through the ghetto and see a young black male with baggy pants and tattoos. Maybe he is a law student but you will probably assume he is to be avoided and perhaps selling crack...

The perception of farang in Thailand, is again, "Oh god, xxxxxxxx" or "Oh god, xxxxxxxx + I hope I can get some money out of him".

Thoughts? Has the ship sailed? Is there any way to save the farang image in Thailand? In 30 years, will I receive the same eye rolling, "please someone blow my brains out", sighing, "why god me" reaction from Thai people where ever I go that you guys are receiving now? Will I be the one posting about how much Thai people hate me and how all they are interested in is my money? Will I be the one inquiring about sin sot and complaining about the sick buffalo stories?

:) Take a running <deleted> at a rolling doughnut.

:) Take a running <deleted> at a rolling doughnut.

Take a flying <deleted> at the moon :D

My farang noi actually is good looking. All the ladies love him.

He's nine.

Hello John, i came across similar situations where a elder person was treathed somewhat a bit "colder" or just lets say in a more "formal way" by the staff in charge, however my perception of that was not that they were just more friendly towards me because of the age, to the contrary it seems that in the thai culture the elderly are much more respected then in some western cultures, so these thais probably were just staying as much "formal" as they could to avoid appearing as disrespecting the elder customer, then when they meet you as a younger person they might have felt more relaxed about the situation and have taken some more confidence in a friendly way, that's possibly an explanation, however there are so many different situations and circumstances in this world that sometime it become so difficult to really understand what's happening around us.

Now, sometimes I am kinda scared for the future, how I will be treated in Thailand. To be honest, again, I really don't feel like you guys get treated very well. I border on the line of saying that Thai people more or less hate you.

I think than more than "hate" that would be just "greed" and i noticed that they also tend to scam each others as well as the farangs or those very unlucky other ethnicity that got a less fortunate fate (ie: Burmese workers), the worse of all however are the so called "bad farang professionals", this last category despite in so many cases not having any economic issues (ie: being starving for food because of no money) still like to litterally steal their customers money, some of which just try to legitimate their theft by saying "...this is the way it works in Thailand, so if you don't like it then that's going to be the reason of your failure...", how to justify this kind of attitudes? in my very own personal views i define this kind of business like "a russian roulette game", before or later this "clever" kind of business man is going to get the "bullet" kind of customer he deserves and is not really a point of "if" but more a "when", while a "poor" scammer stealing to survive might get some sort of compassion, these rotten elements really should get no simpathy at all.

Thailand somehow resemble how some parts of the old Europe was not so long time ago, i still recall when some of the elderly were talking about how on their little town was possible to leave the front door of the house unlock, the same with the windows, car, etc....try to do it now and spot the differences....so what are the reasons behind these bad changes? why the moral values are going all in the waste bin(and Thailand is no exception)? I am an atheist but i believe that the loss of religion values in this country (or better to say the moral values in it) are playing a big part, people watch the tv way too much and the wrong things too, those "lakorns" where you see people killing each others, fighting, disbehaving, you name it...are just telling people "look, this is the way the world works, learn how to be a winner in this way", all our knowledge is based on things we have learned to copy and use for our benefit, apart from some TV posters which are absolutely "self made" :) that's what it is, so how can we can made something to change in a better way? maybe by being ourself first what we would like others to be too? it seems reasonable to me

The word conceited was made for this joker. I have been here for over 10 years and my experience doesn't match your "perception". Maybe having a good well paying job helps. I don't invoke the "Oh god, he's gonna ask me a million dumb questions and make me speak English" reaction because I've learned to speak Thai.Can't you? You aren't from the same Gotti family that were in a crappy TV show about a bunch of spoiled obnoxious kids who went on holiday to Italy with their rich mother are you? If so is your mother still here? Do you really think that people here are really going to mistake you for a football or movie star? I think people might be laughing at you a lot more than you think. You don't sweat either! What do you do to regulate your body temp? Pant like a dog? Wonders never cease

With morons like this walking free in Thailand makes you wanna pack your bags and move back to 'Blighty'

With morons like this walking free in Thailand makes you wanna pack your bags and move back to 'Blighty'

He's not a moron is he though! Otherwise he wouldn't be able post like one......His posts are just too cranky and funny...

Youth is favoured in most western countries as well, no surprise it's the same here.

Of course, its human nature.

I pulled up in my car at the bottom of a skytrain station this morning to pick up my friends, a group of Thai female University students. There was a farang lugging his mia up the street towards the bus stop and I really cannot express the sense of defeat/hatred in his eyes as he watched these micro-skirted vixens pile themselves into my car. He kept shaking his head as if to say, "Where God did I go wrong?". I had to pull over at the side of the road a little ways down because the emotions this farang poured out towards me were so powerful and they so clearly invoked the humility of humanity, that I was overwhelmed and afraid that I would crash. I was rocked back into reality when I realized what one of these girls was doing in my lap, she called it "practicing changing gears".

Edited by JohnGotti

Youth is favoured in most western countries as well, no surprise it's the same here.

I pulled up in my car at the bottom of a skytrain station this morning to pick up my friends, a group of Thai female University students. There was a farang lugging his mia up the street towards the bus stop and I really cannot express the sense of defeat/hatred in his eyes as he watched these micro-skirted vixens pile themselves into my car. He kept shaking his head as if to say, "Where God did I go wrong?". I had to pull over at the side of the road a little ways down because the emotions this farang poured out towards me were so powerful and they so clearly invoked the humility of humanity, that I was overwhelmed and afraid that I would crash. I was rocked back into reality when I realized what one of these girls was doing in my lap, she called it "practicing changing gears".

Someday the old guy will be you. :)

..is this a joke? Funny though.

Btw..some Thai have a really false perception of how we look. Often too flattering. They use to call out "natalie" to me, saying I looked like Natalie Glebova. Dont get too flattered or believe the hype, you are likely not as "handsum" as you think they think you are.

Heck..even this guy might get told he looks like Tom Cruise here! :):

large_superbad.jpg

I think the problem is a great misunderstanding.

People EXPECT RESPECT, coz you're a falang? It doesn't work..... who cares if you are young, old, alien or else.

I'm younger and have felt a little about what the OP was talking about, but then woke up and said "who cares". I don't need your respect, I don't even need to want it.

Most of the time i always get treated well and respectfully. Then again, i give it in return. Occasionally I have been treated with a bit less than the usual good manners, but not often, usually from younger or similar aged women. Men have always shown very good manner towards me.

I personally think it has nothing to do with age, but how you present and conduct yourself.

I personally think it has nothing to do with age, but how you present and conduct yourself.

Sorry but JG is 100% correct; the second I turned 50 it was OVER. Just like flipping a light switch :)

Please, please, please, post your photo can not wait to see your hansom face to show my wife; sure she will faint with your devilish good looks …..But that’s the risk I have to take!!! :D What a dick you are and as quoted, you seem to spend lots of your valuable time posting on TV, unless like me and been paid for it????? Must be hard life having to stay inside keeping away from your adoring fans in case of been mobbed. :D

Tom cruise, David Beckham, so that’s why you stay inside you’re a short athletic footballer who talks like La La from telly tubbies, me thinks your La La. :) few other words alsol but ladies read TV.

You must be very insecure. :)

Well, she was sitting next to a knob.

Reading through the posts I could kinda relate to some of what you were saying and in some parts agreed even, and I thought at the time Maigo6 was out of order as I know he usually blindly defends all things Thai, but then I read this one from you and you lost me. Upon closer scrutiny you come across as being quite conceited and an inmature show-off. Enjoy it while it lasts.